Monday, December 12, 2016

Day 12.....

~ Greetings and Warm Welcome to ~

Day 12...
Well today I have to share with you, these pretty ornaments that I had stitched up and languishing in a drawer to be finished. They are:

Plum Street Sampler's
"12 Days of Christmas" 
These sweet designs are free designs that was featured on Paulette's blog last Christmas season
they can be found HERE

PSS - 12 Days

These four ornaments and the Lizzie Kate ornaments shown on Day 9 HERE
and Heart in Hand Ornament shown on Day 10 HERE
were all finished last Wednesday (on Day 7) in my finishing cave and packaged up on Day 8 and taken to my Local Needlework Shop - Fancy Works.
I have donated them to the victims of the Gatlingburg, TN fire.

When I was flying home from California, we flew close to TN, not over Gatlingburg -  but even though we were not close, we flew through smoke. The pilot came on and said that this was the smoke from that fire. I had seen it on the news before I left, but knowing how far we were from it and that I was seeing in the upper atmosphere the result of it...just hurt my heart. Think about all the people that have lost everything. All their memories, their homes, their things that are needed for living. 
Everything gone.

This season is a season for sharing.
I try very hard to give back to the world 365 days a year, every day. I truly do try. I fail sometimes and don't put "out there" what I should. I get short tempered, angry, feel sorry for myself...I'm human. However, I can honestly say in my heart, every day, I ask God upon rising to put my angel on my shoulder and whisper in my ear (or hit me over the head) to help me to be positive, count my blessings and be a blessing to others. 
Life is short. 
Life can throw us curve balls. 
I believe, with my whole heart, that we are to find Joy in our Journey. 
That's what I strive to do.
By donating these handmade ornaments to the victims of the Gatlinburg fire, it is my hope that my offerings, made by my humble hands, brings a little joy to those suffering great loss. May it be so. I can tell you, gifting them away makes my heart feel so good! Always when I give freely with a pure and simple joy, I feel better than ever. A servant's heart - like Martha...who worried and fretted and wanted everything perfect and everyone happy. Jesus too had to remind her in Luke 10: 38-42

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f]Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
One of the ladies that is my good friend at our church quoted this to me this summer whenI was running around like a chicken with my head cut off at funeral luncheons this summer. I came home and read the entire passage and thought. She knows me better than I know myself! Life lessons...

Anyway...
for those of you who may be interested, I know that my Needlework Shop is sending the ornaments to Dixie Darling. I am certain that if you would like to donate to the ornament drive, that you can still do so. Just call them or contact them via e-mail or even just go ahead and mail them to the Dixie Darling with a note contained inside the box. Bring a little joy to those hit hard during this most blessed season!

Until tomorrow...

14 comments:

  1. Vonna you are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how God puts just the right person with the right message in our paths? Love the ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this with us today. What an inspiring post and passage to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique way of helping out - you truly used your God-given skills to help others. I just love when that happens! I struggle with being a Martha - my goal is to be a Mary. Baby steps!!

    ReplyDelete

  5. Always enjoy reading your blog. You have a way of making all of us feel so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EVERY year when I hear the Martha/Mary story in church I am convicted all over again. I am SUCH a Martha. It is so bad my family turns and looks at me, IN CHURCH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you were able to donate. What a beautiful thing to do. I hope they will be cherished as they deserve to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You donated a lovely selection of ornaments. What a beautiful way to remind us about the lesson of sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your generous contribution. My family is from Sevier Co and the fire which burned in the mountains is just heartbreaking for so many people. This year instead of giving each other a Christmas gift, my husband and I are donating our Christmas gift to the people of Sevier Co (Gatlinburg)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too, felt so bad for those people. Almost every summer we have destructive fires here in Washington. It just breaks your heart. You truly have a wonderful attitude about life. My DH and I have certain things we give to regularly. I think it is our responsibility to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vonna how wonderful your contribution is! Being in Knoxville-just minutes from the Smoky Mountains-I grew up going to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge as did my own four children. Yes it has been heart breaking to see so many places we treasured, peoples homes and the beautiful mountains destroyed as well as lives lost. But the outpouring of love and concern from people just like you all across the country has made it a heart-warming, love filled time for all Tennesseans. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving jumping on blogger and seeing your inspirational pieces each day. Thank you so much for taking the time to spread some joy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was a child, we use to spend part of our summer vacations in Gatlinburg. I cannot even imagine what it looks like today. I'm sure those ornaments will brighten someone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful idea to warm the hearts of those who lost everything with these absolutely gorgeous ornaments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher