Thursday, December 08, 2016

Day 8....

~ Greetings and Warm Welcome to ~ 

Day 8....
Today is the feast day of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary on the Catholic calendar.
She, who we believe, was conceived in the womb of her mother, St. Anne, free from original sin so that through her merits she was worthy of "theotokos" or "Mother of God" ~ a pure vessel.

One of my favorite Holy Days of the entire year. I remember 19 years ago going to the Holy Day mass and being very pregnant. Little did I know, at that time, that just a few short hours (less than 72) my water would break and Katie would be on her way.

Let me share with you...
a little story about our Blessed Lady. When I was in college, I went to talk to an elderly priest. Struggling with a problem I can't remember much about now, I just remember that I was so upset and made an appointment with him for confession and counsel. Before leaving the meeting, the old priest took my hand and looked into my eyes and said, "When you lay your head down on your pillow each night, ask the Blessed Virgin to hold your worries in her hands and take them from you so that you may sleep soundly. You will find that through her intercession many of the problems that she held for you at night, while you slept, her Son has worked out for you by morning."
I can say with firm clarity, that when I practice this act and hand my worries to the Blessed Virgin after my bedtime prayers at night....her Son HAS worked out many of my burdens through the night, or at the very least I have an idea of what I need to do to make my burdens light upon my waking.

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Today...
I have to share with you a gadget that I purchased this summer.
It is a  lap stand that is lovingly handmade by a gentleman in his workshop.
I bought the first one I owned from a nice lady that was selling hers.

You see...
This summer I began using scroll rods. Who would have thunk? (and there will be a separate post about scroll rods later on in the 25 Days). My Needlework System 4 Floor Stand and Lap Stand is only equipped with the Q-Snap head. (yes I could still wedge the scroll rod ends in the Q-snap head and it WOULD hold) but I like to work with my work close to me - my preference is wide and short so that my reach is close - the Q-snap head only opens to 17 inches wide and most of my scroll rods are 18 inches plus. Working wider and shorter is a personal preference that speaks to some musculature problems I've had with my wrists, elbows and shoulders. I don't work on huge square Q-Snaps, the largest I use is maybe 12 x 12 square, other than that, I take all my Q-Snaps apart and reassemble them into wide/short height rectangles. Anyway...I tried to make my Needlework System 4 stand work with my scroll rods (and yes I know I could buy a Scroll Rod head or a Stretcher Bar head that would possibly work with scroll rods but the cost of those head attachments were more than what I could buy this lap stand out to try). Well I just wasn't happy. So this used lap stand came up for sale in a FaceBook group I belong to, and I jumped at the chance. It came and I instantly fell in love with it. So much so that this fall I decided I wanted one for downstairs stitching. I stitch in the evening upstairs, during the day while I'm working, I stitch when I get a chance downstairs. So, I bought another. 

What I love about this lap stand....

  1. It is light weight. As I discussed in my Needlework System 4 review last year, the Lap Stand is a bit heavy and a bit unwieldy for a body's lap. It's a great tabletop stand and I would highly recommend it for that, but a lap stand ~ not so much. 
  2. It's pretty. The wood grain and attention to detail in the lap stand is gorgeous. It can sit out in my living room and it looks pretty. 
  3. It is universal....I can use stretcher bars, Q-Snaps and scroll rods on this lap stand. I love that!
  4. I can stitch using a foot stool! I used a foot stool with the NWS 4 but I'd have to take 5 minutes adjusting the stand, adjusting the foot stool and getting down to work. With this stand, it lives on the foot stool, I sit down, pick up the stand, place it on my lap and put my feet up.
  5. This lap stand fits on my lap. The NWS 4 base is so large and it is metal that it never truly fit.
  6. The lap stand is fully adjustable from 10 inches width to 24 inches wide. I've used a 28 inch wide scroll rod on it (for my Prairie Schooler "quilt" piece) and it works like a charm. 


Here are some pictures of my NEW lap stand that just came in the mail....
my used one that I bought looks exactly the same. 
*please excuse the mess on my dining room table ~ we bought household items for our local pregnancy crisis center/home to donate and I haven't ran it over there yet. 

8 inch width
Untitled

24 inch width
Untitled


Fully Adjustable to suit your stitching needs...
2 different arm lengths (it comes with two sets of arms one short and one longer) and both sets of arms have three drilled holes to adjust how much arm you want hanging down from the center screw.
Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


If you would be interested in getting a beautiful lap stand like mine please contact: 
Bonnie Hope for pricing information at:
 bbagley41@bellsouth.net

You will be well pleased with this beautiful hand-crafted stand!


Until tomorrow...

20 comments:

  1. Your stand is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the story of Blessed Lady.....would love to see a picture of scroll rods or q-snaps being used with the frame looks like it works perfectly ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your story about worries. It's something we shall all think about doing. The lap stand looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the counsel given by the priest. I am going to remember that when I cannot sleep due to fretting. I like your explanation of your scroll rod method. I have seen many stitchers using them but for me I love my q snaps and I have to have my work closer to my eyes.lol....At 61 I have to use a magnifier to stitch on linen. But I never thought about joint and muscle issues making q snaps uncomfortable. Makes sense to use the scroll rods!! And no moving the q snaps which is aggravating. I always learn something new from you Vonna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ,Vonna for sharing your story and the stand. I have shoulder problems, too, and I haven't been able to find a stand that works for me. I may have to start saving for one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vonna, thank you for sharing your story with us. Your stand looks great. I know you will get much use from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wondering if you're still using stretcher bars for smalls and if so, do you use a stand for those? I work mostly on bars and sometimes on scroll rods. I've been wondering about which kind of stand might work for both.

    Also, if that is a 'mess' then I'm the Queen of England LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love your 25 Days of Christmas!! Your stories are so refreshing and real. Your new stand is awesome, you will really be whipping out the stitches, lol! Your stitching is always beautiful and you are so inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures of your cross country trip and the Arches in Utah are stunning! Thank you so much for sharing them as well as these handy tips about lapstands! Happy December Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just started researching stands and this looks exactly what I might need! I, too, would like to see a Q snap on it. Thanks for all you do...you are so appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my Judy Odell floor stand and it works for my Millenium Frame but I can see how the lap stand would be very nice to use especially for my smaller projects that I want to work with a frame. I may have to check it out. Thank you for the information. Merry Christmas and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The stand is beautiful but I admit to being a touch dumb about how that lap stand works (I do all my stitching in hand, but sometimes my holding hand gets cramped - one of the benefits of growing older). You wouldn't want to pose with it in place, would you?

    Enjoying your daily posts so much - thanks for the effort you put into them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your story of faith with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How do the Q-snaps fit on? I stitch in hand using Q-snaps but always interested in other ways to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! I always wonder about lap stands, and glad you found one you're happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love reading your post and using your tutorials... many blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing the details of your new lap stand...I have been thinking about getting one since reading your post last year...this year may be the year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hubby just ordered one of these for me for Valentines Day! Thank you for showing this on your floss tube. I would never have known about it. I am doing a large Noah's ark for my expected grand baby and sure can use it. I mentioned that I had heard of it from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher