Wednesday, January 05, 2022

A fantastic season....

~ Hello! dear friends ~

I'm back so that you know I'm going to stick this year :)

We enjoyed a fantastic holiday season this year and here are a few shots of how we spent our precious time together...

Manger Side at Midnight Mass 2021

Untitled

Celebrating Chinese Food Christmas!
(we had cashew chicken, egg rolls, dumplings and crab rangoon - if they want it, they have to wrap it so I made the fillings and here they are wrapping them all up for me to fry)

Untitled

This past fall Keith had a new fireplace insert that is vented installed - a hefty amount to pay, but the payoff is FANTASTIC for ambiance and heat. Chatty loves warming his old bones by the fire :)

Untitled

Hunting the Christmas Pickle and Christmas Bigfoot - a family tradition. Pickle finder gets to open presents first and Bigfoot finder gets a bag of  "scat" Hershey Kisses. 

Untitled

more rolling and wrapping...

Untitled

The cooks...

Untitled

one of our beautiful trees...

Untitled

My Christmas present from Keith. We were junking late fall and I found an old Holly Hobbie. I picked her up and held her and Keith said "Whatcha got there?" I went on to explain that on Christmas 1976 I had received Holly and a couple of her friends for Christmas. How I loved those dolls! I put her down and went on to explain how I'd load them up in my Red Flyer wagon in which I had placed a box and put an old towel or sheet over the box and pretend it was a covered wagon (pretty ingenious if I do say so myself - ha ha!) and I'd pretend we were on the trail to the west like pioneers. 
I didn't get Holly that day....but Keith apparently came home and searched the internet and found every single Holly Hobbie doll. Here they all are, one even came in her original box (albeit a little nasty looking). 

Untitled

Here is our Christmas Feast...

Untitled

New Year's Eve was tame...we ate cake, drank cherry limeades (cherry syrup in sprite with a dash of lime juice) and made recycled Christmas Card Ornaments like we do every year. Would you like to know how to do them? I made a tutorial HERE

Untitled

For the past 3 days (January 2, 3, 4) I have been DEEP cleaning. Since we celebrated the feast of the Epiphany at Mass last Sunday (I know the real day is Jan 6, 12th night...) but I wanted to get Christmas up and winter out so that I could enjoy the last few days of my self-given vacation. Next Monday I'll start finishing again. . . 
Here are some shots of our newly cleaned and winterized home...

Our entry:

Untitled

Living Room...

Untitled

Untitled

Keith wired LED lights on my hutch because I wanted it to light up like my cabinets that he did this summer....


Untitled

Our cabinets...

Untitled

How it looks all together....isn't it great!!

Untitled

Some more winter "places" in our home...

Untitled

My granny's Duncan Phyfe chair with my great-grandmother and her sister's (my great-great aunt Kate) quilts....
Untitled

some more little places I winterized...
(have you noticed that stacked old books is a "thing" in decorating? so I popped down to our local antique mall and picked up some...)

Untitled


So there you go. I did NOT have a New Year's Eve or New Year's Day start in cross stitch....I was too busy soaking up time with my family. We played games and ate. 

Now that the work is done....
TODAY and the following 5 days I get to PLAY!!

I have plans.....and I'll share them in a few days time.

Until next time....
May I also put out my yearly request that if anyone of my blog readers have special prayer intentions please email me (address under the mailbox picture upper right hand side) - I will happily add your request in my prayer journal and pray throughout my days giving my "first fruits" to God each morning.

May you each enjoy a wonderful week ahead!
All my love, 
Vonna xxxx

16 comments:

  1. what a lovely post! thank you, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous first post in 2022! I always enjoy your family posts and this one was no exception. Your home is warm and cozy and filled with love. The new fireplace insert looks awesome along with the lights on your hutch. I hope you enjoy your time off and play to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Vonna: What a beautiful home you have, it looks like it was a very beautiful time at your Christmas Home.
    Can you tell me where you bought that adorable tree in your entry way?

    Happy Blessed New Year
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to tell you I love your Holly Hobbie Dolls.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been enjoying your posts! I'm to old for the Holly Lobby dolls but did have a couple of Barbi dolls that I was constantly sewing for. My joy in needlework started at a very young age. These days are filled with cross stitch and quilting mostly. Did recently purchase a tri-fold-wallet pattern that will become a new wallet for me. Take Care and be safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your house looks just like you: warm and inviting! Happy 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nice clean home looks wonderful! Plus, it looks like a wonderful Christmas was had by all. What a sweet thing your husband did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending you blessings for the new year ! Your home is lovely; so inviting and filled with love. It's always a joy see your family pictures. My favorite picture is the quilts stacked on the chair and your basket filled with the darling dolls. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Vonna, your house is so warm and welcoming! I have enjoyed reading your December posts, just haven't been able to comment due to, well, LIFE! Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vonna, what a wonderful first post of 2022. My son and family and I also celebrate Christmas Eve with Chinese meal after church. Your home is you, as so many others have stated; calm, warm, comfortable and above all creatively beautiful. Enjoy your self-imposed vacation, well deserved and needed to renew your heart. All the best to you and your family for the New Year of 2022. Sending love and many hugs from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year!
    Have you ever made a heart shaped flat cross stitch ornament?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so inspiring. You can cook, clean, stitch, and finish all like a pro. Maybe a little of you will rub off on me. At least in the finishing department...thank you for all your tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vonna...what a lovely and inviting home you have. Holly Hobbies...such a memory. As a child I embroidered two in blue floss, profiles. They are long gone but hopefully well loved. I found the exact pattern on Etsy and bought it. Even if I never stitch them again, when I look at the pattern it makes me smile. What a sweet hubby you have. Blessings to you and yours in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything looks beautiful! So glad you had all your family together for Christmas and New Year!
    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful Holiday season. Enjoy your me time before you go back to finishing. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great stuff, lovely family and home. Thx Vonna. Looks like your holidays were fabulous.

    ReplyDelete