Sunday, December 07, 2014

Day 7...

~ Greetings and warm welcome to ~
Day 7...
Today is the second Sunday of Advent and we light the second purple candle on our Advent Wreath whilst we pray:
"Father in heaven, set our hearts ablaze to follow in the steps of John the Baptist. May we bring light and love to all we meet, that the darkness of sin and fear may be overcome. In Christ's name we ask this. Amen."

...and may it be so!

Today I have to share the last ornament of the three from Flora McSample's 2011 ornaments.

"Peace"
designed by: Lizzie Kate
stitched on 28 ct. milk chocolate
using DMC

LK Peace


On the Friday after Thanksgiving...
while Katie was eating a leftover dinner roll, I got down all my antique Ball jars from the top of my cabinets. I always decorate to the seasons. So I try to stretch some of my Christmas decorations to also include the winter months. My Ball jars are included in the "stretch". In the spring and summer my Ball jars are empty except for my large quart jars will have white Daisies in them. In autumn the quart jars have colored leaves. Starting with Christmas and continuing to spring all of my jars become winter wonderland "snow globes". I shared these with you last year. It was time again to fill for this year and here they all are:


These jars were my Grandmother Epperson's canning jars. Some are quite old. All have the nickle tops and the fruit jars have the glass covers. All in tact and usable to this day. Having them on top of my cabinets makes for a cute display all year long and seeing them every day reminds me of my Grandma. 

I fill each jar with some "snow" (I save it year to year in a 2 gallon Ziplock bag so I don't have to buy it year after year.) We fill each jar with about a cup of snow for the big guys and 1/2 cup for the fruit jars. Then we add the bottle brush trees and put the lids back on and there you go ~ instant snow globe!
 EDITED TO ADD: Here is last year's blog post that has all the particulars on WHERE TO FIND the snow and trees. CLICK HERE

We arrange them all back on the top of our cabinets and they will stay up there like this until March.

Here's  a corner cabinet shot so you get the idea :)


Ok folks....
there you have Day 7!

Until tomorrow...
I'll be keeping my hands to work and heart to God, just like always! Join me!

Love in stitches,
Vonna xxxx

22 comments:

  1. What a great idea! You are very lucky to have all of those beautiful jars. I lost the few I had during the earthquake earlier this year. I will be hunting down new ones after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vonna,
    I am so glad that you posted about the snow globes in mason jars. I had been trying to find your older post about the materials used -- where you got the trees and the fake snow. Would you be willing to share that information again? Thanks! Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie: please see the link that I put in from last year. It will show the bags/brands I use for the trees and snow, and tells you where to find them. Thank you for your visit!

      Delete
  3. I love the lizzie kate ornament. I have these in my stash. If I ever finish this model I need to stitch them. I love the mason jars filled with snow and trees they look so festive. Can't wait for tomorrows post. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vonna, I love your Lizzie Kate Peace. Great job as always. I admire your energy in getting those jars down 3 times a year and changing the display in them. They look wonderful on top of your cabinets and what a wonderful memory of your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vonna--

    Thanks for posting about the mason jar snow globes. I remember that you had provided instructions about how you made these a year or two back. Would you be willing to repost the information about what kind of fake snow you use and where you found the bottlebrush trees? Thanks! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie: please see the link that I put in from last year. It will show the bags/brands I use for the trees and snow, and tells you where to find them. Thank you for your visit!

      Delete
  6. Another beautiful ornament to add to your collection.
    I like how you display your jars year round and change for the season; sweet memories of your grandmother.
    Have a peaceful day 7 of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each ornament so special. I stitched all rhree of those this year to. The jars are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely ornament finish! I love your ball jar snow globes! I remember them from last year and just love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are on the same wave length, my Christmas gift to friends are snow and trees w/extra item in Ball jars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh ......so much work, but so cute! Your home is a Christmas wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too stitched the L&K Peace but I still need to do the finishing…yours looks beautiful.

    So nice that you use the canning jars all year and what a great day to keep you Grandma close ay heart. The older ones are my favorite.

    Merry, merry my dear friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cross stitch, and how wonderful to use those special canning jars; and be able to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, yet simple and meaningful decorations. What a crafty lady you are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the LK Peace, and the finishing is so neat, just perfect.
    Beautiful mason jars, such a simple idea but so effective.
    Love Linda O xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Lizzie Kate ornament ! Aleways finished perfectly ! Love ..love..love the mason jars especially because of their history !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another darling ornament--your finishing is always so perfect, Vonna :) And how pretty those mason jars look above your cupboards...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Ball canning jars as Snow Globes! Such a clever idea! I think I missed the Flora McSample ornaments... but I am not sure, so I will dig into my stash... later! Thanks for sharing again! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea! I love how everything in your house has meaning, I just want to come visit and have you tell me stories about everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful use for your historic memory-filled canning jars Vonna. It's a truly thoughtful and creative way to have them part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I probably said this last year, but what a cute and clever way to use the jars for the seasons. Love the L*K ornament!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher