Monday, December 01, 2014

Day 1 ....

~ Greetings and warm welcome to ~


It has been a long time...
hasn't it my friends?! I've used my time this fall to recover from my surgery, care for my family and myself, support my eldest children in their weekly Cross Country Meets and to just Be. I am so very blessed! I am so very thankful! Of course I've been busy stitching and finishing for myself and others. Busy hands make for a happy heart and that is always what I strive toward ~ a happy heart.

Can you believe...
one whole year has gone by and here I am, thanks to many of you who have e-mailed me and encouraged me to do the 25 Days of Christmas with The Twisted Stitcher again. I hope to do not only the projects directed toward the season justice, but I also hope to spotlight and focus on the season and the dignity it deserves according to my faith tradition. It is a special walk that my family and I take each year, awaiting the birth of our Lord and Savior. The fun, frivolity, mirth and traditions just make it more special :)

Day One... 
Today, I have to share with you a project series that is dear and close to my heart. It is: The Calendar Girls by Little House Needleworks . I was blessed to be the model stitcher and also the model finisher for this series by Diane Williams. The series is completed this month with the debut of Miss December. There are so many options for stitching and display of these sweet little misses, let me show you the way I display my gathering of girls.

Our home is a two story home over a full basement, it has an open floor plan with cathedral ceilings in the entry and a sweet balcony overlook. When you climb up the stairs to our second floor I have my great-grandmothers bureau standing right by the balcony. I decorate it seasonally with little tidbits and greenery. My girls have taken up residence there and if you look closely when entering our home, you can see the girls peeking at you from the level above.

Little House December Girl 1

The Calendar Girl of the month...
resides on a easel, taking place of honor, while the girls waiting in the wings get corralled in a big brown ironstone bowl that was passed to us from my husband's grandparents. I add greenery to match the season we are currently in ~ this month of course evergreen boughs, some sparkly ornaments and a big gold jingle bell. Each new month the little girl of honor gets to jump out of the bowl to show off her designated month. It is sweet and simple and makes for a darling display! See Miss January patiently awaiting her turn to jump from the bowl ;)

Little House Girls in December

Yesterday (Sunday, November 30)...
marked the First Week of Advent. Advent is a holy season of "expectation" as we await and prepare the way for the coming of the infant Jesus. Advent is taken from the Latin  Ad-venire meaning "to come to". As a Catholic family we participate in the Advent Season by marking the 4 Sundays of Advent by lighting a candle each week on our Advent Wreath, saying our Advent devotional prayer each evening as a family, confessing our sins to our confessor, making reparation for the sins we have done and participating in doing good works ~ particularly of the seven corporal works of mercy (feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, clothing the naked, caring for the sick, housing the homeless, visiting the imprisoned and burying the dead). 

Our "Advent Wreath"...
isn't a "wreath" in the true sense of the word. We used to have a wreath on our table and light the respective candle(s) at dinnertime. But one year we had a mishap and I've changed our tradition to having the respective candles (3 purple and 1 pink) around our main Nativity Set. The candles are battery operated and non-flameless (note the aforementioned mishap!). Here is our Advent "Wreath":

Advent Wreath Week 1

On this First Week of Advent...
we light the first purple candle and pray:

"Heavenly Father, as we begin this Advent, give light to our eyes and peace
to our hearts. May the Lord find us watching and waiting in joy when He
comes. We pray in Jesus' name. Amen."

and may it be so!

So folks...
that does it for Day 1 of The Twisted Stitcher's 25 Days of Christmas! I hope I didn't disappoint. Tomorrow there will be a new stitch and a new tradition to share. Please come back and visit with me!

 :)

Until tomorrow...
I'll be keeping my hands to work and heart to God, just like always!
Join me!

Love in stitches,
Vonna xxxx

44 comments:

  1. You can be proud of your finishing on the Calendar girls..they look great! I'm enjoying reading about the different ways that people decorate for Advent. The wreath and candles are a mainstay but others have had to change things up like your 'mishap' and their furbabies adventures when their humans aren't looking! Thanks Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonna, I am so pleased to read that you've recovered fully from the surgery. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post to start off the season. I love your display of the calendar girls; I enjoy monthly and seasonal projects.
    Your candles and nativity set are pretty, glad the candles are battery :)
    Happy day #1. I look forward to each and every post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always I love your stitching and finishing. Look forward to the next 24 days with you and always love to hear other's Christmas traditions! Blessing to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your calendar girls are lovely and what a great way to display. Your Advent wreath surrounding your nativity is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your calendar girls!! and your idea for an advent wreath

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely way to display the Calendar Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great first post Vonna. Looking forward to no.2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Thank you, Vonna. I'll be here. Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing with us, so beautiful. Love how you displayed the Calendar Girls, so perfect. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed reading all your stories and seeing all your wonderful pictures. The Calendar Girls are a favorite of mine, too.
    You are a wonderful person, I am learning so much about finishing my cross stitch pieces from you.
    Have a wonderful day and looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a joyful way to start the day....reading your blog.I feel like I am there with you( I wish)..Can't wait to read more.....hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. The girls in the bowl are adorable, and so are you! Looking forward to checking out your blog for the next 25 days and seeing what you've come up with this year! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen! May it be so!! Your Calendar Girl display is so pretty. God has gifted you with an eye for beauty and design!! Thank you for sharing it with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Sweet Vonna - you have been missed by all of us, so it is a special treat to have you share your 25 Day of Christmas with us. I, too, love reading about the special traditions that others follow for this most special and wonderful of holidays - thank you for sharing yours.

    Your Calendar Girls are beautiful (I'm stitching them, too, but I have a long way to go to get them all stitched and finished :-)!)

    I'm so happy to read that you are recovery well and that you are busy & happy - what more can we ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet! I am glad you are well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful girls and I love how you have them displayed. So neat thinking of the next girl waiting her turn :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you again for inviting us in to your beautiful home! Vonna I love the display of the calendar girls. They are adorable! I love reading about your holiday traditions... I am looking forward to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We all have our different ways of celebrating the Advent season. I have two advent wreaths: one for the home and one for the religious education program. I enjoy starting our sessions with age appropriate advent prayers. In our parish, we also distribute the OSV advent calendars for children, for youth and for adults. Each day is marked with an activity or a scripture reading to do or contemplate for the day. My mother started a tradition when I was a child: she set up the stable on the dining room mantle and placed the figures of Mary & Joseph, the shepherds and the three kings in various places about the room. The shepherds who were "keeping watch over their sheep in the same region [as Bethlehem]" were relatively close to the stable. Mary & Joseph were further away as they made the journey from Nazareth, and the three kings further still as they traveled from Arabia or Persia. The angels and the Christ Child did not make an appearance till 12/24. The others all moved close to the stable as the weeks progressed with Mary and Joseph arriving at the stable on the Fourth Sunday of Advent and the three kings arriving on the Feast of the Epiphany. The shepherds made their visit on 12/25 and returned to their fields on 12/26 in keeping with the Gospel of Luke. It was a great way to learn the Gospel Infancy narratives which my mother read through each Sunday in Advent. Even though my children are grown, I still find myself setting up my creche on the same time table.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the first year for me to be reading your blog at Christmas and my goodness, what a thrill! I will be looking forward to this every morning. I love the warmth of your displays and the stories that go with the photo's are so heartwarming. Thanks for helping to make this such a special time of year for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing with us Vonna. Love the display of your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very sweet beginning - and look forward to following all through the month!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful start. Love the display. I think flame candles are going to be made redundant as the quality and authenticity of flameless candles is just superb.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice vonna. Looking forward to all the posts

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am truly looking forward to reading your blog (as always) each day in December. It is such a great way to start the morning. I love your calendar girls display and your many beautiful finishes. I can always count on receiving a blessing when reading your posts. You have been given a tremendous gift from the Lord through your witness. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been tolerating your absence in blogland in anticipation of your advent calendar. Your lovely bureau display foretells that we are in for another wonderful series this year. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the way you have displayed your Calendar Girls x
    Really looking forward to reading everyday.
    Love to you all
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your Calendar Girls display is lovely! Thank you for sharing your photo of your Advent candles. What a wonderful idea. I'm so looking forward to your posts this month!
    Cathy
    CraftyCat

    ReplyDelete
  29. Not only are the girl's adorable but what a beautiful bureau to display them on! Thank you for doing the days of Christmas again this year! It's always inspiring to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your calendar girls are displayed in the best place! I love that it's a piece from your grandmother. I have precious few of my grandmothers things and she died when I was young. It always makes my heart warm when someone else speaks of their grandparents - such a very special relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your home looks SO welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for inviting us into your home this holiday season. I enjoy reading and seeing others traditions at this time of year. Your calendar girls look lovely displayed in their own special area.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so Happy you are doing this again! I love those calendar girls. Your finishing is just So Perfect For Them Too

    ReplyDelete
  34. Vonna...BEAUTIFUL! Our family also brought out our Advent wreath and prayed together at our Sunday meal. I picked up a "little blue book" at Mass....it takes you day by day through Advent with prayers and suggestions for good works/etc. I think it may have been written by a Catholic bishop. With life so busy it can be hard to carve out time for a personal journey but I'm sure going to try. Lisa K

    ReplyDelete
  35. A wonderful and very thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful! Love those little calendar girls. Love this time of the year too. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your idea for the Advent "wreath"! Think I might follow our lead... :)
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am so glad you are doing this again, enjoyed it so much last year. Your stitching and finishing is beautiful. And, I love the way you do the advent wreath, such a clever (and safe) idea.

    ReplyDelete
  39. YAY! You've begun your countdown--I really look forward to each of the remaining days, Vonna, especially if they are as special as this post. I love your Great-grandmother's dresser--it is the perfect place to showcase all those calendar cuties :) I have my grandmother's tea cart which I treasure and on which I photograph 90% of my finishes!

    Happy December, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great post Vonna! The fact that you stitched their models AND finished them too, testifies to the great faith they have in your skills! Of course, we bloggers all know that you are quite talented!! Love the idea of the flameless candles for Advent! Excellent! I really do look forward to more posts like this! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love how you display your Calendar Girls. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, you never disappoint! I enjoyed your 25 Days last year and look forward to what you share this year. Your family tradition of Advent sounds so very special!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love how you are displaying the Calendar girls ! Great idea with the flameless candles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher