Friday, December 09, 2016

Day 9...

~ Greetings and Warm Welcome to ~

Day 9...
This summer I stitched these ornaments and recently took the time to finish them up.


LK Tidy Tidings front

LK Tiny Tidings back

Lizzie Kate
"Tiny Tidings XX"
leaflet 172




On the Day 5 of my grand adventure....
we drove from Durango, CO to Flagstaff, AZ making a lengthy stop at the Petrified Forest and Painted Dessert National Park.

It was amazing to see these logs (or pieces of logs) that had gorgeous vibrant colors. The colors that the logs became depended on the minerals that the once alive tree was buried in. This piece of log, turned to stone, was gorgeous. Almost looks like plastic, doesn't it?

Untitled


Huge ancient trees, were once ripped from the ground and its anchoring root system in a large flood and floated for miles until hung up in a big log jam. Only to sink and be covered in silt and after millions of years petrified. Some of these trees were HUGE around like this one with just the top 1/4 appearing out of the ground today.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


Large vast fields strewn with petrified logs....
sadly most of these "pieces" were one entire large trees, but before the National Park was established and the logs protected...people came to see the petrified logs and of course took them as souvenirs. 

Untitled


Untitled



In the Painted Dessert there was a couple of fields of stone that contained petroglyphs of the ancient Pueblo people that once inhabited the painted desert. This one with the foot....I wonder what the Native American who made it was trying to say. Whatever it was, I can say this: there has been times that I would have loved to use this particular petroglyph to explain to some people how I felt about them. LOL! ha ha ha :)

Untitled

See the little people and arrows drawn on this stone?
Untitled

See the big bird and the wiggly thing hanging out of its beak....its actually a person drawn hanging out of the beak. My goodness, I'd hate to encounter a bird that large! 
Untitled

On the rock side, you can see some stylized geometrical designs.
Untitled

The painted dessert...miles and miles as far as the eye can see. 
Untitled

Another beautiful National Park to mark off my list. This was not going to be a place that we were going to stop, but I mentioned it a couple of times to my father and he worked it in. I was glad he did.

Until tomorrow....

22 comments:

  1. These ornaments are so lovely, I love the dotted fabric they are stitched on.
    Awesome pictures of your adventures in the National Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loved Flagstaff when he was in US in the nineties of last century. May be he saw some of that piece of desert, so magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying your journey....thank you for sharing these lovely pctures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your finished ornaments! I tried my hand at stitching on that same fabric for the first time... came out nice. Sending to my sister... Thanks for sharing the Painted Desert shots. A beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying your 25 Days of Christmas Vonna! Thank you for taking the time to post every day and showing us your vacation pictures. I especially enjoyed today as I grew up in near Flagstaff and explored Northern Arizona extensively. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing adventure! I am going to put that on my "would love to see someday" list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ornament finishes are lovely. I've visited the Petrified Forest and thought it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your finished ornaments are adorable, Vonna. How did you like stitching on the dotted fabric? Any tips? Your photos from your grand adventure are stunning. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really enjoying your photos from your trip, Vonna! Have seen some of the sights you picture, but not all :)

    Love the LK finishes! I have some of that blue spotted fabric--will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful ornaments. That landscape is stunning and very educational.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your pictures! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You couldn't have picked a better fabric for your snowman! That is so cute!

    Arizona is all the better for you having visited us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet ornaments! I'm so enjoying the pictures of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the ornaments on the spotted fabric. Enjoying your pictures, have never been to the desert, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great adventure you had. enjoying the pictures and the stories that go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. incredible photos from your trip - thanks for letting us take a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your ornaments and the finishes. So pretty. Thank you for sharing the photos from your trip. I have never visited these places so it is especially good to get to see them through your pics. Happy stitching...............

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely ornaments!I so enjoyed the trip photos today. We visited that area a few years ago and it brought back lots of good memories. I found the petroglyphs so interesting! I even have a book on the subject. They really got my attention. Like you, so many questions about what the people were thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is amazing! Great photos and glad you were able to fit it in. Also nice finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice ornaments. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your ornaments. Again finished perfectly of course. Great pictures of the park. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great finishes - love the backing fabric and the little bells.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher