Monday, December 07, 2015

Day 7...

25 Days

Day 7....
Whew! I know I've been late the last few days and I've had e-mails asking if I'm OK because my posts haven't been up by midnight of the day I'm on. This Fri/Sat/Sun was my working weekend. I work outside the home on a part-time basis and everything falls apart a little bit on those days. I don't know how many of you know, but I'm a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (used to be called Medial Technologist back in the day). I'm licensed with the American Society of Clinical Pathologists. I went to college and my undergraduate degree is in Biology. I graduated in 1992 from Indiana University. The only job offer I got at the time was a 6 month job in Alaska, where I'd be following (with a group of biologists) the caribou herds and counting them/observing their migration routes, habitat and births/deaths, etc. Sounds pretty great, but that was a big leap of faith for a girl from nowhere. I was more interested in getting a job and getting settled down. I knew from a very young age that my true destiny was motherhood. So I went back to school and became a MT, ASCP. I landed a great job at a very large hospital and then studied to become Specialized in Microbiology. I had an affinity for Microbiology and the leaders in the laboratory I was working in at the time recognized the talent and encouraged me. So when you pee in a cup, get your throat swabbed, have a terrible wound infection, have fluid pulled from a joint or cultures taken during surgery, some person like me is working on them and identifying the presence or absence of pathogenic bacteria in your body. If there are pathogens present, we isolate them and test them against a battery of antibiotics to tell the doctor which one to put you on (or if the one he already put you on, will kill the bacteria that needs killed.) Pretty neat, huh?!
I know its shocking to imagine that I'm actually sort of intelligent ;) Shocks all my friends in real life! A conversation will go something like this:
Person: What do you do?
Me: I'm a microbiologist
Person: WHAAAATTT??? Really?

I think its the hair...I still get honked at by truckers on the highway too.

:)

Ok...didn't mean to get windy. 

First up today is: 

"The Stockings Were Hung"
by 
Country Cottage Needleworks ~ Classic Collection Ornament Series

CCN Stockings Were Hung

I was lucky enough to be the model stitcher and finisher of this series for Nikki at Country Cottage Needleworks. And I felt that each ornament was more darling and cute than the next one. 
12 months of cuties!
 Check them out if you haven't already!
and you'll be seeing more of these coming up these 25 days...


Now for:
Vonna's Gadget and Gizmos


Have you heard about Thread Cutterz ?

Oh my word! What a fabulous little tool to have! It is a ring, and you wear it and don't have to scissors. I love it for cutting my floss while I'm cross stitching ~ of course you can use it for clipping the tails on the back ~ but cutting it off the bobbin or hank is fabulous! No digging around for scissors! 
And while sewing on a machine! FABULOUS!

I follow Thread Cutterz on Instagram and they have had many of their patrons that love the Thread Cutterz ring start "blinging" their ring! So I did mine too!

Here's how I bling-ed my Thread Cutterz:

Thread Cutterz

Last week....
I was finishing. And I had my Thread Cutterz ring on using it. I had to run to the store for an ingredient for supper and....I forgot to take off my Thread Cutterz blinged ring. 
At the check out the lady's eyes got the size of saucers and she said: 
"OMG I LOVE YOUR RING!!" 
I looked down and immediately got red faced. Then she said:
"Is THAT real?!" 
and I started laughing and had to explain what it was and that I had done that with gemstones myself. She then tried it on and tried it out cutting a thread off her smock that was hanging. 

Ha ha! I sold a Thread Cutterz to some random lady in the grocery store, because she asked for the website and I told her to google Thread Cutterz, writing it down on a scrap piece of paper. 

Anyway folks, this is a gem of a little gizmo and you can bling it and make yourself feel all Rock Starish!

So there you go! 

Until tomorrow....
I'll be keeping my hands to work..
my heart to God..
while treating my neighbor with kindness and respect, 
and trying to be the best me I can be.
It's hard, isn't it?
I may stumble and I may fall, but I pick myself up and I remember:
To thine own self be true...
because...
I want to BE the change I want to SEE.
Join me!

Merry Christmas,
Vonna xxxx

33 comments:

  1. Your job sounds interesting Vonna. I bet you have helped a lot of people and they don't even realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my younger days, I think I would have followed my spirit of adventure and followed the caribou herd in Alaska. Always good to know there is someone like you working behind the scenes to help someone like me. Never tried the cutter ring might be a good time because I am forever looking for my scissors

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your job !! As a retired nurse I know how important your work is. And I know your hospital is so lucky to have you on their staff !!

    Oh I laughed about your ring story at the grocery. I've never heard of this ring but I'm sure going to check it out now. Another great tip from you !!

    Your ornament is darling and I too have enjoyed this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vonna, thank you for the giggle this morning about your Thread Cutterz ring and the grocery store. I have seen the pendants, but not the ring before. Great ornament you stitched and finished! Thanks for sharing about your job; you make learning fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is another great tip, Vonna! I'm forever losing track of my needle and my scissors - usually found in the cushion of my chair. This is a great way to solve one of those issues. Love how you "blinged" your ring, and loved the grocery store story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am familiar with the work you do. I used to be a Veterinary Nurse. We had a course in microbiology. In veterinary medicine you have to be a jack or jill of all trades. So much lab work and radiology and surgical assisting. My favorite part was anesthesiololgy. ha! Now look who is windy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you may have just sold another threadcuterz, lol. Microbiology, you go girl! I couldn't even get through the lab I took several years back...hence I'm still not a nurse, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still smiling at the thought of you wearing your bedazzled ring....too funny but a great story thanks for sharing yet another great stitching tool! I'm a retired OR nurse and know the valve of your job so happy to hear someone who has such passion....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I worked in the medical field too. I was a Medical Transcriptionist! I loved my job, so interesting.
    I want one of those threadcuterz..haven't seen one before.
    How cute that you blinged it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a retired MLT (Associate Degree). Always wished I would have gone back to school and got my Bachelor's in Microbiology. Love your nails, we we not allowed to wear them where I worked. I am going to look for that ring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed hearing how you came to your profession. It was so interesting. Of course, the ornament is so cute and the finish is just wonderful. What a funny story about the ring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A woman of many talents Vonna! My sister in law used to do the same job as you but had to stop to care for her disabled son. So I know just how clever you are and how hard you work!
    I love the CCN Classic Ornaments series - still working my way through them but enjoying every one! Your finishes are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so blessed to have people in your profession, which will always be needed. Love the ring, what a great little addition for our hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to check out the ring. I admire those of you who work in medical labs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A new line in jewellery perhaps;) an interesting write up of a gizmo I have never used,thank you.
    What a pretty CCN ornament.I will chech them out.
    As for your job Vonna,someone who did the job you do in a lab, identified a strain of a virus that was making our then eight year old son so poorly he was admitted to hospital,so I thank you for you and others who play their part to help make others better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You set a great example for your children by going to college and qualifying in your chosen career. Many of us want to get married and have children, but I think it's important to have a career too if at all possible. I studied and qualified as an accountant and still use those skills on a part time basis now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the ornament--stitching and finishing!! I am going to check out the Thread Cutterz. That looks like something I would really like using.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "You Light Up My Day" (life).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to check that gadget out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute cross stitch project. You truly are a gifted FINISHER!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Someone as organized as you has to be smart! LOL I knew you were, so it's not a surprise to me. I saw your thread cutter on Instagram and now I'm gonna have to check them out. I hate taking scissors on a plane because I've had them taken from me before. This would take care of that! Thanks
    for the enabling once again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your newest job title is so much more impressive than the old title. Been a long time since any truckers honked at me. Revel in it while you may.

    Love your ornament. That is such a cute design.

    You really are having fun with that cutter. Who woulda thunk it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all your ornaments. Your finishes are very inspiring/enabling lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really love the story about the thread cutter ring!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. From Microbiologist to Ring Designer all in one day - Love it! :o)
    Great idea to bling up the basic thread cutter - now I have to find one for me....
    I don't think I can remember getting honked at... the occasionally wolf whistle but no honk... Enjoy!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oohh, that ring sounds so cool! And I never had any doubt that you were smart :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm a nurse working in a critical care unit at a local hospital. I couldn't make it through my shift without all the hard working people in the laboratory. I've been stitching for more than 30 years and have never heard of that ring! I'm pretty sure I need one! I guess you can teach a (very) old dog new tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am very familiar with your line of work. I used to work for a podiatrist and we sent cultures and specimens to the lab all the time. Great job stitching and finishing the CCN ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your job sounds so interesting and important, Vonna :) Had to laugh at the thread cutter ring story--too funny!! Your finish of the CCN ornament is darling--love that polka dot fabric you used, too...

    ReplyDelete
  30. My daughter is studying biology and I am going to suggest this to here. I love that you know who you are and stay true to yourself. Your genuine self shines through in all you share here.

    Off to add the ring to my wish list. Never heard of it but know I would use it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your job sounds very interesting, Vonna. And it's important, too. But had to laugh about your blonde story, lol.
    I love everything CCN and LHN, and I love your great finishing on them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I knew you worked outside of the home, tho I don't recall knowing the specifics! I do know you are super busy all the time!! Never heard of Thread Cutterz...will check them out. Funny story! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Vonna you crack me up something fierce! You are such an amazing woman - love that truckers honk at you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher