Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Stirring my cauldron...

~ ~ Fall Greetings ~ ~
to one and all on this fine day!

I've been busy again...
and came to share with you, my friends and fellow needleworkers. A couple of weeks ago, I was going through my blog list and went to visit Notforgotten Farm  and it's proprietress, Miss Lori,  to see what goodness she had been up to. I was pleasantly surprised to find that she had so generously prepared a "Happy Halloween" freebie for all of us! I got to reading and lo and behold that was not all she had prepared for us!

No...
in fact, she was challenging us to a finishing contest. Stitch the freebie design she provided and send a picture of your finish to be entered into a contest for a $50.00 gift certificate to her Etsy store!

Well...
I can never pass up a good challenge, so I started thinking right away, how would I stitch it, but ultimately how did I want to finish it?

So...
one sleepless night thinking and dreaming about finishes.

and many stitches later....I came up with a viable idea!

May I present...

"Happy Halloween"

freebie design by: Notforgotten Farm ~ Lori Brechlin
you may find the design: HERE
I stitched my design on: 40 ct. Sugared Coffee linen by Sassy's Fabbys
using Crescent Colours: Blackbird and Colonial Copper
 
 
Notforgotten Farm Halloween Freebie 1

and...
my sleepless night thinking about a finish turned in to this:


Notforgotten Farm Freebie 4

I stitched my design in two colors because...
I love bittersweet and the little vine around the two sides reminded me of bittersweet...and who can resist a big, round, orange jack? Not me!
Mounted on a sweet little paper mache witches' hat that I spray painted and dolled up with a black feather boa for a hat-band and a big orange bow and...


Notforgotten Farm Hallowen Freebie

A teeny tiny witches broom...
 that I made myself using things I found in our yard:
a slightly curved twig from our big old Oak tree and some Pompass grass fronds. The fronds, I hot glued and bound with black thread, then trimmed up the bottoms, to look like an old cornstalk broom. I can just imagine an old hag would use this to fly around on All Hallow's Eve Night!


And just a bit...
of that bittersweet I love, to jazz up the brim of the hat!

Then I propped it up...
right against our hearth by my Prairie Schooler "When Witches Go Riding"....

Notforgotten Farm Halloween Freebie 2

And...
me thinks that's a pretty effective display!

I hope you like it too...
and that it will get your finishing wheels grinding to join in the fun over at the Farm!

Until next time...
I'll be scaring up more trouble! While I keep my hands to work and my heart to God, just like always!

Love in stitches,
Vonna xxx

55 comments:

  1. Vonna -- A super cute finish! Love how your creative mind thinks! I hope you win the challenge:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute Vonna. You have such a great eye for color and design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so amazing!!! Definitely the winner in my book!

    You are so creative and so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice embroderie and a perfect finish. I like it.
    Greatings, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you're always a winner - love the finishing. All your Hallow treats are really great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Gosh - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous , Vonna !! You are such the queen of finishes , and of course beautiful perfect stitching !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure wouldn't want to compete against you in a finishing contest! That is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, I love it! Your creativity is amazing! That teeny tiny broom is awesome as well as the hat, but especially your stitching and color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome display. Gosh, I just love it all. Your Halloween stitchery looks fab on the 40ct. Sweet and small.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, Vonna!! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too adorable for words!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative, Vonna! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice, all of it. And thank you so much for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it Vonna! Very nice finish. You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have started to stitch this adorable pattern I hope mine looks as sweet as yours.
    Happy Halloween, or may I say Happy all Saints Day.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vonna, you are certainly the Queen of finishing. That is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Halloween ornament turned out Beautiful! Good luck to you for Ms. Lori's contest:)
    love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  20. You come up with the most creative finishes! I absolutely love your presentation. Wonderful job! Happy haunting! Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vonna, you are one of the most creative women I know. I LOVE this finish, what a wonderful piece of art! Happy haunting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what you did with the design! It's wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute cute cute! Great job Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Do you have some creativity you can spare? I'm voting for your freebie to win.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful finish Vonna! You are on a roll! Love your creativity on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it Vonna!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Like it??? I love it! Wow, you are beyond clever. :-)

    Mailed you a little something today, should arrive Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A gorgeous finish. I love how you finished it.

    ReplyDelete

  29. It's great, wonderful, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great finish.I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is SO beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's gorgeous! I love your finish and how you paired it up with The Prairie Schooler project. I always enjoy seeing your finishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your stitching and finishing is just amazing. So is your decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So creative and BOOtiful, Vonna. Best of luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a darling finish, Vonna!! You are so creative and I love your little display. I still think that "When Witches Go Riding" finish of yours is my favorite finish ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a creative finish!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Vonna, this is soo cute! Great idea! And so creative! :o)

    Cathi

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is so cute. Decorating for Halloween is just so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Vonna, you are amazing. How do you think of this stuff. It is absolutely beautiful. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  40. Vonna, How do you think of these things? You are amazing as is the finishing. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW........how neat is that !! You are so creative, I like that you used some things from your yard too. What a great finish !! I can't wait to see what you post next.

    ReplyDelete
  42. A fantastic finish, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. *squee* That is the sweetest, most clever finishing, Vonna! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ooooh, I love what you did with the cross stitch and witches hat!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Vonna, that's just so cool! What a great idea. Your finishing is spectacular as always. It was great to see you PS again too as it is simply amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Simply awesome! Thanks for sharing another creative finish.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  47. Vonna I just adore your cute finish! What a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Nice one Vonna, congrats ~ your vision for Lori's design is wonderful, good luck in her contest!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I had just pinned that freebie and then saw your finish and had to "pin" it too! So darling and I still don't know how creative minds like yours work. I'm glad I can see what others do so I might be able to duplicate it somehow.....but then I never do! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  50. Very cute finish, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is a winner for sure Vonna. I just love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  52. WOW! You've really outdone yourself Vonna! This is gorgeous! :D Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  53. As far as I'm concerned, you're the winner, hands down!! This is such a fabulous arrangement! I had downloaded the pattern for Lori's design but just haven't had the time to get to it. Good luck, I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher