Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Diagonal Pin Stitch . . . .

Greetings and Warm Welcome to all my Blog Readers!

I have a new:
  Tips, Trick and Technique
that I'd like to share with you...
I think that you might find it most useful. 
today's feature is:

The Diagonal Pin Stitch
Why Would you use this stitch?

1. When stitching isolated stitches (i.e. stars, snowflakes, etc)
2. When using over-dyed threads where using the "loop" start isn't feasible
3. When using odd number threads therefore making the loop obsolete (1, 3, etc. strands)
4. When using blending filament, metallic threads, or blended needles (tweeds)


 How do you do the Diagonal Pin Stitch?
Just like this:

STEP ONE: 
bring your needle up (from under the fabric)  at 1, then go down at 2:
leavimg about 1/4 inch (or less) of thread tail on back at 1
PIN STITCH STEP 1

STEP TWO:
Come up at 3 with your needle (this will effectively catch the "tail" of thread left at 1 because we are doubling back across where we started), go down at 4. This is the BOTTOM LEG of your cross stitch. TRY TUGGING...that is a well anchored stitch with little to no waste of thread! 
If you want to clip the tail, clip it now. Mine are typically so short, they get caught in the back leg and don't even need clipping because they are well hidden and anchored on the back of the fabric. 

PIN STITCH STEP 2

THIS JUST ILLUSTRATES WHAT THE BOTTOM LEG OF THE CROSS STITCH WILL LOOK LIKE:

PIN STITCH BOTTOM LEG

STEP 3:
come up with your needle at 5 and go down at 6. Here is your completed X. 
1.) If this is a isolated stitch, end off by tucking the ends around the leg of the stitch on the backside of the fabric 2-3 times and clip.
2. if you are starting a color, commence stitching! End your thread as you normally would - by tucking under stitches and clipping when space/color is completed.

PIN STITCH COMPLETE

For all my stitching friends...
try this! It is stitching life altering! 

Just a little Tip, Trick, Technique hint from me to you because caring is sharing!

Until next time, 
hugs in stitches!
Vonna xxxx

31 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Vonna -- for the tip and the illustrations. I am going to try this later when I pick up my stitching. Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow such clear precise instructions Vonna! You are the best! Thank you so much I think this will be invaluable! Alyx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice new stitching tutorial. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks I will give this a try "

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent tutorial, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks--will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this!!!! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so sweet to continually share your skills with us! I've learned so much. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Vonna I am a visual learner and this helps me see what you have been showing on your video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonna, I sat down with my stitching tonight and tried this technique....oh my goodness, thank you so much for your clear directions. I love this method of starting. I had seen others use it but could never really figure it out. So easy and so neat...thanks so much.

      Delete
  10. Thank you Vonda. Will try this tonight. Love your blog and floss tube.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Vonna for the great tip. RJ @stitching friends forever

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, thank you!!! This has always been a problem for me. I will be trying your suggestion tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched your latest video and have been using this starter stitch ever since. It is wonderful! I am working on shortening that little tail, but hopeful that I'll eventually not have to clip my thread. Thank you, Vonna. Your tips are always so helpful, and your generosity in sharing your ideas is very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! I have seen instructions for a very different pin stitch but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I know this one will work as tried and tested by you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now you make me want to do my nativity scene all over again... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for another instructional tutorial, you are so generous with your time and talent. Mary@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Vonna, I really appreciate your tutorials, hints and tips. I'm going to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been trying to figure this out for a long time! Thank you SO much for this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing and caring! (Here's where you get a hug!) You are so good at teaching with step by step pictures! I am so excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tip, thank you Vonna. I use a lot of the regular pin stitch but never thought to do it this way. The pinhead with two threads is normally too bulky but this way it wouldn't add any extra poofyness to the stitch. Super good, will try this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tip. I will use this technique and always think of you when i successfully do stars and snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Vonna, I will try this next time I have an isolated stitch - fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the tip, Vonna. I will have to give this a try next time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for this excellent tip !! Your directions are wonderful too.....so easy to follow and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the great tip, Vonna.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Will definitely be using this stitch! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I watched your video the other day and tried the pin stitch that very night. Game. Changer. OMG - I have stitched for 20 years, and this is - hands down- the best start I have tried (and I have tried a bunch, let me tell you!) Thank you so much for sharing! It's nice to know that I can still learn something new even after so many years of stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Vonna! I haven't watched your latest video yet, but armed with the photos and your instructions I am now using the diagonal pin stitch for my starts! I'm not able to leave only 1/4 tail yet but I'm sure a shorter tail will come with practice. Thank you SO much for sharing this with us. Now, regarding snowflakes, etc......I need a new revolutionary way to end my thread!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher