Monday, December 29, 2014

Holy Smokes....its over!

~ Greetings Friends and Warm Welcome ~
what happened to December? My heavens to mercy...that went FAST!

We had a lovely Christmas here at home as a family and then we traveled to my husband's parents home and have a lovely time there :)
We hit some of my childhood favorites...
We went through the Easter Seals and Ritzy's Fantasy of Lights in Garvin Park in Evansville, Indiana. Garvin Park is right by Bossy Field which (as a little "side" note) was one of the fields that they shot in the movie "A League of Their Own". In fact all of the fields featured in the movie was from the area that I grew up in. I even saw Madonna the summer they were there. She was quoted saying that the Evansville area was worse than Russia because at that time (early 90's) only the city areas had cable television and where she was staying (in an older farm house in the country near Darmstadt, Indiana) did not have cable and she couldn't watch MTV.

We also hit "Sandy's Pizza" in Fort Branch, Indiana for our once a year "Pizza Extravaganza". Sandy's has a lunch "all U can eat" buffet and believe me...well you just feel like "ugh" afterward...But a well worth it "ugh"!!!
Sandy's is in the little town right next to the one I grew up in (Haubstadt, Indiana). Sandy's was the local pizza joint where you went after a HS ballgame with your friends and ate pizza and drank all the Coke you wanted and just had a good time! Here we are at Sandy's: 

The girls and I


The Boys
(notice my husbands shirt.....)

Awww....a great good time, had by all! Thank you to my mother-in-law Bernie for showing us such a great time! She always treats us like royalty when we are staying with her! 
:)

Here are three ornaments that I didn't show during the 25 Days of Christmas with 
The Twisted Stitcher.


BBD_Peace



Bent Creek_ABC Christmas



Little Red Bird

And I also stitched "Santa's Fill" by Shepherd's Bush, but I didn't photograph it, apparently, and yesterday we took down our Christmas decorations. So I'm not digging through hundreds of ornaments to find it. But you can see it at this link: Santa's Fill 
We took our decorations down early because, Keith will be travelling on business and I have to work all next weekend and I can't lift and carry boxes by myself, so down it came. 

I'll be honest...
I love Christmas, but it is always a great feeling to have your house all cleaned and fresh and ready for a "new start" for New Years!

I'll have one more post in 2014...
my "Vonna's Year in Review" post on New Year's Eve, but before I go into that, I'd like to talk about one thing that I'm working toward in 2015. Our priest at my church is relatively new. He has been there about 1.5 years now. Its hard to have a change in your pastoral "care" when you are used to and love the priest that was there before, but I have come to respect and love Fr. Mahan, our current priest at our church: St. John the Apostle 

All of Advent...
he has had a series of sermons based on "your personal relationship with God". It has made me think deeply about my "personal relationship with God" and know that I need to work on it. I have purchased a prayer journal and plan on writing intentions from my friends in my prayer journal so that I can pray for those in need. Do you have a need for prayer? If so I would like to pray for you and your needs or your family/friends needs, please e-mail me privately (my e-mail is under the picture of the mailbox) and I will add your intention to my prayer journal and remember them in my daily prayers. Of course, it would be private and I would not share anything with anyone. I just want to improve my prayer life and myself and in the process help any that are in need.
Thank you in advance!

In the meantime...
I'm picking my New Year's Eve cross stitch start...are you?!

Until next time...
I'll be keeping my hands to work and heart to God, just like always!
Join me!

Love in stitches, 
Vonna xxxx

38 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your December posts. I want to let you know that each and every one was read and appreciated! Your work is always an inspiration for me. I keep forgetting that you're in my home state of Indiana! I'm originally from Northwest Indiana, but it makes me happy to see any posts that mention my home state. And as a fellow Catholic, I totally understand how the transition from one priest to another can be a little difficult. I keep wondering how I'll feel when one or both of ours leave. Thank you again for your lovely blog and I hope that you have a very blessed and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your husband's shirt! Lol! I'm with you on taking down the tree. We'll take ours to where they make them into mulch. Taking down the tree is almost as much a ceremony as it is putting one up and decorating. I think about the Christmas we had, the loved ones we celebrated with, and just how much Weight I have gained in the past month! Looking forward to your year-end review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ornaments. You and your children must have such wonderful memories of all the times you spend together. I think there is nothing more valuable then the memories we have of our childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the 25 days of Christmas, Vonna! I enjoyed every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vonna I too want to let you know how much I enjoyed and appreciated every December post! You are an inspiration. I am going to have a goal of at least one Christmas ornament a month for 2015 and I will be reading some of your tutorials as well. Thank you for your generous spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all your ornanaments...an inspiration to get stitching! AND love all the boys shirts! Our 3 sons ran cross country and did well. I think it is one of the best sports around. You learn a lot from running distance competiton about yourself.The fact you can medal individually as well as a team--beats getting beat up on the football feild! Our 7th grade grand daughter picked up the bug and ran this fall. I didn't realize how much I had missed going to meets. Looking forward to watching her the next 5 years. She did VERY well!
    Thanks again for a great site too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you--2014 seemed to be in zoom speed. Surely did enjoy you December posts--beautiful stitching, Christmas memories and plans, and especially your family. Looking forward to reading/seeing your 2014 year in review. Most importantly thank you for praying for others

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with others and agree your December posts have been most enjoyable Vonna.
    Will look out for the last one of 2014

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just can't thank you enough, Vonna. Your posts have been such an inspiration. I am already taking apart a large design to make a small project. That encouragement came from your post on the Sampler Tree.What a wonderful idea your prayer book is, and so kind to offer up prayers for a world so in need of them. I wish you and your family a wonderful 2015!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your 25 days of Christmas and sharing photos of all your gorgeous ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vonna what a lovely post. I love your finishes they are beautiful! thank you again for the 25 days of Christmas sharing your faith and family! I have enjoyed every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 25 days of Christmas was like opening a special gift each day. Such fun and so full of meaning.
    Thanks again for sharing a bit of holiday magic with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finishes! Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am looking forward to another year with the twisted stitcher. Love the shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to another wonderful year with you, Vonna!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a Happy and blessed New Year Vonna and family. I have a bunch of projects ready to go. The needles with will hot this year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had a great time at your in-laws. Thanks for sharing your family and your talents with us. I enjoyed your 25 days, and always enjoy your blog! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely post, Vonna, as were all of your posts this month--thank you! I look forward to your posts in 2015. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the last three ornaments, as beautiful as all the rest. Your Christmas sounds lovely, family is the best present you can have. Looking forward to 2015 with The Twisted Stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have really enjoyed your 25 days of Christmas and wanted to let you know how much I have appreciated all the time and effort you've put into it. It does not go un-noticed! Thank you!

    New Years will see me pull out a WIP that has been in deep hibernation that I am *really* going to focus on finishing. I'm excited about it so right now, it feels like a NY new start!

    How great to be able to take your family back to your HS hangouts!

    Wishing you and yours a Happy (and safe) New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry Christmas Vonna and Family: What a wonderful way to celebrate your work, the 25 days of Christmas was so much fun to follow.
    Thank-you for sharing a little bit of your Christmas.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. 25 days - gone! We truly enjoyed those posts. Wishing you a blessed new year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing with us all your holiday posts. Your ornaments are so beautiful and wow what a collection you have.
    Happy New Year to you and your family. I look forward to what you have to share with us in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  24. One of the best things that happened to me when I first started to blog was finding you and your blog. Wishing you a very wonderful new year. Thank you for these past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful ornaments, Vonna! I wanted to say that I really enjoyed catching up on your 25 Days too, and I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to comment on them. Happy New Year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I kept a prayer journal for a few years. It was amazing to go back through it at the end of a year and check off the requests that were answered - almost all were! The answers didn't always go the way I wanted; but in looking back, I am happy for the way things have turned out. It is wonderful to see God working in my life that way. Enjoy your prayer journal. It will strengthen your connection with our Father.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful ornament finishes, I especially love the Little Red Bird :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your finishes are lovely, as always!
    Thank you for sharing the 25 days and I really enjoyed seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful finishes. Glad to see and hear you had a great Christmas. I think the trees and decorations are coming down tomorrow, everywhere needs a tidy before I go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely finishes! Your family Christmas sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your ornaments are gorgeous, as usual. You have such a talent for stitching and finishing! I very much enjoyed your 25 days and I really hope you continue it next year. And thank you for spending so much of your time writing all those posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Vonna - I would be remiss if I didn't tell you how much I loved your 25 Days of Christmas, too. But...I must also tell you that I love everything you post all year long. It is really a special day when I see that you have a new posting to share with us. You are so talented, so creative and especially, so generous! I don't think any of us can ever thank you enough for your inspiration and your wonderful tutorials - they are a labor of love that you have gifted to all of us.

    I don't really know how you do everything you do - wife, mother, worker, stitcher/finisher extraordinaire - the list is endless! I am in awe! and I truly thank you so much!!

    Happy New Year to you and your family and may God bless you in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It always amazes me at all the time we spend preparing for Christmas and then--zoom--it's gone in a flash! I'm so glad you enjoyed your family time, Vonna--there is nothing better :)

    Your last few ornaments are darling--I'll have to dig out that issue of the JCS magazine and stitch that one myself :)

    Like you, I always love getting the house "back to normal" and will be doing that tomorrow as I also have to work this weekend! Have to take advantage of my oldest son to help hoist the boxes of Christmas stuff into the attic while he is still around. That's the price he has to pay for some good home cooked meals :)

    Anyway, I've so enjoyed your 25 Days of Christmas and all of your inspiring finishes and helpful tutorials this year--thank you for making all of us better finishers!!

    Happy New Year, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. lovely post as always Vonna ! I do pray every day and I include a prayer for all the Christian souls around the world many of whom are under daily persecution. I pray mainly for my family and the sick by name. Good luck with your new goals and your prayer journal. Love the ornaments you showed in this post. You have inspired me so much with your stitching and finishing. I always start a BAP on NYD and this year mine will be Eleanor Parr by Scarlet Letter - crazy - you betcha! Happy New Year to you and your family - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's been a swell ride with you this Christmas Vonna--in fact, all year, as you have shared your finishes and finishing! Love the last three ornaments. I have two out of three in my stash, and surely do wish to add 'Little Bird' to them! Have a great New Year's celebration tonite! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  36. All of your ornaments are beautiful. I'm taking down Christmas tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What happened to December? is a really good question and I ask myself the same question every year, lol. It was good to read that you were having a wonderful season with your family. And I want to thank you very much for your 25 days all through the advent time until Christmas. I have read each and every single post and it was such a pleasure to see all the family pictures and the stitchy ones, and to read about your family and your hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your husbands shirt is awesome! Was that a gift from you? I need to get one to give my husband! I can't believe that you stitched even more ornaments that you didn't use in your 25 days! I finally took all my things down this past weekend. And I have my first ornament done for 2015. Well I do still need to "finish" it. The end of your post had me in tears, it's like you knew something about me that most people don't, I'll email you.........

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher