Saturday, March 16, 2024

March 2024.....

 ~ Many Greetings and a Warm Welcome to my Blog ~

Well....
another month has passed and let's go with what has been going on around here!

I framed myself Santa of the Forest by Lavender and Lace - Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum

Here he is in his frame I chose: 

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We painted our living room in his honor: 

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Valspar ~ American Restoration Color: Fairmont Suite Gold


We created a "gallery" wall of a large portion of my stitching AND bought new canvas prints of our family: 
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Thought I'd show you my "Paula Vaughan" half bath: 

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


AND...my "Patriotic Room"...
Untitled

Untitled


Here's some stitching I've been working on recently: 
Untitled

Untitled

DMC 2/2 on Zweigart Platinum

Will look like this someday:
Untitled

Started my next EPIC Santa: 

Untitled

DMC 2/2 on 28 ct. Vintage Country Mocha

He will look like this someday: 

Untitled

Worked on my Prairie Schooler Angel Project: 

Untitled

Here it is to date: 

Untitled

Would you like my charted "Gloria in Excelsis Deo"? 

Remember please: GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE! I'm not a "designer" but I took my time to chart for ME and I SHARE with you.

Started and finished this little gem: 
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
"Here Comes the Robins" by With Thy Needle and Thread on 32 count vintage country mocha called for colors. finished into a flatfold. Gifted to a dear friend that was going through a rough time. 

NOW....for the big project: 
My daughter, Katie, is pregnant. She is due in July. We do not know the sex. We will not be finding out. We are Catholic, so infant Baptism will happen. I and all my babies were Baptized in my Grandfather's Baptismal gown that my great-great Grandmother made before his birth. It is now 125 years old. Sometime after Ellie's Baptism the gown had to be retired. It had gotten tissue paper thin and it was close to ruin. So a relative who has possession of it, repaired it and framed it in a shadow box. My grandfather's lineage was German Catholic. He had 8 siblings and each of his siblings had children some of them up to 12. All of my mother's generation had a lot of children and were Baptized in the gown and all of my generation's children were Baptized in the gown. So there were many, many little babies dedicated to Christ in that beautiful, handsewn gown. 

It wasn't really "fancy" as it was made by a woman who had very little. Made of cotton and some lace it was a long 36 inch gown fall with a under skirt full slip. There are several sets of twins in my family line - my own being one of them. When twins were born to the family, one twin wore the gown and the other wore a white undershirt and the slip (as the slip was sleeveless.) It was beautiful and of course a true heirloom and family treasure. 

I want that for my lineage and future generations....so I decided I was going to make one like it as closely as I can to the original. Am I dressmaker? No. Have a sewn clothes before? Yes, limitedly...I made some scrub tops when I worked and a couple of just plain jumper dresses. That's the extent of my knowledge. 

I bought an Antique pattern that was fashioned on a dress from the early 1900's. I read and read. Researched. Watched videos. Read some more....

YESTERDAY....I decided enough was enough and I needed to just jump in. Following are photos I took over the last 24 hours. 

Untitled

Practicing Whip and Roll lace hemming and some very poor attempts at embroidery: 

Untitled

Showing I really liked my pin stitch I decided the top of the lace edge needed: 

Untitled


Untitled

Bullion Rosette with 12 perle DMC cotton

Untitled

Bullion Rosette with 1 strand of DMC cotton:

Untitled

Here they are in comparison:

Untitled

Imagine a neckline of little rosettes: 

Untitled

Shell Hemming: (this is all hand sewing)

Untitled


So....Here's what I happened in the last 24 hours:
1. Got Started.
2. Realized I think I'm going to need more fabric because I'm likely going to make this thing 4 times over until I'm satisfied.
3. Bough a bolt of fabric - better safe than sorry.
4. Pre-washed and dried bolt of fabric.
5. Cut out the underskirt slip.
6. Started sewing.
7. Did French seams!
8. Started doing Shell hems.
9. Crying is cleansing.
10. More crying is even more cleansing.
11. Thought: why in the hell did I think I could do this?
12. Prayed.
13. I AM GOING TO DO THIS!
14. Figured out rolled and whip hems with lace edge.
15. Wanted a more decorative pin stitch along the edge....got it!  (on scraps)
16. Took A LOT of notes.
17. Went to bed at 1 am.
18. Up at 6 am after dreaming about a better way to go about this.
19. Realized underskirt number one ispractice and I learned a lot. 
20. Practiced bullion stitch roses....12 pearl? 2 strands of DMC? Found 1 strand looks best....Imagine along the neckline of underskirt....
21. I'll begin again. And make it better!
22. I hope....

I have shared my progress with others online.....I try to ALWAYS be encouraging. I never give my opinions, unless asked. I KNOW I am not the first person to ever do this. I KNOW that I have much more sophisticated sewing machine than there was 40 years or even 100 years ago. I KNOW I am lucky that I have these tools at my disposal. I DO NOT think I know everything. AND if I have one more person tell me that they embroided the names of the babies that wore the gown they made...I AM GOING TO SCREAM! 

I know that people are trying to be helpful in most cases....but honestly...do you all ever have a vision and you are trying to make THAT VISION a reality? I don't want someone else's vision or ideas. I have my own. One thing I am doing is creating a little drawstring bag that will house a journal that I will put all the details good and bad of my creating this heirloom. I will ask each child wearing the gown to have their name and parents name, date of birth and date of Baptism, name of church and priest Baptizing the baby to be put into the journal and kept with the gown. I have thought very hard about all of the details. 

In closing...
I had my 4th Chemical Peel, February 27....here I am the day of the 4th peel: 
Untitled


here I am now....
not bad for a middle aged, chubby woman, I'll take it!

Untitled

Thank you folks for sticking with me and being my friends! 
Thank you for your encouragement!
Thank you for your friendship!
Thank you for loving stitching and crafting as much as I do!

I'm going out to lunch....
 with a young church friend of mine that I sponsored during her RCIA journey. She's 26 and I'm sort of a mother figure to her. I am going to put all of this sewing aside, have a great time with my friend. Come back and TACKLE this gown again. 

Until Next Time....

Love in Stitches, 
Vonna xxxx

13 comments:

  1. This gown is going to be PHENOMENAL!! And what a treasure you are creating or your family. Our family has a "family" baptismal gown as well, but it is a simple crocheted thing with a plain muslin underslip and, as far as I know, no one knows who made it originally. My granddaughter was baptized in it this past August though. Yours is going to be an incredible work of art and even your "trial" pieces will be priceless treasures. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 1 strand bouillon ! I love the bouillon rosette but it never even entered my mind to try that. Not sure if I spelled that correctly either. I will have to try it just for fun. Well of your works.are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an artist! What a treasure your home is with all the works of heart you have on display. Love every piece you shared. Paula Vaughn has a special place in my heart as she is the designer my mother and I collected when I first learned to cross stitch back in the 80s, I still have the patterns but only one is finished. Your baptismal gown is going to be a treasure. Good luck to you in creating it. You will do it, I have no doubt. Thank you for sharing. Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vonna, the baptismal gown is a labour of love and should, no, it WILL be treasured by generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear Vonna! I love your Santa, your gallery of walls with your stitching and your family canvases. What a treasure you are creating in the baptism gown for your first grandbaby and those who follow! I hope you enjoyed your lunch out with your friend. Thinking of you!
    PS We were watching you on the big TV in the Notforgotten Farm studio yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your GORGEOUS Santa finish ! It looks beautiful on your freshly painted stitching wall. I love the other wall with the family pictures too. I'm a huge fan of Paula Vaughan stitching and enjoyed seeing all of yours. Thanks for sharing your new stitching projects, I'm happy for you to be stitching again. I know it's a big project but the new Baptismal Gown will be a family treasure and something to be used for generations to come. You are making it with love !! The drawstring bag is a wonderful idea and a special addition to the gown. In closing, you look beautiful and shine from the inside and out. Happy Stitching and Sewing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vonna you have so much talent and are so inspiring. I love how you project reality. The idea of the journal is fabulous. I'm sure you'll get there and I reckon you've inspired at least half of us to perhaps let this enter our minds for our future grandbabies. Right now I wouldn't attempt it but just maybe.... thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl and keep going! This will be stunning because you are talented. What an heirloom to pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vonna: Beautiful wall of your stitching finish's, Santa is amazing, perfect frame and matting, thank-you for sharing with us, you have a touch for decorating.
    I am so looking forward to seeing the gown finished, do your own thing then it is your and yours alone, keeping a journal in a bag is a great idea, they can also add the First Communion and Confirmation into the Catholic Faith.
    Your face is lovely, I have never done a chemical peel, maybe its time.
    for me.
    Have fun with your friend, thank-you for sponsering her for RCIA, you are an angel.

    Catherine☘️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vonna: I forgot to mention, can you share a photo of the vintage framed gown with us? just so curious.

    Catherine☘️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you tackling a very important and special project! You got this, Vonna! Can't wait to see the finished gown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new gallery wall! The baptismal gown will be a treasured family heirloom just like your great-great Grandmother made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vonna, Your stitching is impeccable, and your passion our craft is much respected. You will do amazing work on your grand baby’s baptismal gown. I made my granddaughter’s christening gown 13 years ago. My mother passed the previous year, and she had shared her love of needlework with me. One day I was having a particularly difficult time on the gown; I prayed that night to channel my mom. I dreamed and woke up with an answer to my problem! Enjoy this time. You are going to LOVE being a grandma. Thank you! (And I think you’re young and beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete