Monday, January 10, 2011

A couple of New Year Finishes....

A very warm...
Happy New Year to all my friends and readers from a very frigid Indiana! 2011 was ushered into existence and the race has been on for the Pfeiffer clan ever since....there is no rest for the wicked and I must be really and truly wicked because I've been going like the energizer bunny ever since the fireworks on January 31st :)

New Year's Eve...
found me busily stitching, not what I had planned and kitted up to stitch, rather an emergency request went out for quilt squares for a very sick little boy at Love Quilts . So I volunteered to be a stitcher of one square for his quilt and was granted the request. Although I didn't start the New Year off stitching something I had wanted to stitch, somehow I feel that I was blessed to stitch and send a square to someone in need especially an innocent little boy struggling in illness. Here's my contribution to Kirin's Quilt:

Kirin's Quilt Square for Love Quilts

"The Dog House Sampler"
Designed by: Little House Needleworks ~ Diane Williams
Stitched with DMC on 14 ct. white Aida
Stitched with love for Kirin at Love Quilts

And...
I also threw my hat in the ring for a Inspirational Verse quilt square and stitched this:

CK Inspirational Verses Quilt Square for Love Quilts

"Tree of Life"
Design taken from the Scripture Thread Pack Collaboration Series
by Crescent Colours and Little House Needleworks
Stitched with love using DMC on 14 ct. white Aida

As you can see...
I always turn to my very extensive stash from Little House Needleworks to find the perfect design for the squares I stitch and have never been disappointed. Diane's designs hold the simple perfection to compliment many themes at Love Quilts and I don't have to go buy a pattern, because I own all of them already :)

You'll be seeing...
more quilt squares stitched by me in the very near future, I've got three more going. It seems that when I read the stories of these sweet, very ill children, I cannot think of not stitching something for them. Maybe its just a little way of giving back for all the many blessings and health given to me in my four children. I'm so thankful and very, very blessed...so I'll stitch some more squares for kids, hoping to bring a smile to their face in some small way.

I probably....
won't be back for awhile, as I'm not knocking out my stitching as fast as I would like....ain't that the way? But when I do come back, I'll be a chatty Cathy keeping you up to date on the stitching and happenings around here :)

Condolences...
go out to the residents of Tucson, Arizona. The horrendous happenings there over the weekend and the senseless loss of life and violence used against innocent people....well, words cannot explain my feelings. My family and I are praying. Praying for the people in Arizona and praying for all people across the United States of America. It's time to take a good, long, hard look at ourselves. Anger has polarized our nation and it has imprisoned us all. Its everywhere...it is amazing to me, just driving my kids to their extracurricular activities, or driving around doing errands - just the simple act of driving -  brings out this ugliness and anger in some people. Driving is one thing, but it certainly isn't the only thing that brings this ugliness out...it's everywhere it seems: on-line, in check out lanes at the grocery store, at libraries, on the phone, in the school....everyone has a smart mouth, a quick retort and is always right. Yes, it seems to me that we all need to take a long, hard look at ourselves -  me and mine included. Nothing can be corrected until we learn simple, basic manners and correct ourselves. It seems to me that a lot folks have either forgotten or refuse to use the good manners that our parents instilled in us. It's gotta start somewhere and I think that its a time for a "back to basics" approach. Showing respect to ourselves and taking that respect and kindness to others in public, is a start that I think would be a huge change. Baby steps put forth by all, can amount to a big leap. I am and have challenged myself and my children to think of others, to think before we speak (or type) and to think before we act. I can only hope that perhaps my children's generation will do a better job than my generation. May it be so.

Until next time...
I thank YOU for your visits and your lovely well wishes and comments to me and my dear family, they are so much fun and bring so much joy to my life. Thank YOU for being you and visiting with me! And until we visit again, I'll be keeping my hands to work and heart to God!

hugs and much love,
Signature

60 comments:

  1. such sweet quilt squares, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt squares are so sweet. What a wonderful project to be involved in. I totally agree with you about returning to a more civilized manner of living, being polite, respectful, and much less selfish and self-centered. And I do believe that one person can make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very right you are -- be the change you want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your squares come out beautiful!
    Take care & keep stitching,
    Bisxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do seem to find just the right patterns for those LQ squares. And even better that that they are all in your stash already.

    Those 2 are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous finishes for such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vonna --
    Your quilt squares are so pretty and it's so heartwarming that you took the time of out of your very busy schedule to stitch for others. A true inspiration.

    I so agree with you on "getting back to basics" Here's to a brighter tomorrow:))))

    Happy New Year to you and your family and I hope you come back soon. I always love it when I see a new post from you.

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you about the anger everywhere. It's sad and terrible. And to have to have something happen to make people see is a sad thing. I just hope people do stop and think.

    I love your quilt squares. You are so sweet to be doing these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Vonna you truly have a heart of gold for stitching a square for the ill child! God bless you...BLESS YOU for doing this heartfelt deed. You are indeed an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Hi Von,
    What a wonderful post. I like you are praying for the families in AZ. Loved your quilt squares they really turned out great.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely stated Vonna. I, too am in shock over the ugliness in today's society. You are so right in stating that it starts within each of us. Tolerance and understanding are so important. Thank you for the reflection.
    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet of you to stitch the squares for the quilt. I'm sure they will be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your squares, Vonna, they are just perfect, the kids will love them...you are so sweet to be doing this and I am awed by your generous heart with all that you have going on. You are living up to the words "Be the change that you want to see in the world," and are a great reminder to me that there are still good people in this world.
    Hugs
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quilt squares are beautiful, and for such a good cause

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vonna,
    You are so right. I thought of tons to say to show how I agree with you...but I will again just say "You are so right".

    You have such a good heart!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although I am not in the Tucson area, all of us in Arizona feel for the families involved in the horrific shooting. Thank you for saying what I know so many really fel...we need to care about ourselves and each other everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vonna - the squares that you made are just so sweet. Such a wonderful project to be involved in. You can imagine the smiles on the faces of the recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt blocks! What a rewarding way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Vonna - You have such a sweet heart - and what a good example you're setting for the "littles" who live at your home.
    May we all take your words to heart and apply them in our everyday lives.
    Be blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your squares are so sweet! What a wonderful thing to do for others.

    Your words of wisdom are so true! I think we can all use reminding every now and then. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Darling squares and I couldn't agree with you more on our society. I have been harping for awhile now on how I believe that lack of respect for ourselves, our property and others is the root of all that is wrong these days. My kids get a little tired of hear my rant. Oh well, at least they mostly show respect, but I don't think they respect themselves enough.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt squares are so lovely, I am sure they will bring a smile to the children's faces.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The quilt squares are perfect, what a great cause, Bless you!!
    Let there be Peace!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I couldn't agree more with what you said. I, too, will be making some changes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year to YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful quilt squares Vonna! You are right LHN do make the most perfect designs for charity stitching.
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your quilt squares are wonderful, Vonna, and I'm sure they'll be well loved by the children and their families.

    We were just talking about the lack of respect and manners and general kindness at work today. Believe me, we see all sorts of things working with the public at the library. I have always tried to instill kindness toward others in my sons--it makes such a difference in how you make others feel--and, in how you feel about yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful, beautiful squares Vonna! Two people will be so blessed by them and I can tell that you were blessed by stitching them! I'll be praying for that little boy and the person the quilt is meant for as well. Thanks for sharing with us, Vonna! Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  29. The quilt squares for the little ones are just beautiful!

    You are such a sweet lady Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What cutie-patootie squares! Perfect for your LQ projects, as you said. LHN designs are delightful! I have quite a stash, tho I cannot say I own them all! Bless you for stitching for LQ. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love, love, love your love quilt squares. They are just beautiful. I am sure they will be appreciated.

    You are so right about the anger out there. My hear too goes out to those who are affected by the tragedy in Arizona.

    I hope you done't atay away too long.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your quilt squares are so sweet! Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely quilt squares and what a wonderful use they are getting.
    Take care my friend. Sending warm hugs

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Quilt squares are wonderful !!!
    And-
    I agree - A little bit of kindness & appropriateness of behavior goes a long way :)

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cute stitching Vonna! I am glad you were able to stitch a square for the boy, that is so nice.

    Well said about being more polite to each other, I couldn't agree more.

    Happy New Year to you and your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely stitching.

    Resepct and kindness doesn't cost anything and should be our foremost characteristic

    ReplyDelete
  37. These squares are very beautiful. Loving them. And so good of you to participate in such things.
    And I agree completely with you with what you're saying. Something we try to live up to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oi Vonna.
    Compartilho com você o mesmo sentimento pelo Love Quilt.
    Eu participo do Projeto Love Quilt Brasil.
    Seus Quadradinhos ficaram lindo!
    Abraços...
    Cintia

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your quilt squares Vonna and even more so for the fact that they're for such a worthy cause.
    I'm in agreement with you on the lack of respect and manners. This is what I refer to as the "me" generation. That's all that a lot of them seem to be concerned with.
    Let's hope things can turn around.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful quilt squares Vonna.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the quilt squares - it's such a great cause. I'm sure they will be much appreciated.

    What a great post. So many people are talking about 'getting back to basics', let's hope it starts now.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Vonna, I loved your choice for Kirin's quilt. It is so cute. I so agree with you about LHN charts. Diane has a real gift. I wish you and yours many blessings in 2011. Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love your quilt squares Vonna!
    I agree with you 100% on how people need to get back to basics.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Vonna, you always touch my heart. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  45. You said it all Vonna. This world has become a scary place. I just hope I can teach my daughter to be careful and turn out to be a decent, loving person and not what so many people have become.( Violent, angry, negative) Ilove the quilt squares and I am a LHN fan. You inspire to stitch more.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love your quilt squares! What a generous thing to do and I'm sure they will be much appreciated.
    I totally agree with you about the lack of respect and kindness in our world today.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Greetings to you and yours for the New Year.
    The squares are wonderful.
    Your words were so well said...My thoughts and Prayers for all of those folks down in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh Vonna, these quilt squares are so charming! Thanks for having a big heart and stitching them. I know your needle will be busy, because that is who you are and continue to be.

    It is heartbreaking to see all of the anger and outlashing of that anger, all over....you are right though, even the tiniest baby step can make a huge difference, if others take those steps with us.

    hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your squares are perfect! Thank you for introducing me to the cause. I am finishing up my first block to get out in the mail next week. I used to work with special needs children & am no longer able, but this way I can still help them. Such a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I lurk a bit on your journal, and I wanted to say that your thoughts on Tuscon are right on. I am going to make sure I too amp down the anger.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love your stitching and your finishing is awesome. Your blog is such a joy to visit. Thanks for visiting me, I appreciate it so much. Have a great weekend.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love the quilt squares!! I am sure the people that receive the quilts will be so blessed!!! You are such a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love the squares you stitched up. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love the Tree of Life...I may have to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Great quilt squares, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  56. I've really missed you, friend! I keep up with your blog all the time even though I'm not the best commenter. I love your charity squares and have loved seeing all over blogland that "oh this was finished by Vonna at the Twisted Stitcher". Love it! Come visit sometime. I have a Birthday giveaway going on until Wednesday. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Beautiful stitching on the LQ squares, I've stitched a few for the UK LQ group. It's something I really love doing.
    Hope to see more square and other stitching soon, Vonna. Love visiting your blog

    ReplyDelete
  58. I came across your site doing a google search on cross stitching!

    Beautiful work!

    Also, come to read further, my daughter and SIL also live in Bloomington-they moved there in Oct. Quite a change in scenery for them from Tucson, AZ :-)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi Vonna! Just stopping by to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Lovely squares, Vonna! I'm trying to finish up one and then I'm off to choose a new pattern. Deadlines are hard for me, so I'm just kinda picking a pattern I like and sending them in right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher