Thursday, December 05, 2013

Day Five...

~ Greetings Friends ~
and a warm welcome to
Day Five
of the 25 Days of Christmas with The Twisted Stitcher!
 
Today's share will help some of you maybe to cut the strings on things that you have lost interest in. And show you that you can salvage it into something usable.
 
May I present:
 
"My Peppermint Twist Ornaments"
 
PT Poinsettia
 
PT Poinsettia tree
 
PT Reindeer
 
PT Reindeer Tree
 
These ornaments are motifs from "Peppermint Twist"
designed by ~ Blue Ribbon Designs
 
I started stitching Peppermint Twist in 2009. Please remember, I am a hoarder. I have SADD (Stitching Attention Deficit Syndrome). I loved Peppermint Twist and then someone else came along and like the old song with the lyrics: "All the girls get prettier at closing time..."
Well, you catch my drift. :)
 
So...
when I was doing my craft room re-organization effort this fall, this is one of my old WIPS that got the can. But I loved the design, and I had one whole side of it done. I couldn't just (gulp!) throw it away! So what did I do? I cut out squares and sewed them into ornaments. Now look at them friends, really, if you look closely...would you have known? I don't think so! 
 
So my peeps...
there you have it! Have your fallen out of love with something? No worries! Take useable parts and make an ornament for your Christmas tree. It doesn't even have to be Christmas related. It could be a sampler and just cut out shapes, sew them, stuff them, embellish them with a bow and hanger and VIOLA you got yourself sampler tree ornaments! 
 
See how cute...
they look?! I'm glad I salvaged them :) try it on projects you've fallen out of love with. Saves guilt from tossing it and it also turns a sows ear into a silk purse!
 
Here they are...
modeled together on my mini tree....and if you look at the arrow....see the basket?
That's filled with ornaments I have stitched in the last 6 - 8 weeks waiting to be revealed over the next 20 days!
 
PT Side made into ornies
 
And that folks...
is Day Five!
 
Tune in tomorrow for *fingers crossed* a really special tutorial and sweet surprise!
There is still time (if I get it together today) that you can follow my tutorial (this coming weekend) and make some special home-made gifts...or at the very least some sweet home-made treasures for your home!
 
Until tomorrow,
as we batten down the hatches for a serious Winter Storm Warning dumping 8+ inches of snow and ice....
Vonna xxxx

42 comments:

  1. I love the bow what a cute little finish. Be safe and stay warm during this winter storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in my city we have temperatures about 40ºC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't see AT ALL how these ornaments weren't designed that way! So pretty. Thanks for sharing your secret ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a terrific idea!! Thanks so much! Stay safe in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, creative idea, Vonna.
    Hope you and your family will stay safe and warm in the upcoming storm....it's cozy stitching weather.
    Unbelievable but our temps are approaching 60 today! Oh....that won't last long as our cold is coming on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love this idea!!!! And will be doing this with some of my WIPs that I have fallen out of love with and feel guilt about not finishing, including Peppermint Twist which I have partially finished. I am so enjoying your 25 days of Christmas posts. Stay safe and warm this weekend. We are in the path of the same storm, but not expecting as much accumulation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your 'days of Christmas posts'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great plan....thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay warm and safe. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. Love the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful. Idea. Will see what I have lounging in the basket

    Love your posts

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you posted about this. When you were doing your clear up and out, I thought, Surely she won't just toss the WIPs she doesn't plan to finish. See, my fears are relieved - they're cute as pie! Look forward to seeing the new surprise, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So creative !! More lovely ornaments. Be safe in the storm. It's on it's way to Ohio too. I'm thinking stitching and Christmas baking time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super idea, Vonna! Would love more details on how you took your WIP and turned parts into ornaments. Enjoyed day 4 and today's entries.

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at Peppermint Twist design, the two ornaments that I made are out of a side of it. I just cut that side out. Cut it in half, sewed it in a square, turned it out and stuffed it. That's it!

      Delete
  15. Great idea. You are always thinking and so good at sharing. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look great! Love looking at your finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful ornaments ! So glad you didn't throw them away ! OMG can't wait to see what's in the basket ! Thanks so much for your nice comments :) Be safe with all the snow and ice !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aren't you clever! Those little motifs worked out perfectly as ornaments. I like that a lot of Blue Ribbon pattens can be done in whole or in parts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea!! I applaud you for your ingenuity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job! We are to have highs in the teens for a looooooooong time now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did you show how to make those bows once? Absolutely adorable projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't Kristen, but I can maybe pop a tutorial in my 25 days...

      Delete
  22. A very good idea indeed! Love how the ornies came out too! Good luck with the snow -- hope it's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea, they turned out wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea Vonna. I have a thing for reindeer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would have never known! I love that you've repurposed some of your "I'm out of love with you" projects. Sometimes all is not lost! Looking forward to tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea! They are beautiful and I would have thought they are just as they were meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the ornaments. Wish I had thought of that earlier this year. I actually forced myself to finally finish PT this year. Can't wait for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful idea Vonna! These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great idea, Vonna! Your ornaments are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They all look great, love the reindeer.
    Stay safe and warm
    Love Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. A fantastic idea and you really can't tell. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sharing! I've got some things I started way back in the early 90's that just might be useful after all.

    ReplyDelete
  33. My PT is finished and on display for Christmas, but what a great idea to make ornaments out of the small squares. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great idea! I'll have to consider this with some of my projects that I don't really love anymore. Thanks for sharing this. I'm really enjoying your Christmas posts.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for sharing this terrific idea. The winter storm weather is the perfect excuse for cozying up to a weekend of stitching. So fun! Throw in some hot cider and fresh cookies out of the oven. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Keep warm and safe during the storm

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such sweet finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Now who would of thought of doing that ... only you Vonna.:) Lovely ornaments. Oh that basket ... more loveliness to come .... Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dang! Why I didn't think of that when I went through some older WIPs that got tossed...bummer! But... NOW I know! Thanks for sharing! These 25 days are fun! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher