Tuesday, July 04, 2017

It's a Grand Old Flag...

~ Greetings and Warm Welcome ~
to all my sweet friends and blog readers!

I want to wish my fellow countrymen a very hearty Happy Independence Day!
I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy from the top of my head to the tips of my toes...
I wasn't born on the 4th of July but doggone close to it at 5 a.m. on July 5th!
Growing up my family chose to celebrate my birthday on the 4th, since all was together for the holiday, and really as an adult it still sort of gets celebrated on the 4th. . . really we sort of celebrate my birthday all week long ;) HA HA! I'll take it!

I had a very productive Patriotic Stitching Month during June. I'd like to recap what I stitched...as well as share with you a couple of new finishes:

"Betsy's Tart"
by Plum Street Samplers
I stitched this 3 strands over 2 on 25 ct. Vintage Country Mocha
the frame is a clock from Hobby Lobby that was gutted and painted.
Plum Street Samplers - Betsy's tart

I heavily converted the design to my own colors using Classic Colorworks and DMC.
I even placed them differently than the pattern called for. I sort of wanted Betsy and the flag to pop off the fabric and all the rest to sort of be the background of it. I think I achieved it. 
The colors I used were:
Classic Colorworks
Bandana
Wavy Navy
Toasted Marshmallow
Black Coffee

DMC
642
822
318
414

So how I placed these were:
Bandana: Flag Stripes, one balloon, outer loops of the side swag and scattered inside the quaker stars
Black Coffee: Shirtwaist, main skirt color, shoes, hair, flag pole and 1776
Wavy Navy: Overskirt, field of blue on flag, scattered inside quaker stars, smallest loop in side swag and one balloon.
Toasted Marshmallow:   accent on Betsy's Skirt, throat lace on Betsy, Betsy's hat, stripes on flag, middle stripe on side swag and one balloon
642: horizontal stripes on skirt, outside of quaker stars
822: vertical stripes on skirt and balloon dots 
414: one balloon and Let Freedom Ring wording
318: one balloon

This totally doesn't follow as charted...but I'm very pleased with how it turned out. 

Here's a recap on my June Patriotic Stitching and my June Patriotic Finishing for ME!

Untitled

I'm so freaking proud of myself! Someday, in the next year...ha ha ha! I'm going to show for "reals" my Patriotic Room. It's gonna knock your socks off! There are still a few projects though that I want to do before I show it!


I hope I have as successful of "Christmas in July" stitching as my "Patriotic June" stitching turned out to be :)

Until next time...
SMILE real big because God loves you and so do I
Pat someone on the back...you never know what they are dealing with, your pat may be just the thing they need to make it through the day!
Be kind...because kindness matters.
Love your neighbor as yourself...its hard, but worth the effort.
Hugs and love in stitches,
Vonna xxxx

38 comments:

  1. Happy Fourth to you! Can't wait to see your "for real" patriotic room--am sure it is going to be fabulous! Beautiful red, white and blue patriotic stitches--is inspiring me to return to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!!! Happy 4th! Happy happy birthday! and, if I ever stitch Betsy I'm using your color conversion - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're on your way to your patriotic room! Great finishing on everything. Those tart designs are starting to grow on me. Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a wonderful day! Your finish is great. I love the color changes and the way you finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that clock! I have to start thinking outside the box for my finishes. This was such a great idea. Happy 4th and Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all of your patriotic stitching. And that clock....just awesome! Happy Independence Day to you, and have a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your stitches and finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday today and tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful stitching as always. I really like your Betsy conversion. Have a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever you are using the clock for your framing. I really need to start thinking outside of the box for ideas. Can't wait to see the patriotic room !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Vonna, your patriotic stitches (and finishes) are fabulous. I love your Betsy and love how you finished her. I wish you a joy-filled birthday tomorrow. Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing your vision for your patriotic room come together so beautifully and creatively :) Your clock and Uncle Sam hat finishing ideas are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the way from Portugal, Happy Birthday dear friend. May all your dreams come true (the Patriotic Room is on te way, so one done)!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 4th July and Happy Birthday! I love how you customised that clock, it's adorable. Can't wait to see your patriotic room.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vonna, your finishes are wonderful, the conversion of the HL clock to display is brilliant!! WE hope you have a wonderful birthday celebration today!! Mary&RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Vonna!!
    I love all your patriotic finishes. You have a beautiful collection and more to come.
    The clock finish is stunning; another of your creative ideas.
    I look forward to what you share next time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Vonna. Love all your June collection. I so enjoy your blog and seeing what you have been up to. Your ideas are great. Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday! You did such a great job on that patriotic clock piece... what a great conversion, all around! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Betsy's Tart. Of course, everything you finish is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how you took the clock and turned it into some special. You always come up with a great idea. Waiting to see your red, white and blue room.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look great! The up-cycled clock is just-the-thing for Betsy!!! I'm looking forward to your XMas in July happenings; maybe I can join you in spirit by squeezing something in, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely patriotic stitching.
    Happy Birthday from Texas!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday Vonna.

    Beautiful patriotic stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday, Vonna! Hope you're having a great one! Your Betsy Ross "clock" is absolutely adorable. You couldn't have found a better way to finish it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday Vonna - Enjoy your day! and thank you for always sharing and inspiring with your lovely finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday ❤🎉🎉🎉🎂🎂🎂❤

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your stitching is lovely! Look forward to seeing your patriotic room.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely stitching and finishing! Love the clock too! Thanks for sharing your changes. Now I have to get that chart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally love the stitching but even more, your wonderful attitude toward life!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love all your patriotic projects, they are superb and I look forward to seeing THAT ROOM:) Happy belated birthday, I hope it was a great day for you with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Vonna: Beautiful projects, I am looking forward to seeing your patriotic room.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such beautiful stitching! I love seeing how you've finished the patriotic pieces & look forward to seeing your patriotic room too. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Patriotic month and Christmas in July! Love your Betsy , just awesome. Thanks for sharing your conversion. Your finishing and stitching is so creative and awe inspiring. I hope you know how much everything you do to build people up and give confidence to others is appreciated. You are truly A child of God. Hugs Mel

    ReplyDelete
  34. A belated happy birthday .........I may be late, but the feeling is just as hearty!!!

    Your stitching is beautiful and you have such creativity with your finishing. The clock frame is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful group of patriotic stitches - a favorite theme of mine. I learn so much and get so many wonderful ideas from your posts Vonna. You are a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ooohhh, these are beautiful! I love patriotic designs, and you've done a gorgeous job stitching these. Lovely finishing too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Belated happy birthday Vonna! You are doing so well with your patriotic stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Vona,
    This is so beautiful, you have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher