Monday, December 05, 2016

Day (4 &) 5....

~ Greetings and Warm Welcome to ~

Day 4....
was my twin sons' birthday, so forgive me for not posting. We were busy attending Mass, celebrating and just having general family time before they went off to go to work gathering carts and bagging groceries at Kroger. Then I spent a cozy afternoon with my husband watching documentaries (we are nuts for documentaries) and stitching. It was Sunday, thus a family day.

Day 5...
On my trip I took a project envelope filled with 10 Prairie Schooler Annual Santas that I have not stitched yet. I finished this one while on my vacation.

Prairie Schooler Annual Santa 2014
stitched on Davos 18 ct. 
2 strands over 1 thread
2014 PS Santa

Davos....
is the called for fabric of many of the Santas. I tell that to people and they are like.... whaaat?! 
Essentially it is 36 ct. since it is just stitching over 1 thread. You can tell from the photo above that the holes are very visible. It is an evenweave not an aida. I like working on it. and I think the santas look spectacular on it.

My trip....
I'm going to spread this out a little to share among posts. Keith and Ellie drove me down to Haubstadt, Indiana on Sunday, November the 6th at 5 a.m. From there I got in the car with my father and stepmom and off we went on our trip. We headed first to St. Louis, MO - Gateway to the west. We traveled all day and stopped for the night at Salina, KS. I had never been further west than Branson, MO, so Kansas was a whole new world for me. I was amazed at the gently rolling prairie and the golden grasses blowing in the wind.  The next day (Monday, November 7) we drove to Golden, CO which was just outside of Denver. In the morning (Tuesday, Nov 8) we got up and began to make our way to Arches National Park in Moab, UT. Before we got to Arches though we stopped in Colorado for breakfast and ate at Mountain Lyon Cafe in Silverthorn, Colorado 
Oh my word...the food was so delicious. It was a sort of smallish, homey diner that I saw and said something to my father about eating there and he pulled in and I was glad he did. Delicious, wonderful food!

We made it Arches National Park (11/8/16) and I will share some of the beautiful photos I took while there. It was a stunning, awe inspiring experience. You go there...and it is just...well let's just say, I thought about God.... a lot. I'll never forget it.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


Untitled

Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


In this canyon...the wind whips through these stone walls and all that sand is from the rocks being broken down. It was nearly up to your calves and you walked in there. I was wearing Birkenstocks and took them off to walk through the sand (because I was rubbing my feet raw with the sand and the straps of the sandals). That sand was freezing cold! My little tootsies were almost blue by the time I got back outside the canyon and just dirt. Definitely could tell this place was a desert environment because at night it gets cold and the sand was a good insulator of keeping the cold in!

Untitled

So there you go....
the first three days of my "grand" adventure.

Tomorrow I'll be back and in the meantime...
smile, keep that little light of yours shining!
Share a Coke with the world too :) 
I love Coke and I saw that "I'd like to give the world a Coke..." commercial today. If it would just be that easy....perfect harmony in the simple act of sharing a Coke. I'm pretty happy when I drink a Coke....

Until tomorrow...

27 comments:

  1. Who could tell that in the desert and during day you would be with your feet col? Nature has a way of leaving us in awe! Beatiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Santa finish !!
    Gorgeous pictures from your trip. It was a once in a lifetime experience.
    Merry Monday.....have a wonderful day !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures of your trip. Happy Birthday to your twins.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely photos what a wonderful time to be visiting the parks when they are celebrating there big anniversary a trip you will always treasure❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing about the 'little things' from your trip! I have gone across country by car once in my lifetime, but it was ages ago... and we saw things off the road, but really didn't stop except to eat and sleep. I regret that now, but when you are young, you have the need for speed! Thank you for sharing with us--love the pictures! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your sons...I saw your posts on Instagram and they look like such fine young men. ( I am married to an Eagle Scout so I know that is a REAL accomplishment and says much about their character.) I am working on the Prairie Schooler February and Daffodils( March). I have a few Lizzie Kate snippets I am working on for Valentines Day. Love all your pictures from your trip. The west is a very interesting part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Boys!
    Love your Santa Vonna!
    Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your vacation photos were spectacular. I enjoyed them over on FB too.

    Davos works great with the rustic look of the Prairie Santas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome photos! Were you able to stop in Abilene KS on your way to Salina to visit Picture This Plus? My oldest son and his wife live in Manhattan KS, so we're (fairly) frequent visitors to Salina and Abilene. Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, happy belated birthday wishes to your boys! Oh Vonna, what incredible pictures from your trip. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself on the first leg of your adventure. Thank you for talking a bit about Davos. Your Santa looks super.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vonna,
    I have just caught up with the first of your "25 Days" - and I love love love your stories. I am so happy, that your are back with your 25 Days with the Twisted Stitcher and I really hope I make it every day from today on, to read!
    Happy belated Birthday to your boys - and congrats to the finishing of another annual Santa.

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures of your adventure. I have never been out west and it is wonderful to experience this through you blog. I am a Coke Lover too. And I am with you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos.

    25 days of Christmas and photos of your trip. How exciting. December is going to be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can keep the coke but I love the pictures of your outing. I would love to visit and just sit and watch the world pass by, doing er, not a lot. Just me and the wilderness though it sounds like I will need to take my thick wooly socks with me xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I am lovin' this travel/stitchy blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to your boys! Your trip sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So love your "share a coke" - love my Cherry Coke! So fun following your trip. I live in the southern portion of Kansas. I don't know if you know it or not but PTP is in Abilene, KS which is on the north area of Kansas west of Kansas City. Not sure how far it would have been from Salina but I don't think too far. Too bad you didn't get to stop in there to salivate over her beautiful fabrics. Love to go there. Happy stitdhing.........................

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know you made the boys birthdays special. I used Davos on all my santas too. I love that it's so easy to stitch on. Your trip was amazing. I've been out west but not to the places you stopped. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures of your trip. I have never understood how people can see the beauty in our world and question the existence of a magnificent God.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gonna
    Glad to hear you took Sunday to be with family. So nice to be at home especially this time of year. Love the pictures of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy birthday to your sons, and great pictures of Arches - we are taking a National Park trip next summer and Arches is on our list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your trip photos. I've never been to that part of the US, but hope to get there one day. Happy Birthday to your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks so peaceful in the desert, the beautiful rock formations. I know you enjoyed your adventure but I bet it feels really good to be back home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful Santa. I agree he looks great on that fabric. I just love your travel pics. What beauty! Oh how I wish the world could be healed with just a coke.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful adventure you went on, memories to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy belated birthday to your boys. My how grown all of your children are now. Nice stitching on yiur Santa. Wow, amazing pics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing photos - God's grace is so apparent in our natural world!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher