Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Our Florida Vacation...

~ Greetings dear friends and stitching buddies ~

One week of school done....
and we have somewhat settled into a "routine" again... I guess.
I have 4 lunches to pack each morning, so I get up at 5 a.m. to get that done. 3 out of 4 of the kids are currently in Cross Country Season so it takes a lot of calories to fuel those engines. Yowza! Let me tell you between cooking and getting back into a routine and starting my exercising again in earnest...
Let me tell you, I'm exhausted! Completely exhausted. But I'm taking B12 and my vitamins and I shall revive myself again soon. I think it is  partly due to this oppressive humidity that is getting to me.

Anyway...
enough woe is me...I'm awake and going and that's all that matters!
I'm rejoicing in this day the Lord has made...
maybe I can go to bed this evening at 7 p.m. :)
There is ALWAYS hope!

June 2015...
saw the end of the school year 2014-2015. The boys are 15 and have completed Driver's Training and their driving test and all is "on board" for getting their driver's license. So, we bought them a car ~ Buick Le Sabre. They call it "Sally" :) They are so proud of it! And it has been my official tootle-ing around town car all summer and for the future too. I sort of like Sal. She's a goodie. 
Here they are shining her up, shortly after we got her..
(since this photo I have spray painted the hub caps and they are shiny and chrome and pretty wonderful!)

Vonna iPad 7_6_15 241

June saw my Miss Ellie...
choose her first stitching project! She is in 4H and she had signed up for cross stitching as a fair entry. 

Vonna iPad 7_6_15 120

She had never stitched before and...
she took to it like a duck to water!

Vonna iPad 7_6_15 121

June 12 came and we were headed to....
St. Augustine, Florida!!!!!!!!!!
Oh we so love that place :)
Here we are at the shrine ~ Nombre de Dios
(the kids were feeding the squirrels) 


Vonna iPad 7_6_15 259


Then it was down to Old Town for lunch and a treat. I was THRILLED to find they had a Dole Whip stand this year!!!!!!!!!!! I hadn't had one since I had been in Disney World when I was 13.

Vonna iPad 7_6_15 255


Sunday, June 14 was our first day on the beach....
Mr. Beach Bum :)

Vonna iPad 7_6_15 258


Here is a shot of where we stay each year...the court yard of Four Winds Condominiums.

Vonna iPad 7_6_15 265

View from the Master Bedroom....
Vonna iPad 7_6_15 282

Evening swim selfies....
Vonna iPad 7_6_15 256

Vonna iPad 7_6_15 257


Very early morning beach walks...
and of course Katie found THREE sand dollars over the week. Here Ian had found a very large whelk.

Vonna iPad 7_6_15 260

We visited the Lighthouse...
Vonna iPad 7_6_15 365

Another early morning walk shot...of all 4 of my babies...

011

this was the last day early morning walk on the beach. We walked 5 miles to the end of Crescent Beach. There's a little inlet and the Intercoastal Waterway is on the other side of that bridge. You can't see them but there was a Pelican Party on the other side of this inlet and I told Ellie, I was going to swim this and go see the pelicans. (it was very choppy that day).

017

She didn't like that idea so here she is going to tell on me to Daddy to talk some sense into me....I was kidding, but I'm very convincing! HA!

016


Random beach shots...

015

They were headed to the Pelican Party...

Pelicans 1

It was wonderful! Not a rain drop fell the entire time we were there...
which is a good thing because Summer in Indiana this year was awful! It was like we lived in Seattle or London. .. rain every day. Gray. Damp. Then when the sun did come out it was humid and soupy. Not a good summer weather wise...but memory wise wonderful!

This will be our last vacation for awhile to Florida since Katie will be starting college in a year. Keith and I are determined to give all 4 of our children the gift of a college education. So luxuries like a week in paradise is off limits for a while until we see how we can swing a kid in college. We have to remember that in two years following Katie is two boys. So....when you think like that and see what tuition is. Well *gulp*.

To remember our many years of good times at the beach in St. Augustine, Florida...
I stitched just a portion of the design from Country Cottage Needleworks ~ "She Sells Sea Shells".
It is stitched over 1 on 32 ct. linen. I then filled it with bright blue beads to simulate the water and inserted two little shells from the beach that I picked up while I was there, intended for this very purpose :)


CCN She Sells Sea Shells Pocket Watch Necklace CCN She Sell Sea Shells Pocket Watch Necklace_close

We got back from vacation on June 23 and I got busy painting my "Barn Square" that I turned into a Garden Quilt:
Bountiful Star Garden Quilt

Pretty awesome, isn't it?! 

Until next time my dear friends....
I'll be keeping my hands to work,
my heart to God, 
while being the best ME I can BE
and being kind and non-judgemental to those around me. 
To thine own self be true, while loving my neighbor as myself. 
Its a challenge and one that I fail, at times, but the important thing is: I pick myself up and march on!
Join me! Make the world a better, happier place!

Love in stitches,
Vonna xxxx

32 comments:

  1. What a great post Vonna! Memories to cherish!! Thanks for sharing your family with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonna, so much wonderful eye candy--Florida, family, the wonderful necklace. Thank you so much for sharing. OH! and the amazing garden quilt. Now, I really want one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kiddos continue to grow! Looks like vacation was a winner. Thanks for update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading your blog posts and seeing your pretty cross stitch and craft projects. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little stitching you did to commemorate all of your beach vacations, Vonna, and the painted garden quilt is gorgeous. Maybe I should try something like that to liven up our poor garden--between the horrid summer weather (much like yours in IN) and my husband's broken neck, our garden this year is a total bust.

    The gift of a college education is something your kids will be grateful for forever. Our sons still thank us all the time for leaving them debt free after graduation :)

    Hope you get a bit more free time now that the kids are back in school and you'll have two more drivers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to get caught up with you Vonna. What a wonderful, happy post. I love Sally. :)
    And your awesome Barn Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a fabulous Florida vacation you had as a family. It looked like everyone has a fabulous time. So, what is a Dole whip? Your watch fob necklace stitching is very cool. I love your Garden Quilt block. Care to share more details?

    Robin in Virginia

    PS How is Miss Ellie with her stitching project?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your stitching to remember your family vacations and isn't it nice you were all still able to go - memories your kids will have for years to come. Well I wish we could swap weather for awhile - we are on course to set a record for number of days without rain. I hope you were able to get your job promotion that you mentioned in one of your posts.

    Take care
    Elizabeth B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wonderful photos of your family vacation--it looks like it was a fun time! And the little stitched necklace is a lovely way to remember your beach vacations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...I want to be in St. Augustine...looks great! Love your finishes and am going to steal the Garden quilt idea...would be great on my back fence. happy stitching if you have time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh thank you for sharing your wonderful family with us including your fabulous vacation - so many wonderful memories to treasure forever!! Your stitching is beautiful - will there be a post about any State Fair entries for you this year?

    I just saw a picture on CCN about Miss Ellie's first ribbon-winning stitching project - do tell us more! Congratulation to Miss Ellie -,fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post!! St Augustine is our favorite place to visit. Last Christmas we went for the first time it was so amazing. I hope we go back again this Christmas, I think we will try to make it a yearly treat.

    I love the she sells Sea shells very cute.

    Hopefully you can get caught up on your rest, it's going to be a long school year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vonna! Thx for the recap! Great times! Would love to visit there. But the necklace.... Oh it's the best yet! Wait! Is that actually paint on that wall? No way! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's wonderful that you had such a special vacation. My mom and dad gave me the gift of a college education. I will forever be thankful to them for that. I enjoyed 30 wonderful years of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The summer sure went by fast. Your pictures are fabulous. So many memories to cherish from your vacation.
    This will be an exciting school year with Katie being a senior. Lots of hard work but fun too !!
    I love your posts.......they are all inspiring !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had a very relaxing and fun vacation. The necklace is a perfect remembrance....so cute! Your kids are growing up, enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE your little beach necklace! :-)
    St Augustine is one of my absolute favorite cities. I grew up about 1/2 an hour from there and love it! If you haven't been to the pirate museum there (only a few years old now), you guys should go on your next trip down. I thought it was a nice little museum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful vacation and summer! I would love to visit St. Augustine again some day. I love Ellie's projects. You must be so proud of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you vacations were fantstic!! I love the old watcha case project, ended up so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that tiny little watch case piece! Gorgeous, and what a wonderful way to remember your awesome vacation. Looks like you had a great time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your little beach stitchery! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really nice post about your family vacation--thanks for sharing! Everyone looks like they enjoyed it! It WASN'T hot and humid in Florida?? Being near the coast makes a difference! Darling little necklace to remember the trip! Back to a routine now... Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing your vacation pics, and the wonderful remembrance necklace. I really love it. I always enjoy reading your blog. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm behind on my blogs! Such an eventful blog post -- wow! The one thing that sticks in my mind is your hope for funding college tuition. Good luck to you. I know how hard it is. We're at the point where we see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. It will be a relief to pay that final tuition payment in December! It's not easy, but determination will see you through. Unbelievable, right? That Katie will be going to college in a year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely to get caught up with you Vonna! Fabulous family vacation. And LOVE LOVE your amazing beach mini sampler and your beautiful garden quilt:))) All your projects are so inspiring. love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such lovely vacation photos. Glad everyone had a good time. LOVE your beach necklace and your garden quilt. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Vonna - such wonderful pictures.
    I LOVE your tiny beach stitching for the charm. It's amazing!

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful vacation memories!

    Hugs
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  28. A great post on your holiday in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Daily routine comes back fast, doesn't it? And it's good like that I think. But you have all these sweet memories of your week in Florida, and all the wonderful pictures you took. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just loved this post. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this post Vonna! Your pictures were beautiful and I'm so glad you had a wonderful time in St. Augustine. I haven't been there in so long. I keep telling my honey I want to take a trip up there sometime. Love your little stitching memento of the trip. It is so pretty. The barn square is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the little stitch you did to remember your vacation by! And adding the shells you picked yourself just finished it perfectly! I hope Ellie is still stitching. Were you her stitching leader? I hope you don't mind too much that I am over a year behind and still commenting! Yikes I need to get caught up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher