Saturday, December 07, 2013

Day Seven...

 
~ Greetings Friends ~
and a warm welcome to:
Day Seven
of the
25 Days of Christmas with The Twisted Stitcher

Yesterday was about giving, and today is about receiving!
I've recently received some lovelies from some friends of mine.

The first thing to share is an ornament stitched in an exchange that was held over at:
Little House Needleworks Showcase

The person that sent to me was Melissa C. and she stitched and finished gorgeously, Diane's newest ornament from the 2013 Just Cross Stitch Ornament Issue.

Isn't it just gorgeous?

Here it is fresh out of the mailbox: 
 
Melissa's Exchange Ornament

and here it is on our tree....that's a perfect fit! Thank you Melissa!

LHN Showcase exchange from Melissa on my tree

Another gift arrived in my mailbox today and it was from a friend of mine, Cindy C. from Virginia. I finish for Cindy from time to time and she always spoils me with gifts and treats. The large Angel Box in the back is just perfect to store my needlework tools over the holidays and through winter! I love it! I'm all about little boxes...and when I opened the larger box, inside was this adorable hand painted box with "PINS" on the top....I've already got it full of needles and pins :) but that wasn't all, inside the pins box was a sweet little bracelet from Bead for Life. Gorgeous!
Thank you sweet Cindy, you are a dear person and friend :)

Cindys Gift to me

It's always good to get a surprise unexpectedly!

And...
 that is exactly what happened again this morning! We woke up to about 4 inches of snow and ice. Here is the view from my office window at work this morning. It was a wintery wonderland!

Untitled

and when I got home this evening here's our deck, yep that's 10 inches, and its still snowing...

Untitled

Today my kiddos....
were visited by St. Nick, I'm sure glad he made it :)
He left each child a giant Hershey's Bar and a giant Reese's Cup and some money to put in their wishes jar.

I'd like to share with you the tradition of St. Nick, for those of you who don't celebrate it.
Taken from Wikipedia:

"The tradition of Saint Nicholas Day, on 6 December (19 December in most Orthodox countries), is a festival for children in many countries in Europe related to surviving legends of Saint Nicholas, and particularly his reputation as a bringer of gifts. The American Santa Claus, as well as the British Father Christmas, derive from these legends. "Santa Claus" is itself derived in part from the Dutch Sinterklaas.
For the United States: While feasts of Saint Nicholas are not observed nationally, cities with strong German influences like Milwaukee, Cincinnati and St. Louis celebrate St. Nick's Day on a scale similar to the German custom.[6] As in other countries, many people in the United States celebrate a separate St Nicholas Day by putting their shoes outside their bedroom doors or hanging an empty stocking by the fireplace on the evening of 5 December. St Nicholas then comes during the night. On the morning of 6 December, those people will find their shoes/stockings filled with gifts and sugary treats. Widespread adoption of the tradition has spread among the German, Polish, Belgian and Dutch communities throughout the United States. Americans who celebrate Saint Nicholas Day generally also celebrate Christmas Day (December 25) as a separate holiday. Some of the traditions and rituals of Christmas, such as leaving out a shoe or stocking to be filled, are similar to the traditions of Saint Nicholas Day."

I'd like to footnote:
that St. Nicholas Day is also a Germanic Catholic tradition, and since my husband and I are both of Germanic descent and both grew up Catholic, we both were visited by St. Nick. :) Its a lovely tradition that we have carried on in our own family and I know it will be carried on in my children's families in the future!

And that my dear friends...
is Day Seven!

Until Tomorrow....
Vonna xxxx

27 comments:

  1. A wintery wonderland for sure. We moved from KS last year to SC, so won't be seeing that view! It does give a Christmas feeling. Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful and thoughtful gifts. So nice for treasured friendships. The snow is pretty on your deck but be safe driving !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet ornament! Pretty snow ~ all we had was rain! Thanks. For sharing your traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your blog. The snow pictures are wonderful. Here in my part of Texas we just have cold weather and rain and ice . The ornament is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely gifts from friends! So special! I love that you celebrate St. Nicolas Day. A wonderful tradition. Snow -- I'm not ready. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What nice gifts! Yep, St. Nick came here. I clicked on the Milwaukee link for fun. It is my hometown. We live immediately north of it now. Kinda fun to read about "my place".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful way of finishing the ornament. Family traditions are so wonderful and you do an amazing job of keeping it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely gifts you received. BRR, looking at the snow is making me colder. ;) Thank you for sharing your family traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice tradition. The ornaments and gifts are lovely...vey special.

    Judy Heartland stitcher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cute ornament! Looks like you are having a frosty day where you live. We got about two or three inches of sleet here in central AR. It makes the roads slick and everything is cancelled around here. I'm staying inside and stitching today.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely gifts. That's a lot of snow !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely gifts for a lovely person! I love your St. Nick tradition. I wish I'd have done the same with my kiddos when they were younger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - the snow is amazing! We don't get snow like that here in NZ - but it makes everything feel like Christmas - and bursting in song with Carols! You have wonderful and treasured friends. The St Nick tradition is new to me (also Catholic) - wished I had known about it when my children were young - might adopt it when the Grandchildren arrive! Happy 2nd Sunday of Advent to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful gifts from your friends, Vonna.
    We don't celebrate St Nicolas day here, but it sounds like a lovely tradition.
    Wow, you did have a lot of snow, hope it doesn't disrupte your days too much. It does look pretty though and must make you feel all festive!!!
    Love to all
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another lovely post. Two gorgeous gifts. Great to hear about your family traditions. Stay safe in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing the story of St. Nicholas! Beautiful ornament that was gifted to you - impossible not to love every LHN ornament (well, really, every LHN everything!) and lovely gifts from your friend Cindy. Beautiful snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm enjoying your 25 days! Such lovely ornaments. St Francis on your deck (assuming it's St. F) looks a little grumpy with his heaping of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your friends were so thoughtful with their beautiful gifts, Vonna.
    The cold is just starting to reach us here followed by the snow. I don't think we will be anywhere near your amount in Indiana....

    We always celebrated St. Nicholas Day. It's such a sweet tradition that the kids always looked forward to, along with Advent Angels.

    Thanks for sharing these 25 fun days with us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such lovely gifts you received. That's alot of snow and it sure makes it look like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful gifts for you Vonna. Interesting finishing on the LHN pice ... duly noted. Wow the white stuff, not coming over here I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have seen posts about St. Nicholas Day, but now I know more! Being raised Irish Catholic, that didn't happen for us growing up! I love reading and hearing about traditions from all over! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. P.S. You received some lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your new ornament ! We are getting the snow today !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful snow! We are getting some today. Not as much as you got I don't think. :) Your new ornament is very pretty. I stitched that one also.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! It's really beautiful! The holiday season just needs....snow! Lovely ornament!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher