Saturday, December 13, 2014

Day 13 and Day 14...

~ Greetings and Warm Welcome to ~
Day 13 and Day 14...
I'm combining these two days as, I unexpectedly got called in to work a midnight shift last evening (Friday, Dec. 13) because of a co-worker's illness. Sadly, my husband and I were hosting a Christmas dinner with our good friends and I had a house full of guests ready to party it up! My supervisor called just as we were sitting down to dinner.... the news that I had to work at 11 p.m. sort of put a "damper" on our festive spirits, but we had a good time anyway! :)

Let me tell you, I have the utmost respect for those people that can work midnight shift and still maintain a life that is full. As for me, personally, being a healthcare worker and working at a hospital for the past 21 years, I have worked midnight shift as a young woman fresh out of college, when I was single with no one to care for other than myself. I didn't like midnight shift then, but worked it on rotating shifts to have a job. I like second shift just fine (3 p.m. - 11 p.m.), but midnight shift (11 p.m. - 7 a.m. shift)....I hate that shift with a passion. Luckily I haven't had to work it much over the last 21 years, but this "refresher" just reminded me again - I am not a midnight shift person, at all! But to put a positive spin on it: it was fun to sort of step outside my "normal" routine and burn the midnight oil. One man told me I was the happiest lab person he'd seen in there on midnight shift! HA HA! :)

So since I lost a day sleep...
if I want to maintain my routine sleep schedule, I learned when I was younger, that I have to just "suck it up". The day following, I just sleep enough "to get by" so that I can sleep at my normal time. Keeping that in mind, I came home at 7:30 a.m. today (after being up 30 consecutive hours), slept 3 short hours, and got up to start my day. I'll go to sleep tonight (and ready for it) and be back on my schedule. Finger's crossed....

Today I have to share...

The Flora McSample 2013 Sampler Stockings
by Lizzie Kate
copyright 2013
stitched on 32 count raw linen
using DMC

Flora McSample 2013 Sampler Stockings

and here they are on our tree:

Flora McSample Alphabet Stocking_Lizzie Kate 

Twas the Night Flora McSample_Lizzie Kate 

Noel Flora McSample Stocking_Lizzie Kate


This weekend...
we light the pink candle for the third Sunday in Advent, also known as: Gaudete Sunday, which may be translated as: Rejoice Sunday. The priest will wear rose vestments and they are gorgeous. They look similar to these:


Did you know...
that I sing in the choir at our church? This weekend we will sing as our introit (from Latin meaning: entrance) this beautiful chant:

"Gaudete in Domino semper: iterum dico, gaudete. Modestia vestra nota sit omnibus hominibus: Dominu enim prope est. Nihil solliciti sitis: sed in omni oratione petitiones vestrae innotescant apud deum. Benedixisti Domine terram tuan: avertisti captivitatem Jacob."

This may be translated as:

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice. let your forbearance be known to all, for the Lord is near at hand; have no anxiety about anything, but in all things, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God. Lord, you have blessed your land; you have turned away the captivity of Jacob." 

To hear what it sounds like... 
you may click and listen: HERE

So beautiful, isn't it? It inspires inward reflection and peace and of course since it is Gaudete Sunday ~ REJOICING! :)

I've been listening to this introit this afternoon to practice, as Latin is not my first language..(haha!) and my sons are playing their electronic games in the living room. Just now I had the introit playing and when I turned it off...they were singing it, in perfect chant cadence and Latin! If I would say something to them about it, they'd deny that they were chanting it...so I sit quietly in here and listen and smile to myself! I must have been listening to it a lot today for them to catch on :)

That does it folks for Day 13 and Day 14!

May your weekend be filled with Rejoicing!

Until Monday...
I'll be keeping my hands to work and heart to God, just like always and also trying to catch a few more Zzzz's that I lost!
love in stitches,
Vonna xxxx


20 comments:

  1. I also hate the midnight shift and I'm not fond of the 3-11 shift either, though I've worked them all. My internal clock isn't wired for working afternoons and midnights, lol. The L*K stockings are cute and look great on the tree. Your worship service sounds beautiful. I love that your boys were chanting the introit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your ornaments! I saw your IG post about your midnight shift -- you poor thing! I like your way of dealing with the lack of sleep though. Very smart! I used to be in choirs in my younger days. Had to learn to pronounce all the latin. Well I remember! I do love a good choir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The midnight shift, ahhh. I can't imagine. The stockings are just adorable. The cording really nice touch. Hope you catch up on sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dear. Talk about a mood killer to get a call from work during your holiday party. At least you made the best of your evening! Love your ornaments. They are all so awesome. Enjoy your time at church. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your stockings. My DH has worked the midnight shift for years now. Hope you get caught up on your sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The music was beautiful. I hope you get a good night's sleep so you can enjoy the choir. The little stocking ornaments are very cute. I love that series and your finish was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful stocking Vonna. Hope you got a good nights sleep and that church this morning is a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were an angel to help out at work especially with a party at your home. I know they appreciated you working.
    More darling ornaments, your tree is quite a beauty.
    Thanks for sharing the music.........it will be a lovely church service today.
    I know you will sleep good tonight getting some much needed ZZZZZZ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the translation of the chant - I felt the Holy Spirit when reading it. I just read Marly's post and the comments from everyone; I am thankful that she has much prayer and support as she goes through this "valley" in life. Love your ornies. Keep on posting. Having been in the hospital numerous times, I can assure you that the smile you put on your face during that night shift is truly felt and needed by those you care for! Blessings to you each and every day in your walk................

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh ~ I worked graveyard for a year and never adapted so I sympathize! But what a good person you are to go in for a fellow worker who is sick! Love the stocking ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband has worked shift work for many years, and has worked them all. I can sympathize. Luckily he is usually on 2nd shift these days. I love the stockings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the lizzie kate stockings and they look so cute on your tree! John works shift work and at 62 it is hard. I hate middle shift because I am home alone. I hope you caught up on your sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vonna , God bless you for being such a good sport and filling in for your coworker dinner party and all. Love the stockings and the sneak peek of your tree can't wait to see the whole tree. Your finishing is always so beautiful. I truly enjoy time and energy that you put into this endeavor each year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your stockings! I'm stitching those now on 30 count linen. I like reading your blog, I just don't get to check in as often as I would like to. I have several ornaments that just need to be put together so I'll be doing that this week. Some of them were stitched last year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for posting the sneak peek of your tree. Now I want to see every inch and every stitched ornament on the tree :)
    The LK stockings are so pretty.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I truly enjoy your blog, I need to make sure I visit more. I know what you mean about blogging sort of falling out of favor, but I enjoy the response of blogging and the relationships made as well. Your work is wonderful and I like the little vignettes of your life that you add, it makes you even more relatable. I am Catholic and I love when it is time for the pink candle in our Advent wreath and the vestments indicating that indeed, Christmas is around the corner. I am not a midnight person any more myself and I cannot imagine what it is like for those health care workers who have to juggle so much and then have that brutal schedule. UGH! Please keep sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stockings are so cute and look great on your tree. I have worked the night shift for 37 years, first I did 11p-7a then 7p-7a. But, I love working the night shift and count myself so blessed to be able to "turn myself around" when I have several days off and become a "day person"! I just can't imagine having to get up so early and being at work at 6:45am, I seriously could not function.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such darling stockings! I have that chart and it makes me wonder why I haven't stitched them yet? Oh, that's right--I am a big chicken when it comes to shaped finishes like stockings :) I hope I can get up my nerve some day soon...

    Rest up after that late night shift, Vonna--I can't imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a fabulous display of your diverse ornaments, it must be magical standing in front of your tree and looking at them all. I have never had to work any shifts other than the normal, and I can't imagine going on just 3 hours sleep. I admire anyone with such deep faith as you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel for you working a midnight shift you weren't planning on working. It is hard enough to get through those hours when you are prepared but to be called in without being able to have a nap first is rough! Thankfully you don't have to do it often. :) Your stockings look lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher