Saturday, December 18, 2021

Merry Day #18.....

 ~ Welcome to my ~


Merry Day #18!

Today we travel....
to celebrate Christmas with Keith's Mom. Honestly the only thing I am looking forward to is the pizza (that sounds horrible and I don't mean it like it sounds). She always has pizza from a local pizza place and it is the pizza we grew up with and no place on earth makes it like this little joint. It's a smallish affair with Keith's brother and his family. Then our family. It's small, low key and fun. But I really look forward to the pizza. HA HA HA! This is really the only Christmas get together Keith and I attend besides our own. When my kids were little it was a flurry of having to go to place A, B, C, D and then come home exhausted and our own children didn't have the experience of getting up on Christmas morning to open their own presents here left by the jolly man himself.

So....
in 2004, I was pregnant with Ellie and I decided - I wasn't doing this with 4 kids and travelling all over Southern Indiana. That we would visit during the Christmas time-frame but the actual holiday would be spent in our home. Wasn't a popular idea with some extended family - but frankly I didn't care. I know that sounds harsh but honestly the day is meant to be reflective and in my mind stress free and spent creating your own traditions. I was still working in the hospital at that time so I had to work Christmas Day most years. Christmas should not be one day - it should be carried in your heart all days of the year.

Therefore all that back story to say....
this year we are celebrating with our family on Dec. 24....
the actual day will likely be just Keith and I as our other kids drive around to their significant others and friend's family homes. And you know what?! I'm GOOD with that! I have planned for Keith and I quiet and relaxation and just he and I being together. He likely will be listening to his music (operatic rock - don't know what that is - google it. I personally DO NOT care for it - but he listens all the time) and reading politics (ha ha!) and I likely will be painting or cross stitching. Quiet reflective times just he and I. I love that. 

Lots of rambling today and zero cross stitch....
but I'm working on what I hope to be a fabulous finish...
Almost finished on "Vonna Day" yesterday!

Merry Day #18!
Merry Christmas!

All my love, 
Vonna xxxx




6 comments:

  1. Vonna we did the same for years, every Christmas morning would be a rush to visit my parent then marks parents. We go to see the grandchildren now so they can stay at their homes and enjoy what Santa has left them. I've found lately that people don't generally agree when you do what's best for yourself, like you I don't really care about that anymore, which is not the same as not caring about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonna, enjoy your pizza meal. Have a slice for me! I like your plan for Christmas Day. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and enjoy your pizza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Blessed Christmas Vonna & Family: We have always gone to Michaels family for Christmas Eve except for two iun 45 years.
    This year we will go early11:00 and leave early 19:00 then Midnight Mass, ( I want a little time with Mike before Mass) On Christmas day just some stitching and eating relaxing and maybe a short 20 minute nap.

    Merry Christmas
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about traveling around on Christmas. When the grandkids started arriving, I would take the kids on Christmas Eve, decorate cookies and decorate Grammy's tree, so that the parents could get all the last minute "stuff" done. Christmas morning was for the kids to open presents with mom and dad and play. Late afternoon was for a pot luck type dinner at a different house each year. We all live within 25 miles of each other to this day, 28 years later. Christmas is for remembering what it really stands for and reflecting on how we can do the next year better. Hugs from Arizona,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all have a soft spot for our hometown pizza. My sister and I live 3 hours and 1.5 hours, respectively, away from our hometown but every once in a while we will make a trip up there for pizza. We're planning to go again the week after Christmas. Enjoy your festivities!

    ReplyDelete