Monday, January 04, 2016

2016, starting off with a bang!

~ Greetings and Warm Welcome ~
to all my friends and stitching buddies

2016 started off with...
three consecutive days working at the hospital.
But good news is...after trying to work a whole lot more over the past year, we as a family have decided:
that it ain't worth Mama working a bunch of extra outside the home!
I don't have to go back to work now for 11 days!
WAHOO!
That's enough of a good thing to put a spring in your step!

When we were visiting our hometown over the holidays...
my mother in law took me to a little Antique Mall.

I found this wooden dough bowl...
for $35!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's really pretty large (about 26 inches from handle to handle)
That's a steal!
(considering I have a reproduction that I paid $45 for)

dough bowl

And won't it look fabulous when I get all these  (that I've collected over the last year) stitched up?!
(I have all the Serial Bowls but obviously I shoved them somewhere besides my "gotta stitch it basket" and couldn't find #2 and #3...) 
Dough bowl filled


HEY readers...
we've got another "Ask Vonna" request...
Donna TN, writes: 

"Hi Vonna. I'm one of those folks who rarely comments, but I love reading about your family and your stitching. I have some fabric that has some nasty creases right through the middle, probably got too squished in the fabric box. I have tried steaming the bejebers out of them with some dampening of the cloth and the spray thing on the iron. It helped, but the crease is not entirely gone. I'm afraid to start my project on a piece of fabric that might have a permanent crease. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for all the fun and insightful info you pass along and for any help you can give me." 


Guess what?! I know a lot about this :)

Here is what I would suggest doing:

Getting Stubborn Creases Out of Stitching Fabrics

Now firstly I would do this on fabric that has NOT been stitched on.

First I would try: putting the dry linen/aida on the ironing board, flat. Taking a piece of cotton muslin or old bed sheet (I save all of my old bed sheets and cut them up for pressing cloths)...I would completely wet and lightly wring out the cloth that you are using as a pressing cloth. Then I would lay it over the linen/aida wet and press using the cotton/linen setting of your iron. This typically takes most creases out in a jiffy! 

If that doesn't work, second I would .. .  fill a spritz bottle of 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar. Vinegar sets colors so I don't think you have to worry about hand-dyed fabrics ~ but you might want to check a corner first if your fabric is hand-dyed. Spritz, rather liberally, with the mixture and press on the same cotton/linen setting of your iron. Doesn't smell real good at first, but works great!

If that doesn't work...Then its time for the big guns...spray liberally your entire piece of fabric with plain water (or dunk the whole think and lightly roll in a towel to get the excess water out). Lay the fabric as flat as you can get (no folding!) in the freezer. Let it freeze stiff, then pull it out and start ironing. The frozen water, when turned immediately to steam by ironing will push the most stubborn creases out! It works every time! 
*I've even done this on linen that has been stitched on...(but didn't dunk it in the water, just spritzed) and it worked for me...

EDITED to *note* readers comments on this subject: 
Annie says, "I'm a big fan of your final technique, but I roll up the fabric into a cylinder when I put it in the freezer. I call it the 'cross stitch popsicle' method!"

Pam, The Queen Bee says, "We quilters also use a product called 'Best Press'. It relaxes fabric and gets creases out. It's a spray purchased at quilt shops."


Thank you for your question DonnaTN, its always good to think about, learn new things and get people talking!

Folks...
that does it for this edition :)

Until next time...
I'm gonna be doing my laundry...
and stitching in between...
probably some finishing because my break is over...
I've got three models to stitch and finish...

and you know I'll be...
keeping my hands to work..
my heart to God..
while treating my neighbor with kindness and respect, 
and trying to be the best me I can be.
It's hard, isn't it?
I may stumble and I may fall, but I pick myself up and I remember:
To thine own self be true...
because...
I want to BE the change I want to SEE.
Join me!

Love in stitches...
Vonna xxxx

30 comments:

  1. Wow a whole 11 days off from outside work. Very nice way to start the new year. Great deal on the bowl! I have been thinking of getting a reproduction since I never seem to be able to find them in the local antique shops. Thanks for the advice on getting the creases out of the fabric. I have been know to use spray starch on the really stubborn creases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We quilters also use a product called 'Best Press'. It relaxes fabric and gets creases out. It's a spray purchased at quilt shops.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news about work! I know you will enjoy being home more! Love the bowl and it will look great when filled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Vonna! I have just enjoyed 14 days off work, and it was great for getting some projects finished - home projects and crafty projects - as well as spending time with my kids....your 11 days will surely go quickly, but I hope you enjoy each one of them! Love that dough bowl - can't wait to see you fill it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wooden dough bowl looks gerat, and particularly great holding all these wonderful patterns :) I have been looking for such a bowl for quite a while but no such luck. Maybe one day I will see one ...
    11 days off work sounds terrific and I'm sure you just feel like new born, lol. Enjoy these days doing whatever you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for helping tips to take out the creases..I will try that too
    Love your bowl and all the sweet patterns in it
    Happy day z

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will remember your how to in the future. I love your tips and ideas....keep them coming! Enjoy your days off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of your final technique, but I roll up the fabric into a cylinder when I put it in the freezer. I call it the 'cross stitch popsicle' method!

    Just finished my 2 weeks off. It was a nice break and I hope yours is as good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great looking bowl! yay! I am so happy you will be home more. You won't regret it. Before we know it, our kids will be done with college and leave us!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the post as this is good info to know! I've had this problem before as well. What a find that bowl was and will look great with all of your stitched pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tips on getting creases out of fabrics! What a great dough bowl addition; I look forward to seeing your bowl fillers down the road. Have a great Monday, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your tips, Vonna! And good for you for cutting back on work. These years with your kids will fly by and I'm glad you'll have more family time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your tips Vonna. Your bowl was a great find. Enjoy your mini break!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy for you that you can be at home more now. No matter how old kids get, they still like to have someone at home when they get there. I love the wooden bowl; your projects will look terrific in it! Happy stitching and finishing......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great find! And thanks for the tips about stubborn fabric creases. That will definitely help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing--excellent tip--will remember about the freezer and have some Best Press in my stash. Love your new bowl--it was made for smalls

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful find on the dough bowl! I haven't been as lucky, but I will keep trying:)Good for your family having you home more. I too, will keep my hands to work and heart to God, joining you in "I want to be the change I want to see"<3

    ReplyDelete
  18. That bowl was a real deal!!! I do love the ask Vonna part of your blog. What a wise decision your family made. My kids are grown and away. I don't regret one minute that I was able to spend with them as they grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear your work situation is better. Thank you for the fabric tip - and... can't wait to see you next update!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the tips! I've had good luck with Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I use it if the water methods don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great deal on the dough bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the tips! I tried the 1st one tonight and it helped, but I'm still seeing those creased spots. Tomorrow I'll probably try the frozen method and see if the fabric will...let it go,let it go..of the creases. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The fabrics tips are awesome! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy New Year Vonna. Great news about working less outside the home. Your husband and kids will love you being home more keeping everything running smooth. And maybe a little more stitching time for you :)
    What a beautiful bowl.
    Thanks for sharing the question and answer section......we will learn lots of new information.
    Blessings for the new year !!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the bowl. Perfect for all of those lovely charts.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Boy do I want to go antiquing!! That new bowl will look so perfect with all the PSS smalls in it! Glad you are cutting back on the outside work... and can spend more time with family and stitching/finishing! I roll my fabric before putting in the freezer too. Works well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the info on creases. Never knew about the freezer one. Love that bowl. Enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for all the tips. I've used the freezer method before and it does really work. Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the bowl and look forward to your posts where it's getting full! I've bought s small tree to try and put seasonsal things on. My first finish of 2016 is for it. It's an Easter piece. It's gonna look pretty sparse this year. Isn't the hospital gonna miss your expertise????

    ReplyDelete
  30. I purchased my dough bowl at Goodwill for $2, probably made in the late 1800's. I just LOVE the handmadeness of it! (New word). People donate or sell the neatest things without research.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher