Thursday, August 27, 2015

Running down August...

~Greetings dear friends and stitching buddies ~
I'm really trying to keep this at least once a week blogging up :)
I don't really feel as I have anything good to share, but you never know...I might have something appealing to someone. At least it appears that many of you like to read my weekly drivel :)
And if you do not..then click away, my friend, to a new internet address. No need to stop and read any further. 

When we last visited...
I had shown you my current work in progress.

"Quaker Stocking"
by Carriage House Samplings
I am stitching it on 40 ct. Purely Primitive
using my own colors that I picked and substituted in reds/gold
I am using Classic Colorworks overdyed cottons:
Manor Red
Wild Berries
and
Honeycomb

Here is what it looked like on our last visit:
August 18, 2015
Quaker Stocking 2nd Progress


I worked on it a little bit over the weekend and on Sunday evening it stood at this point:
August 23, 2015
Quaker Stocking 8_23_15

 I've been putting a new plan into work here at home, as I alluded to last post...
I barely have time to myself on any given day. I'm not complaining! I like busy! I have been having sleep issues recently ~ like I don't sleep. I'm high strung ~ plain and simple. I have a lot of nervous energy. I know many people are like that ~ have to have their hands busy at all times, running lists in their head, etc. I never have time, it seems, to just sit and relax or turn my head off. I am usually doing some sort of housework. homework, finishing, counseling, cooking, packing lunches...... (the list could go on and on) until bedtime. I know that is a familiar habit with most people, I'm no exception. I've gotten into a bad habit of running around doing all manner of things right up until 9 p.m. My husband and I get up at 4:30 a.m. So therefore we go to bed earlier than most, I believe. When 9 p.m. rolls around everyone is on their way to bed. So I hurriedly take a shower, tuck everyone in, say bedtime prayers, goodnight, I love you; then I fall into my bed trying to go to sleep myself, but my head is still whirring and I lay and I lay. In an effort to be proactive in making more "me" time, I'm quitting "work" after the supper dishes are done. Therefore...I've had some enjoyable evenings this week stitching. Here is where my stocking stands as of this morning:

August 27, 2015
Quaker Stocking_8_27_15

Like 100% of everyone else on the face of the earth...
I'm busier than busy, but I have to have one day where I run errands, make appointments, etc. With my work schedule being primarily on weekends and the days before and after them,  I have to have one day during the week to just run. Yesterday was that day for this week. 

I got up at my usual time...
and actually put on make-up! Here's a picture to prove it:

Vonna August 2015 Polaroid

Most of the time I go around looking like Hagatha because I walk my daily 3 miles right after I walk Ellie to school. I'd just sweat make-up right off if I put it on in this hot/humid weather, so I don't put it on most days. But yesterday....I had a meeting at a new local senior health living campus as they just opened and there are around 5 Catholics there and I and my partner Eucharistic ministers will be taking the Eucharist there...so we had to get introduced to the staff and meet our new people. The priest came and blessed the facility and it was just a very nice time. Then I ran to my LNS (Fancy Works) and picked up my order waiting for me. Then I had to do the mid-week shopping we shop twice a week because our kids are eating machines. So I went to SAMs. By the time I made it there it was 1 p.m. and I was hungry! So I decided to treat myself to lunch at SAMs. And it was a perfect time to slobber all over my new stash!

Lunch @ SAMs

I got a "SAMs Slice Combo" which is a slice of pizza and a soda and I hadn't treated myself to my favorite frozen yogurt sundae in a long, long time so I got a triple berry sundae! YUMMY!

The stash was:
Heart in Hand "Woodland Peace" limited edition kit
Lizzie Kate "Tiny Tidings XX" and "Night Before Christmas Sleds"
La D Da "And Rudolph"
and Plum Street Samplers "Lesson Three Serial Bowl" I have all the lessons. Waiting...

Then I got home...
Unloaded Sally and put everything away. And laid out a new quilt square that I'm donating to our church for the new choir practice room. Since this one will be an inside quilt, I'm doing it on canvas. It is 4 x 4 feet. Here is the layout: 

Canvas Quilt Square

and I promptly went out into our garage and started painting it:
Canvas Quilt in progress

After I saw how lovely it is coming out on a canvas...
that mind of mine, you know the one ~ that never turns off, well it started thinking of all the wonderful small canvases available and I thought: 
Wouldn't small "seasonal" quilt canvases to scatter throughout the house seasonally in seasonal colors be wonderful? 
Hmmmm....
While supper was simmering I started looking...
and found these patterns:



Yeah...stay tuned....I think I am...


My kiddos are in the midst of Cross Country Season...
here they all are at their meet last Saturday at LaVern Gibson in Terre Haute, Indiana

Jacob ~ All time career Personal Record 21:08
Untitled


Ian ~ 21:34 Course Personal Record and Season Personal Record
Untitled


~Katie~
Untitled

Katie's picture was taken about 5 minutes before she collapsed. I'm not being dramatic. She was running great, started off the race fabulously and would have made a huge PR. But she had been struggling all week after work-outs with feeling bad, exhausted and aching legs. We figured out what it was: electrolyte imbalance and she had gone into heat stroke, basically. She was white as a sheet and not sweating at all. Thank God, going into the last K, I noticed she was not looking right. So I started running down to the finish chute. She didn't come and she didn't come. Finally, I saw her in the distance falling. She got up and would fall again. When she got up the last time, she was holding onto a fence and was like stumbling, and I could see she was incoherent. So I started sprinting and screaming to: "pull her off course, pull her off course!" But people were just looking at me like I was an idiot and staring at her ~ not doing anything. SO I sprinted the rest of the way there, and pulled her off myself. She immediately collapsed and was not awake at all. Three people came to help me, and they got ice and I got her shoes off and her watch off and we started putting ice on all her pulse points. Someone brought water and a Gatorade, but at first she'd choke...then finally she roused enough that she could swallow. When I got to her, she was saying (well sort of whispering/gasping) the Hail Mary, over and over. I knew she prayed when she ran because she says it gives her strength and diverts her mind from the race and how she might be hurting. Being a distance runner takes a strong mental attitude. That's why I encourage my kids to do it. It makes them mentally tough and physically strong. Anyway...little did she know that we needed to say that prayer, because she was in a bad way. 

They all run this same course, this weekend in the Indiana All Conference Meet. Will you please, please pray with me, that she comes out strong and stays well the whole race? That all of them do? Makes me a nervous wreck...and I can't be there this weekend because it is the weekend I work. But I told Keith to be ON TOP of the race and go along the course at various points to make sure she's A-OK! No professional help got to us until 20+ minutes last week. It was a nightmare, really. But the good news is: She's fine and I saw the best out of three people and their kindness and compassion while helping me. I was solid all the way through taking care of her, but once the professionals arrived, I fell apart a little. I really can't think about it without crying. So I'm not thinking about it.
God was with us, that's all I have to say, He was with us. 

Here's the finishing I've done for this week...
There was a huge order for custom project envelopes, iPad envelopes, needle envelopes....

Project Envelope Custom Halloween Custom Envelopes Fall Envelopes Dr. Who iPad cases Comic iPad cases



Stockings....

DTS_Nancy Stocking DTS_Amelina Stocking

Tooth Fairy Pillow...
I do like the tooth applique on the tooth pocket on back :)

JP_Tooth Fairy Pillow Front JP_Tooth Fairy Pillow Back Pocket


and I really loved the bold choice of fabric on this one!

JP_Gingerbread Boy



SO....
that does it for the run down for the last week in August!
After today I work Fri/Sat/Sun, I'm "off" on Monday (but that's laundry day...do that's really not being "off") and then work Tues/Wed next week. Have I mentioned I've picked up a few more days work each pay period?

Until next time...
I'll be keeping my hands to work,
my heart to God, 
while treating my neighbors with kindness and respect, 
and trying to be the best me I can be.
I stumble and I fall, but I pick myself and remember:
To thine own self be true. 
Loving my neighbor as myself. 
Let's all try hard to show love and kindness to our fellow human beings in this world.
From the headlines I read, to the demeanor of many people I meet ~ this world needs a change. A big change! And the only way its going to get there is if each and every one of us make the effort to be what we ourselves preach in our own heads. And don't we do it? If we are honest we do.
So be the change you want the world to be. Practice it and let it shine.
Grass roots people...grass roots! 
Let's make this world a better place!
Love in stitches,
Vonna xxxx

42 comments:

  1. Oh Vonna! I like you, love my kids to death. They are so very important to us! I cried while reading of Katie, Vonna. I lost it when I read that she was praying the Hail Mary over and over. God bless her. Oh, thank God she is okay. You can count on me praying.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Katie is ok, very scary moments for you. I love the idea of the seasonal canvases! Your finishes are awesome. Continue to try to take some time for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be saying prayers for Katie and all your children this weekend. Your stocking is beautiful...love your color choices. Hope you have time for you in the next week... you are a whirlwind of activity for everyone around you but remember you are important too...hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the images I always have in my mind when speaking of running is of a small Portuguese called Carlos Lopes that run and won the Los Angeles Olympic marathon in 1984, and we in Portugal had to watch it over night (due to time difference). He was/is tough mentally and an example to kids as I'm sure your kids are to others. Katie will pull through as the boys will too. We all, including you mom, will be thinking of them this weekend! Keith will be the guardian angel and will do a great job, for sure!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Vonna, I am glad Katie is all right. I will be keeping her and her brothers in my thoughts and prayers this weekend as they race. Your stocking is turning out fabulous as is your canvas quilt block. I like the idea of the seasonal quilt blocks.

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Vonna, that is so very scary! I'm so glad you were there to be her angel. I will send positive thoughts for you all. The stitching looks great. Hang in there! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vonna, I feel for you with your kids running cross country. My two boys also run cross country. My husband and I see them off and then strategically place ourselves along the course to make sure they pass a ok. Since Arkansas is still hot when the kidos run, all parents are on the lookout for kids collapsing. I will pray that your daughter does ok in this next meet. Good luck.
    On a happier note....I just love the colors for the Quaker stocking and the seasonal quilts is a great idea.
    Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very scary regarding your daughter Katie. I can't even imagine how you must have felt. I am grateful that she is okay. Your stitching is gorgeous, as usual. I hope you find some time to rest--we all need that time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vonna, I'm sorry to read about Katie! I'm so glad you were watching and alert!! I'm glad she made it thru ok. I'm sure Keith will watch them all next time when you're at work. Can't be easy to run in the heat and humidity. Your stitching is coming along beautifully. I am happy to read you are stopping to find some time for yourself in the evenings. Remember, can't work all the time.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I love reading your posts. Secondly your stitching is always top notch....wonderful to cathc up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy to hear Katie is ok. What a scare for all of you! You go mama bear - move them outta your way! ;-)
    Your stitching is lovely as usual - enjoy your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the stocking with the color changes. Looks like you've been a busy lady...kinda like me, burning the candle at both ends! Glad your daughter is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your stocking is looking great. Ooh, nice stash haul. It is great that you are making time for yourself each evening. I have a co-worker that is like you, she can't even sit still long enough to enjoy her lunch break, before she is up and doing something. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt square and what you come up with for the mini quilts. Glad Katie is OK, prayers that she stays well. Nice finishing as usual. Love the ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has been a great post. You are indeed very busy. With my kids all grown and my grand children so far away, my life is much simpler. My DH and I do try to stay busy with volunteer things that have meaning for us. I'm so glad Katie is ok and wish her the best in the coming race, the boys too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to be busy all the time too, but before I had my son I was determined to stop working around the house after dinner and just relax. It was hard at first, (a) because I didn't even cross stitch then!, and (b) because I usually have an energy rush from about seven to nine and it was always a great time to clean out a closet or something else. I am so glad I forced myself to take time for myself, especially now that I have more sitting hobbies like cross stitch and crochet! I end up spending more time with hubby, even if it's only to keep him company while he watches TV...
    I love your idea of the quilt squares. How perfect for those little square canvasses you can buy nowadays. Wouldn't a series in red and white look lovely nestled in a garland on top of the mantle at Christmas?! You hit genius with that idea!
    I hope your dear girl feels better at her next race. So scary for you and I imagine the whole thing added a few months to your life.
    I really do enjoy reading your blog and am glad you are trying to post more often! It's so nice to see the love between your entire family and how it colours your days. I would wish everyone such a family and then I think the world would be a truly wonderful place indeed.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll be sending Katie (and the boys) good vibes this weekend for a good race. Hope Katie stays well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also love your idea of the canvas quilt squares! I might try it. So glad you were able to help Katie. Prayers for you all this week and weekend. Taking the time for you is giving you the strength to help everyone else the rest of the time. It is needed, not a luxury. Have a great rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well! I'll just live vicariously through you, Vonna. I can't read your blog more than once this time. I'll collapse myself if I do! Love the way the stocking is coming...and your finishes, etc. I will pray for your sweet baby girl. In fact I already said a quick one for her. She's tough like her Mamma, isn't she? You need to slow down for sure. Thx for the post and the eye candy. Thoroughly enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your stocking. I like your idea of slowing down after dinner and taking a little time for yourself. Maybe the relaxation of stitching will help you sleep.
    I'm praying for your kids as they run again this weekend. Especially Katie after last weekend.
    Your finishes are lovely. We are all blessed you share with us, you are an inspiration !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonna: I am so sad more people did not help, maybe this was a wake-up call for them, I am so happy to hear Katie is doing well, heatstroke as you know can be deadly.
      I was a Nationally Certified EMT many years ago, it seems so many parents with children are so unaware of the signs and symptoms of heatstroke and many other problems with sports.
      The Hail Mary is my go to prayer for almost everything.
      Love the color change in your stocking, wow so beautiful.
      Your painted quilt squares are lovely, I have never thought of something like them.
      Your pocket books are such a great idea, all your stitching is beautiful.

      Blessings
      Catherine

      Delete
  20. love the stocking!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vonna I'm always amazed that you can "do it all"! Your stocking is looking wonderful and your finishing magnificent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so glad that Katie is okay--how scary for you and her! Very nice progress on Quaker Stocking!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. First, so glad Katie is okay. Sometimes that competitive streak takes us beyond our limit for that one time. Best of luck to her this weekend.

    As for your projects - the stocking is going beautiful and that project bag with the bicycles on it? TOO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, I was going to comment on your always active mind, cross stitch stocking, canvas quilt block and all the finishing you've done...but, as a fellow cross country mom, I'm thinking about (and praying for) Katie. My oldest daughter had a very similar experience on a particularly difficult course on an extremely hot and humid day. Perhaps it's my own experience, but emotions welled up in me as I was reading about Katie and I had to let the tears fall. I am praying for all participating this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been catching up on your posts and loving all the things you've been doing - vacation, stitching and finishing.

    It is always such a joy to read about your children.
    I felt so badly for Katie. I can imagine how you felt (having two children of my own).
    When you asked us all to pray for her I immediately thought about something I just read about prayer in the book 'Ya-Yas in Bloom' by Rebecca Wells "the right way to pray is not to beg, but to picture good things, to banish all bad things from your mind. To put up a huge wall of prayer so no bad thoughts can get in. To see what you want, and to feel the love....."
    This really spoke to me and I will picture nothing but good things for Katie tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. SO sorry your sweet daughter had a scare, but glad she's doing ok now. I know that must have been very frightening....The Hail Mary comes in handy, doesn't it??? So calming and serene! So precious that she was saying it!
    Your work is so lovely! Your stitching and finishing, and those bags! You can do it all!
    Love your stash! What fun you have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So scary to read about what happened to Katie. But good to know that you found out about the reason and that she is able to run again this weekend. My very best wishes go out to her and to your sons.

    I'm sure that it is a great idea to relax after dinner and to not continue being busy with housework, homework etc. And I can even imagine that this helps with your sleeping issues.

    Wonderful progress on your Quaker stocking. And such lovely new stash.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful newsy post Vonna. Your stocking is coming along beautifully and all your finishing is gorgeous.

    I am so glad that Katie is OK and pray that this continues for her future runs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful stitching! I really hope your daughter feels better, and that all your children have a healthy and happy meet. Stay strong, Vonna! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my Vonna I am so glad Katie is better!!! Praise God but I know how scared you must have been! I love reading you blog enjoying you handwork and watching your family grow. I love that you are real and you show your faith and love and dependence on our Lord. Keep doing what you do. Will lift up Katie and family this week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm back to the blog and thought I'd catch up with you here, even though I have ya on FB. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! You really are a busy lady, but I admire all your energy to get things done everyday. Keep finding that time for you.

    What a scary experience with your daughter. I hope all is well and that it doesn't happen to her again.

    Love your stitching and finishing like always. Can't wait to see your seasonal blocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Vonna, thank God for your quick thinking in getting to Katie. I hope she has recovered fully.
    I'm astounded at how much you manage to fit into your day. I'm a very bad sleeper too, mainly due to worry and unfortunately, it comes through in my dreams so I know how you must feel. When you get up that early you need a restful night.
    Sending good wishes and prayers to you and your lovely family.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sending prayers for Katie and the boys. And prayers for you too Vonna. Love the colors you selected for your stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I always love reading about your day to day and family life Vonna - but when I got to the bit about Katie, my goodness that was scary and my heart was in my mouth, I'm glad she is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Glad Katie is Ok. That must have been very scary for you and her. I will be praying for the kiddos this weekend. Great finishes Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yikes, I hope that all went well last weekend for Katie and the boys. Prayers that this does not happen again. I can only imagine your fear and horror and I am so glad to read that everything tuned out okay. Ugh!
    You have always been one of the busiest, most productive people I know. "A" personality for sure. Come to VT an spend time with me…I'm a slug. Lounge around an do very little. :-)
    Your stocking is gorgeous. I struggle with 40ct, it's the old eyes!
    Will email you soon. Stay well, my friend and try to SLOW DOWN. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Vonna,

    I am so glad to read that Katie is fine now and recovered from her
    very frightening ordeal! She's so lucky that you were there and
    paying close attention to her physical state. A truly terrifying
    experience for all of you. Hope that things will be better at the
    next race for her.

    I dunno Vonna. I read your blog posts (and on Facebook) and
    see all that you do each and every day and then I have to go
    lay down with a cold compress over my face!! You are some
    crazy, busy lady! I'm glad that you've decided to take a break
    after the dishes are done to relax and recharge. It'll do you a
    world of good and make your busy days more bearable. Hope
    it's helping with your sleep patterns as well. Getting up at
    4:30? Yikes!! I get up at 6:30 and pat myself on the back for
    that.

    I love your stitching and finishing projects Vonna but I'm really
    fascinated by the quilt squares on canvas that you've been
    making. Those are so cool!!! And the creative possibilities
    are endless! Those fall designs will look amazing in your
    home. Have you done a step by step pictorial of the process
    on a previous blog post that I can see? Can't remember.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am very glad to hear that some people came to your aid in treating Katie. Gee whiz--you would think they have medical people there onsite... I know there are rules about that... maybe this event did not fit the criteria. My 15 year old granddaughter has joined the Cross Country team at high school. She was a gymnast but after brain surgery, cannot do that anymore. Hopefully, the running is okay for her... I am keeping her covered in prayer! Love the stocking!! It looks wonderful!! And your finishing project bags. And the quilt squares. And the STASH! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, Vonna! How frightening for you and Katie! I'm so glad she's okay and I'm glad you were there to see what was happening. It's odd that no one else seemed to notice her distress. Praise God, indeed, that He was with her and kept her in His loving hands.

    I'm loving your stocking! As I said before, those colors are just amazing!! You have such an eye for beauty. Love seeing everything and catching up.

    God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your stocking!! And that triply berry sundae looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher