Friday, December 30, 2016

Thoughts on a New Year....

 ~ Greetings and Warm Welcome ~ 

The New Year is upon us...
so I thought I'd reflect on my 2016 and share with you my stitching "was" and my stitching "hopes".



First off let's take a look at my 2016 Christmas Cookies...
Katie and I made these on Dec. 23, just in time for the big party we had here over the weekend :)

Candy Canes Frosty Packages Red Truck Santa and Mrs. Claus

We made 143 cookies. Shared them with friends and neighbors and we are still eating them. AND a week later they are still good. Lots of work, these take, but they are delicious.
If you are interested in learning how to do these cookies as well as the recipes I use, etc. etc. Please see Sweet Sugar Belle blog. I use her Royal Icing Recipe and I use her basic sugar cookie recipe. PLUS she taught me everything I know. I read and read and read a lot of cookie blogs, but Sugar Belle spells it all out and I like it being all spelled out. Sharing is caring, and she shares it and lays it all out for you to learn. She has the same  philosophy as I do when it comes to learning and I appreciate her! Thank you Callye!

Please note... learning to do these cookies is just as expensive as a serious hobby in cross stitching! I have cookie stash that rivals my cross stitch stash. You begin the whole "I'm gonna learn to make iced cookies" thinking oh cookie cutters are cheap...Well HA HA HA on you! I have a tub (literally a large sterlite container) filled with cutters. And another filled with my cookie roller, tips, bags, bottles, my gel colorings (think DMC in small tubes of 100 different colors to achieve "just the right shade")....cookie cooling racks... 15 really large (like in professional kitchens) cookie sheets. To do cookies like these it takes lots and lots and lots of ...stuff. But...I've made a couple of batches over the last two years for friends of mine...which lead to friends of my friends that got my name... which means a couple more batches for profit. Anyway between those batches for profit and my catering the boys' Eagle Scout reception and Katie's graduation reception...I figure I have paid for my cookie stash :)

In the week intervening between Christmas and New Years....
I always try to stitch at least one ornament to commemorate our Christmas to hang on our tree the following year. I picked out and stitched:

"Heart Pin Cushion" 
from Mary Garry's Sewing Cabin
found in the 2000 Just Cross Stitch Ornament Magazine

Mary Garry's Heart Pincushion

It is stiched on 36 ct. Vintage Country Mocha 
Using Gentle Arts Piney Woods and Mulberry threads

Yep, I pretty much love it...
AND this is my first OFFICIAL ornament for my Antique/Sampler themed Christmas Tree that I hope to have ornaments enough to fill a small tree next year. 

Which leads me to my goals for 2017...
this is going to be the first year in memory that I will not start something new on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. Nope...I'm going to work on a WIP. I'm going to try to work on a WIP for 2017 in general. Oh there will be plenty of starts, as I just got done kitting a huge Mirabilia - you'll hear more on that later on in the new  year. But to be honest...I'm happy with just being me and stitching what I have going on right now. 

2016...
wasn't a prolific stitching year. There was lots of struggles in 2016 for me personally, but I look at all struggles in life as being forged in steel. Every day no matter if it is filled with all positives, or all negatives is a day of blessings if you just look a little below the surface. I have tried to think of life in that way this year particularly. Counting my blessings instead of automatically turning to negativity. Negativity is easier, looking for hidden blessings much harder, but once you practice looking for blessings you notice that your day is filled with them. I'm going to keep on looking for blessings in 2017. 

2017 Prayer journal...
my new journal is purchased and I have transferred names and intentions that I know still need prayer from my 2016 journal into my 2017 journal. This is my 3rd year offering my prayers up and asking for people with prayer needs to contact me. If you have specific requests for prayer, please privately e-mail me (located under the mailbox in the sidebar). I keep everything private. The only eyes that see that journal is mine. No request for prayer is taken lightly, no request for prayer or intentions mentioned is too small or too large for God. I will pray most devotedly for all intentions. Doing this prayer journal has been a very positive thing for me in my faith walk. So as I pray for you, you are really helping me, a poor sinner, be a better person. Thank you!

So...
I believe that is enough for now. May your New Year's Celebrations be safe, festive, fun and filled with every thing good. May you shine in 2017! 

Now...
let's stitch ALL the things! Until next time...

Hugs in stitches, 
Vonna xxxx

30 comments:

  1. what an inspiring post. Really gave me some things to think about. Your cookies are exqisite and look not just beautiful, but delicious as well. I really enjoy this week between Christmas and New Year's every year as it seems to be a good time to take stock, reflect and move forward. Thank you for all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonna, another thought provoking and inspiring post. First, your cookies look positively divine. I would have a hard time eat one; they are gorgeous. What a lovely ornament you created and a wonderful first for your upcoming sampler tree! Wishing you and your a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vonna, thank you for your positivity! I'm glad we've met (if only virtually), you are a blessing. Wishing your family a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Robin. I love it when a post makes me think. I like your idea of a prayer journal. I need to be more focused. The cookies are just beautiful. I think I will keep my investments in cross stitch. It's only the DH and me and I need to loose a bit of me so no cookies here. Thanks for that info just in case I get tempted to try a new hobby. Several years ago I stitched, "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be thankful in it." My only goal for the new year is to live as that verse suggests. Happy New Year Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and your family a wonderful and blessed new year.
    I didn't see any posts for Dec 23rd and 24th. Do I need to do something else to see them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A positive attitude does wonders. Happy New Year and many blessings to you and yours for 2017

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Vonna: I love your cookies, I made my first Christmas decorated cookies, I love making them, I plan on making decorated cookies for Easter.
    Love your Heart Pin Cusion, so pretty.
    I pray three times a day and always include who needs the prayers for healing or what ever their need is.
    I am so happy there is someone else that does the same thing, praying for others.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post. Your cookies look so professional. I love your new ornament finish. Beautiful!! Good luck with your 2017 stitching! I hope you continue to blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your ornament for this year, Vonna. I have that one because a sweet friend in VA stitched it for me. Your cookies are amazing and it is so true about the cost of a hobby! Whew! Happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookies are amazing! Too pretty to eat, that's for sure. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Vonna and wishing you many blessings in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year Vonna.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year Vonna !!
    Your cookies look amazing, love the details.
    I love the ornament; very pretty for your new tree. I look forward to seeing your stitching for the new year.
    Blessing to you and your family for 2017. Lets make it a great year !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's to stitching ALL of the things! Wishing you and yours a happy and blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful cookies. It seems such a shame to eat them as they look a work of art in themselves.
    A lovely ornament too. I managed to find a copy of JCS 2000 edition a few years ago specifically for that ornament. Needless to say it's still waiting to be stitched.
    Looking forward to seeing what you are going to be stitching in 2017.
    Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, such darling cookies! I had no idea that cookie making was such an expensive hobby, but yours look just lovely, Vonna!

    And what a pretty ornament--I seem to have overlooked that one...

    I'm sure your 2017 will be a wonderful year--may you and your family be blessed with good health, much happiness, and pure contentment in the simple things! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started my morning feeling how hum but you have brightened my day. Thank you. Hoping you and your family have a lovely New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cookies are great, know they are enjoyed. Love the ornament for your next tree.
    Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What pretty, pretty cookies Vonna. God bless you all in this coming new year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year dear Vonna! You are an artist and the daughters follow your steps!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year Vonna to you and your family. I hope 2017 is a better year for you than 2016 was. Sometimes it's good to spend a year just finishing some of the things we already have. It opens the way for lots of exciting new things in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful cookies and encouraging thoughts on how to face life in general! Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your cookies and your new ornament. Your posts are the best part of the my day. I always look for yours first. Thank you for all the inspiration and reminders of faith and prayer in life. Happy New year and so looking forward to sharing another year with you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for such an inspiring post! You have given me a great deal to think about for 2017. I look forward to seeing your WIP projects and new projects as well. Happy stitching and have a blessed new year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a meaningful post! I love your honesty and your outlook on looking for blessings. I think I am going to use that phrase in 2017 because it is so true! Your praying for others really touches my heart. Prayer is a gift we can give others and also receive when we need others to pray for us. I hope that 2017 is rich in love and blessings for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job on your cookies. Your new ornament is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What great cookies! Too pretty to eat! Blessings to you Vonna - I learn so much when you share your faith with us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Vonna I love that ornament! You are so generous with your prayers-perhaps you are a hidden Carmelite?😀

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love that ornament... it is simple but... to the point! And your cookies were masterpieces! I figured it was an expensive hobby! Your offer to pray for anyone is so very thoughtful! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher