Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Day 15...

25 Days

Day 15....
Today is all about a post from my heart.

I'm sure like many folks....
you could tell me one or more people that had a big impact on your life.
There are people that come in and out of your life through the years, but some leave an indelible mark on your heart. I've been blessed to have been touched by many people and one that made a mark on me for life was my grandmother, Eileen Weber.

My Grandma....
Loved Christmas almost, I think, as much as I do. Maybe that's why I love Christmas so much, because I remember Christmas as a little girl and my Grandma Weber made it magical.

I was lucky to receive some odds and ends from my Grandmother's house....
when she passed away in 2002.

This China cabinet was hers....
she bought it for $200 with her first paycheck that she earned after all of her kids were gone from home and she took a teacher's aide position at one of the local Catholic  elementary schools.
That had to have been around the early 1970's.

Grandma's China Cabinet

I have her chalk ware nativity set. Its a little worse for wear...
St. Joseph has lost his staff and now just looks like he's waiting for a fist pound,
Mary's lost her head a time or two,
Baby Jesus has a nick or two,
but I remember this setting out at my Grandmother's house during Christmas time (in fact I think I was the culprit who lost St. Joseph's staff...)

Grandma's Chalkware Nativity

My Grandma tried painting ceramic ornaments one year. I think I have most of the ones that she painted. Here is Santa coming down the chimney...Keith asked one year why there were green beans hanging on the fireplace...
:)

Down the Chimney

This whirly-gig ornament was always on the tree....
She had these star ones and then ones that looked like birdcages. The heat from the bulbs would make the whirly thing twirl...of course now with LED lights that is a thing of the past....but I still put up my one lonely whirly-gig ornament every year.

Granny and Pap's Ornament

I remember her telling me once that this was grandpa and her on a swing :)

Lover Swing

When my Granny passed away it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2002. She had suffered the last days of her life due to uterine cancer. I was the only one with her and I was holding her hand when she passed. I can't explain what I felt, but it was like a quick little electricity jolt. It scared me at the time, that's how I knew something was up, because I felt something. Looking back on it later, I know that was when my Granny's soul left her body. I am honored that I was the one there with her when she crossed over, holding her hand...

An old parish priest told my family at her funeral Mass that, my Grandma was truly "home for Christmas". That struck me and helped ease the sorrow. I've never forgotten his words. I never will forget them. This little house ornament I found at Hallmark that same year shortly after my grandma's passing...
Home for Holidays

on the backside is clear plastic and inside is a music box... you turn the handle and it plays:
"I'll be home for Christmas"
Every year...I get that ornament out, turn the handle, sing "I'll be home for Christmas" and put it on my tree and remember my Granny.
Home For Holidays Back


When I was growing up, my grandmother had a set of Santa and Mrs. Claus ceramic statues that she put every year on her buffet.They had been a gift from a college girl that cleaned her house every Friday to earn money for school. I loved those statues. I can remember having "conversations" with them, making stories up...I was a very imaginative kid. I bet I was around 6 or 7 when she got them. Like I said, I loved those things.

When it came down to getting things from my Grandmother's estate, I really and truly wanted Santa and Mrs. Claus. But I didn't get them, they went to my brother....and I'm going to be honest here, I've always envied him and his wife a little bit for having those statues.
This summer, I was Googling Santa and Mrs. Claus statues
(and its amazing what you can find out in this world by doing wide searches)
...well anyway I found out that the molds for the set was made by
Atlantic Mold Company.
So that led me searching down another avenue and did you know that:
Lo and behold you can get the set and paint them even today!


Guess what....
I got my set.
And....every time I look at them, I see my Granny's face.
and I will forever, as long as I'm around, have these out at Christmas and
SO....
I'm making memories that I hope...
is leaving indelible marks in four people's hearts....

Santa and Mrs. Claus


Here is my Granny and Pap...
newlyweds on their first Christmas together.
(she was just 16, he was 22)
Granny and Pap


Here they are at my wedding in 1996....
which was just 4 months before their 60th wedding anniversary

Granny and Pap 1996

My Grandpa passed in June 1999, two months before their 64 wedding anniversary.
That's a legacy...
and I'm proud to be a part of it.
I love you Granny and I love you Pap!
Give the baby Jesus a kiss on the cheek from me this year and whisper in His ear that I love Him and I'm letting my little light shine down here for all the world to see.

Until tomorrow....
I'll be keeping my hands to work..
my heart to God..
while treating my neighbor with kindness and respect, 
and trying to be the best me I can be.
It's hard, isn't it?
I may stumble and I may fall, but I pick myself up and I remember:
To thine own self be true...
because...
I want to BE the change I want to SEE.
Join me!

Merry Christmas,
Vonna xxxx

35 comments:

  1. Such a great post, Vonna. It was so nice to read about your memories of your grandparents and how they are so wonderfully woven with Christmas. Like you I often go down memory lane and think of all the little things and events that remind me of my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about your wonderful Grandma. You are lucky to get some treasures from her house. She will be smiling at you when she sees all these ornaments hanging on your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful memories Vonna and lovely pictures of your grandparents.
    Every ornament on our tree has a story that goes with it.My favourite ones are little oriental lanterns that were my late mother in law's.I was smiling broadly when I saw your ceramic Santa. I have one which is similar. He is in the picture on my advent blog post. I do not have Mrs Claus though. Your figures look lovely together:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such treasured memories you were blessed too have them so enjoy seeing old & new on your tree warms my heart such beauty and what traditions you are creating for your children....love

    ReplyDelete
  5. See this is what i like about Christmas, the memories when we get our ornaments out. Thanks for sharing yours, (and yes your little Mrs Clause looks just like your Grandma :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I want to say today is...Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keith's question about the green beans is hilarious, and your memories are lump-in-my-throat heart-warming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! What a great post today Vonna. I have one lone whirly-gig ornament from Brian's Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet and heart warming post. Thank you Vonna, reading about your memories of your Grandma made me think about the memories of my Mom, she LOVED Christmas and I will admit that ever since her passing in 2004 I have not been in the Christmas spirit but Ever year I still put up our tree and little decorations around the house and smile and the memories she made for me :)

    In that early picture of your grandparents, your grandma looks a lot like your oldest daughter.... Strong genes .
    Have a beautiful and blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story. Family is everything. Memories will always be with us. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a heart warming story and memories you shared on day 15, Vonna! I enjoyed reading the memories you have behind the ornaments on your tree from your Granny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Vonna! I found these signs and stories VERY touching. Your grandma was a really cute lady, too. ;) :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post, bringing back memories for me, just like so many others who have commented. Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a beautiful soul Vonna, says she as she wipes a tear from her eye.... thank you for sharing such lovely memories...May your
    light continue to shine.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice story. pretty decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your husband's comment about green beans. priceless! I still hang my two whirly-gigs up every year. I'll have to send you a photo later.

    JHM

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely post Vonna with treasured memories of your Grandma. I think the little Santa and Mrs Santa that you painted do indeed look like your Grandma and Grandpa!
    What was Keith thinking - green beans?! Sounds like something my husband would say.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for your lovely post. I lost my mother this summer and part of me is dreading opening the boxes of ornaments, many of which she made for me. Now I feel it won't be so difficult but happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful memories you have Vonna. I know you treasure them daily. The little Santa and Mrs. Claus are just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Vonna. Tears threaten to fall.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing this lovely story and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh how I miss my little Nanny during the holidays - the baking she did when she was younger - OH - how I miss it. We just don't have time to bake Christmas cookies any more. How sad.... Loved hearing about all your memories and special things from her. Love the little mrs claus is knitting - how fun! hugs mel

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories of your grandmother. I smile every time I think of my grandmas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a wonderful post. I'm so glad you had your Grand parents for a long time. I don't remember either of my grandfathers and only a bit about my grandmothers. I do have sentimental things on our tree. I guess a designer tree just isn't for me. Each year when we put up the tree, it's like a walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful memory, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful memories that you shared. I'm glad you found your treasure. Does your brother know how much that pair meant to you? I hope it meant the same to him.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such wonderful memories of your grand parents. Love the Mr. and Mrs. Claus, so glad you found them. It's great to have stories to go with the ornaments. For me, it's the best part of decorating the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Grandmothers are one of life's greatest blessings! Like you I loved my Grandmother dearly and she was an influence in shaping my life. My home is filled with small things from her life and I find joy and comfort in them. She continues to challenge me to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So neat to read about your relationship with your Granny. I was very close to mine too and I have her dresser and a table she had in her apartment, and I love having a little piece of her with me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. As I wipe the tears from I eyes, thank you for sharing such a special part of your life with strangers this Christmas. Love how we can bring back our loved ones just a little bit thru our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories. I'm so glad that you were able to find your own Mr.& Mrs. Clause figurines.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You were very blessed to have spent such a lot of your childhood with your grandparents. I did not have that pleasure, and surely missed out! It was very kind of you to share your memories with us... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Brought me to tears reading about your wonderful memories. I was thinking of my parents and all the joy we had at Christmas. I hope that someday my four
    Grandkids will have such warm and wonderful memories of me and my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a sweet post. Glad you have the Mr and Mrs Claus to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful memories Vonna - I enjoyed this post so very much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher