Thursday, May 27, 2010

Life is like a box of chocolates....

Hello my dear friends and readers.....
I thought I had better fly in to let you know we are all still kicking...I've not crossed a single stitch in days, no make that weeks and with the following rendition in pictures and words, you'll see why.....

This young man....
celebrated his 40th birthday at the beginning of May. In my opinion, he's like fine wine and age only improves him. Keith, my love, here's a toast to many more years of health, happiness and putting up with me. Plus, look on the bright side, "vintage" is hot and 40 is the new 20.

My husband Keith and our daughter Katie

And not only have we had birthdays....
but since April we've had: our 14th wedding anniversary, Keith was on business travel for a week, Katie dislocated and fractured her finger (which resulted in endless X-rays, CAT scans, Doctor Appointments, etc). We've had baseball practices and games to attend, Tae Kwon Do tests to pass, school carnivals to help organize, end of year Staff Appreciation Luncheons to host, Talent Shows to practice for and attend, a 6th grade Graduation Picnic to throw, a Graduation Reception to plan and decorate for and finally a 6th Grade Graduation Commencement Ceremony to enjoy. But even though the past 8 weeks, I've met myself coming and going....the past 24 hours have made all the hectic, hellish days of ups and downs worth every step and every minute. I'll share with you why....

Our Daughter....
Katie graduated last evening on May 26, 2010 from Summit Elementary School. She now will move on to Batchelor Junior High School and is officially a 7th grader. Knowing that this "big day" was coming, we searched high and low for the perfect dress for this occasion. During Spring Break in March, we walked into a store in our local mall and the very first dress we saw we knew was "the" perfect dress. She tried it on and it was true. Here she is prior to the Ceremony:


Katie said "yes" to the dress

With much anticipation....
the families awaited the arrival of the young, fresh faces of the graduates - the future class of 2016. Finally, the time arrived and they marched in to take their places. Katie had been on pins and needles all week. She was so excited to be graduating from elementary school and the night before the graduation day, she said to me as I was tucking her into bed, "I just wish it would hurry up and get here!" How many times in my life I've felt the same way....


March of the Graduates

Academic Awards....
were announced and passed out. Katie was the recipient of High Honor Roll 4.0 GPA, The President's Award of Academic Success but the best award of all....the one that made Mama cry and Daddy's heart to swell with pride (O.K. Mama's heart is swollen too).....was that my sweet girl was awarded the "6th Grade Exemplary Girl Student Award". This award is given to one boy and one girl in the graduating 6th grade class. It is voted on by all the students in the class, all the teachers in the school and also the school principals. And although I know in my heart that my daughter is exemplary, to know that others know it too, makes me cry and fills me with pride. Here she is shown with the Boy Exemplary Student. They received Award plaques engraved with their names stating them as the Exemplary Students of 2010 and you'll see that one of the teachers is holding up a plaque explaining that each student will have their name engraved on the large plaque that is displayed in the front award case in the school with all the previous Exemplary Students.

Exemplary Students
In this day and age....
it seems that academics sometimes isn't the goal that many parents push for excellence in their children nor is it necessarily recognized in the public arena. I mean...have you read in the paper or heard on the news anything positive about education? Lots of funding at the national level is being cut on education which has slowly filtered down to the state level. Our state is seeing monumental cuts in educational funding. Teachers are being cut from our school district...but coaches are not. Regardless, my husband and I have always stood firm with our children on one thing, that we all have to work and work hard to make a living. Daddy goes to work, Mama works at home to support Daddy in his efforts outside the home and our children's "job" is to go to school, work hard and get good grades. Every morning I tell them as we walk to school, that they are "To be a friend to all and enemy to none" and that " we are Pfeiffers and Pfeiffers excel"....and so they do now and so they will in the future. I am proud of all my children, but today this post is for Katie and for her accomplishments.
In life....
there are certain necessities. The ones that we teach our children to seek are: Faith, Family and Friends....
Friends

Give Honor....
to your elders, seek righteousness, be an upstanding citizen, be firm in your beliefs and always be willing to learn from others.....

Katie and her 6th Grade Teacher, Mrs. Ambrose
And....
you know what? I think that it is working, because as Keith and I were congratulated on Katie's success last night by all the teachers she's had past and present one summed it wonderfully when he said, "Katie embodies the award. There was no question - she was the exemplary student."
What else....
can I say? God blessed us mightily the day our little girl was born. I am proud to be her mother and I thank God for her. And although I'm an imperfect human being and I've made many miscalculations, missteps and mistakes as a parent....I may be doing a few good things for our daughter and her siblings. I truly take this responsibility as a parent very seriously and frequently feel I'm screwing up the works. But last night, the rewards of my efforts and those of my husband was so sweet.
Katie knows....
that family is important and so are little sisters, even if they do mess up your room, ruin your lip gloss, bother you and want to hang out with you and your friends when they come over to visit....
Sisters...
But the best thing Katie knows....
is that her future is bright, she has success within her reach, her family is here to support her and that her Mama is not only her biggest fan, but she would do anything to help her attain her goals. And as we went through our bedtime ritual last night, she looked up at me with her big blue eyes and said, "Mama, my heart is full of pride".....and Mama's heart is full of pride too, Katie, it's full of pride too. I love you my sweet, sweet girl!

Our Young Lady, Miss Katie


Thank you....
my dear friends for sticking with me through this long story. Thank you for your visits. Thank you for indulging me in my pride for our daughter. The road of life is traveled with many mountain peaks to conquer and many valleys to pass through. Last evening we reached a summit of a mountain together, and I know there will be valleys yet to travel, but also many more peaks yet to attain....however doing it together as a family makes the burden lighter and the joy greater.
Until next time....
I'll be putting my "Hands to work and heart to God".
Love and hugs,
Signature
P.S. And as for the title....Forrest had it right, didn't he? Life IS like a box of chocolates and you never know what you're going to get. But I tell you what....I got caramel...pure caramel!

88 comments:

  1. Oh what beautiful words!
    Katie you looked absolutley gorgeous in your dress and congratulations on your achievements.
    Good luck in your passage through Junior High and I will look forward to hearing about your achievements from your Mum as time goes by.
    Best wishes
    LISA V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that my eyes filled with tears when I read about Katie's award. How wonderful! My boyfriend's daughter is graduating from 5th grade in two weeks and will be attending middle school next year and she is the same kind of girl, always helping in school and whatnot. Katie is growing up to be a beautiful and caring young woman it seems, which we don't seem to find too often in today's youth. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Vonna - congratulations! To your daughter for her wonderful achievement and to you and your husband for doing such a wonderful job! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be proud ... all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post Vonna! Congratulations to Katie - she looks so pretty in her gorgeous dress - and good luck to her in Junior High. You should all be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure is nice to reap what you sow! Congratulations to Katie (she looked so pretty) and to her parents too. These achievements and the hard work attitude don't just happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pass the tissues over here, too! You have every right to be bursting your buttons with pride, Vonna. What a sweet, wonderful, smart girl Katie is. It's very easy to be led astray today; it's nice to see our kids take on what we hope & dream for them and flourish with it. I always tell my kids, as a wise woman always says (Judge Judy, of course! :D), "Beauty fades, dumb is forever.". We encourage them to do well in school, work hard, and they will reap the benefits the rest of their lives.

    Happy birthday to Keith, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Katie. She looks so beautiful in that dress. You must be so proud of her and all of her accomplishments. She's the spittin' image of her Mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to the father, and congratulations to the daughter! You must be so proud of Katie! It's wonderful that she won these awards -- sounds like you're bringing her up right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you are oh so proud of your beautiful Katie~~~ I enjoyed the story and you have reason to be proud~~~ Enjoy every moment!! Faye

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to Katie! She has accomplished so much so far and will surely continue to do so in the years to come. You and your family have every right to be very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made me cry Vonna. You're lucky to have such a wonderful daughter (and the other 3 children too), but I think they are more luckly to have you as a mom. All of you have reason to be very proud. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:01 AM

    Von and Katie,
    You two make me so proud! I can tell that Katie is going to have the strength and determination as her mother has had all these years. She is your "best friend" as you Von are my "best friend"! Us girls have to stick together...I am so proud of you guys and Katie you look so grown up and beautiful in you graduation dress. Enjoy your summer...and keep that beautiful smile always.
    Love, MeMe

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in tears now. This post is simply beautiful.Congratulations to Katie and to you as well. Off course you need to make a post like this... if your girl is a joy, show her and be proud of be her mom. Best wishes, Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow HAPPY BIRTHDAY Keith, Katie congratulations on your graduation, and your award. How proud your family must be, you are a very lovely young lady.
    Stitching can take a back seat to all that you have done Vonna, we look forward to pictures of your stitching and of course more news of your family.
    Thank-you for sharing.
    Peace to you and your family
    God Bless America and all who protect her.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful post. congratulations to Katie and to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I think I am busy, I will just think of you! Congrats to Katie on her excellent award! Isn't it terrible that our schools are in such bad financial situations now? Our recent levy did not pass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful way to start my day - reading your beautiful post and tribute to your daughter! SO happy for you, Katie and your wonderful family! Celebrate this weekend and enjoy the summer!! Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely post, you have every right to be proud of your daughter! On a side note, is it not scary how fast they grow up? My eldest is entering 8th grade this fall (also top of her class--small mama brag). Soon enough enough we'll be the parents of college students...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful post! You should be so proud of your daughter and the young lady she is becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Katie is so smart and pretty and mature, and the dress suits her perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Katie is so smart and pretty and mature, and the dress suits her perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful post Vonna! Congratulations to Katie for her awesome achievements. She will go on to do great things! Happy belated Birthday to Keith and Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sure looks and sounds like you have every right to be proud of Katie. And proud of yourself too. Congratulations to Katie on winning such a wonderful award.
    Vonna, your tribute to Katie is just beautiful. I hope you print it for Katie. It is something I know I would treasure if my Mom wrote that about me.

    A belated Happy Anniversary to you and Keith and a Happy Birthday to him too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Katie! All of your hard work was rewarded! Now keep it up sweetie. . . . .you still have a long way to go! Hugs to you Vonna. I know just how proud you are!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Katie, you are one special gal! Hard work really does pay off. You are so blessed to have parents that love you and teach you correct principles. You have the world at your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Vonna
    I was moved when I got to the end of the post. You ans your family truly are in the right path. Congrats to Katie for the good work and if all of you keep on this beatiful road you are in, all the kids will be a success.
    Hugs

    P.S. Happy birthday to Keith and a special congrats for another year of a beatiful marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a nice post!! Congratulations to Katie. You have every reason to be proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations to Katie and to her proud parents! What a testimony! My heart swelled with pride for you!

    I remember once telling my minister about the good things happening to my son and he told me that it was God's way of blessing us. Your daughter is a true blessing to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Katie looks fabulous in her dress! I know you are proud of her! I'm so proud of my Jacob too, he graduates an Honor Graduate with cords and medals, (he'd have a white drape too if he'd didn't get into trouble knitting during school!) to get the drape too you have to have no disturbances(well knitting I guess is a disturbance! lol
    Katie will go far! She's bright just like her Momma and Daddy!
    Hugs,
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations Katie on your wonderful achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a sweet post! Huge congrats to your daughter and you and your DH :-).

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations to all of you. Your daughter is a reflection of all that she has been taught. You have done well!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations to Katie for all her hard work! You look beautiful! Congratulations to you guys, you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a lovely, intelligent, and caring daughter you are raising, Vonna... Be proud of Katie, but also of you and your husband--you're obviously doing things right :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful post, Vonna! Thank you for sharing congratulations to you and your family and especially to Katie!
    :) Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  37. Vonna,
    Your beautiful post brought "mom tears" to my eyes. What a wonderful family you have and what a wonderful mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Vonna, you seriously made me tear up reading this about Katie. She is an amazing girl, and you and your husband have helped her become who she is. You have a lot to be proud of! You need to pat yourself on the back too, she wouldn’t have come all of this way without you and your hubby :)

    And I have to add, her dress is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a lovely post Vonna and a pleasure to read :-) Big, Big congratulations to your daughter and to you and your husband for doing a wonderful job!
    We have a hard job a parents, and kids don't always see us as being on there side, especially teenagers, but they do realise eventually all the things we tell them were right, Stevie thinks i'm a nag most of the time but i always end with telling her i'm on her side and i want her to to the best she can do!

    Enjoy your proud mum moment, you deserve it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a wonderful post Vonna! Your daughter is absolutely outstanding. What a wonderful award for her to receive. And you know who she has to thank for that - you - you and your husband - for instilling the values of life that so many people these days to not take the time to instill in their children. For being involved in the things she does and for watching that she walks along the right path. A monumental day for your daughter, but also one for you too! Congratulations to all of you.

    BTW, there are a couple tears in the corners of my eyes! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. When did Katie grow up? Wow, she is so lovely in her graduation photos (pretty dress) and what an honor to be voted the best girl student by your peers and teachers. Totally awesome. You are just busting with pride. : )

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, lots of things to celebrate. You must be so proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a wonderful tribute Vonna! I was filling up with tears while reading it . Your daughter looked beautiful in that dress! How lovely . We have another month to go for my two children and then my daughter will have the busiest month of June with her gr8 grad June 28th . All the best to a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a wonderful time for you and your family! Congratulations, Vonna! What a blessing to read about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh I'm so happy for you!! Congratulations to your wonderful daughter - and to you, for raising her!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a wonderful post!! Congratulations to Katie and to you for raising such a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Katie looked beautiful and the dress is lovely. You and your husband must be so proud. I loved reading your post. I am looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful stitching. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  49. Vonna, what a beautiful sweet daughter you are raising. Values are so important and you should be very proud of her but even better, she is proud to have you as her momma. Love the dress and yes, the blue eyes. Raising children is hard work but raising children with family values is even harder! Great job! Hang in there even tho I know you are busy! It is appreciated and will come back seven fold to you! hugs, pam

    ReplyDelete
  50. Happy Birthday to your husband, and Happy Anniversary to the both of you!

    What a lovely tribute to Katie! Congratulations to her for all her much deserved awards. I know she will have a very successful year as a 7th grader. She looks gorgeous in her graduation dress!

    You have every right to be proud of each and every member of your family Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I loved your post! Congratulations to Katie on her huge accomplishments! She looks so beautiful in her dress, wonderful choice.

    You and Keith should be very proud...So much of who are children are comes from who we teach them to be ~ good job Vonna!

    Happy B-Day to Keith (handsome at 40!) and happy anniversary to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Congratulations Katie and to you and Keith too Vonna. It isn't easy being mom and dad in this day and time either and it looks like you guys are doing a great job. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous8:03 PM

    Congratulations to Katie on her graduation and congratulations to you and your husband for instilling Katie (and your other children) with a great value system!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  54. Congratulations to Katie on your graduation and all your accomplishments!
    I got all teary eyed reading this, knowing full well, how a Mama feels when her babies do so well.
    Congratulations to all of your family, without each other, these accomplishments would never happen!

    ReplyDelete
  55. WOW I just finished reading your post, have tears in my eyes and just want to say AMEN and thank you for sharing such a happy tale!!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  56. I enjoyed reading every bit of it! Thanks for sharing your special day with us! Congrats to Katie, Keith and you Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Congratulations to you all especially Katie on her achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I'm welling up over my morning coffee as I read about your truly special daughter. The values you have instilled in her are the most precious gifts you could ever give her. I'm so glad to know that there are people like Katie (and you) in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Wow, you really have been busy! Congratulations to Katie! She is obviously a very special young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Congrats to your beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Okay so now I'm sniffling here too!
    Vonna this is a beautiful post.
    Katie, congratulations! You are a very lovely young lady and that pretty dress shows it off so well. It's a refreshing change to see such a caring young woman.
    Vonna, you and Keith must be bursting with pride!
    Speaking of Keith, a belated Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Vonna,

    A big shout out here for Katie and her accomplishments thus far.

    It's wonderful to see how you beautiful family is growing and how each of your children is blossoming into the young person that God has meant them to be.

    Congratulations on EVERYTHING and big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Please relay my well wishes and congratulations to Katie! I'd say Katie's Mom, Dad, brothers, and sister deserve a pat on the back as well. I'm sure all of you have contributed to Katie's well-deserved honors and accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  64. What a lovely post, Vonna! You and Keith have obviously done a wonderful job as parents, and you have every right to be proud of Katie.

    I especially agree with your comments about all the kudos being given to athletes, and nobody pays any attention to the children that deserve our praise, and are wonderful role models to younger siblings.

    Happy belated birthday to your DH, too!

    {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  65. Congratulations to Katie!
    What a lovely tribute to her you have posted.
    You and Keith have every reason to be proud of such a wonderful child!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Congratulations to Katie! Mom and Dad, brothers and sister too!
    What a fine young woman you have!

    Best wishes Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  67. You are truly blessed. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  68. What a lovely post Vonna.

    You and your husband have every reason to be very proud of your wonderful daughter. She in turn has every reason to be proud of her fabulous mom and dad who made her what she is today.

    Congratulations on such wonderful achievements. Katie you look stunning in your gorgeous dress.

    Also congrats to your DH on his big 40.

    ReplyDelete
  69. What a wonderful thing to share with us. You and your husband should be very proud! Hearty congratulations to Katie and all her hard work and continued success for the future!

    Happy Birthday to your husband.

    Thanks again for sharing! Your blog ALWAYS brings a smile to my face! I love visiting with you.

    ReplyDelete
  70. You have done a wonderful job with Katie and all your children. You have such a great philosophy and it's a shame that more families don't have that, the world would be such a better place. I can only hope that I can do as great a job with my children as you are doing with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Congratulations to Ms. Katie ... I love her dress. Hurray for smart girls who work hard at school :)

    ReplyDelete
  72. You got sweet perfection. What a special child you have. The boys and Ellie have big shoes to follow.

    Congrats to Katie and to Mom and Dad. You played a big part in what she is becoming.

    Glad you shared that the joy with us.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Anonymous7:02 AM

    Congratulations all around! Katie is setting a good example for her siblings and you have every right to be proud of her.
    Enjoy the moment!
    Cindy in NE Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  74. What a wonderful post.I can tell through reading this post ( and throughout your blog) you are all so, so proud of Katie and her achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Your Katie is a beauty! And from the sounds of your post she is beautiful inside and out! Tell her congratulations for all her rewards! It sounds like her teachers realize how wonderful she is also.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Katie is very beautiful! Congratulations to her for her achievements, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Woops..hit the button before I was done..

    Happy Birthday to Keith! And Congratulations on your 14th Wedding Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Wow, you've had a buy month! Happy Birthday Keith, Katie - congratulations and you look wonderful...and an anniversary, where are my manners...wishing you many more years of wedded bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Oh, what a wonderful post, Vonna! Katie looked so lovely in that wonderful dress! But even better, the honors she earned! So awesome!! Congrats to Katie, and to you and your husband (happy birthday to him, BTW) - you have every reason to be proud! You honored Katie so beautifully it brought tears to my eyes.

    Here's to many more years of proud moments for you and accomplishments for Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Wonderful post Vonna! Congratulations to Katie on your achievement. She looks so pretty in your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Congratulations on all of the wonderful things that you have had to celebrate recently!! Kudos to Katie for a job well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  82. It sure is like a box of chocolates....you have some YUMMY chocolates there my friend! You must be SO very proud!! Congratulations to miss Katie!!

    ReplyDelete
  83. Vonna,
    Your pictures and words and Katie's thoughts and feelings bring tears to the eyes. No wonder you are so proud of her :>)
    Angela xx

    ReplyDelete
  84. Congratulation to your Daughter and to your family,your children are very lucky to have such a wonderful parents.
    What a lovely way to start my day, thank you for sharing with us this wonderful moment in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Congratulations to all!

    You are so right about the importance of family in our journey through this world - thank you for stating it so eloquently!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  86. Katies's award is a great report card for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  87. Your love for all of your family and especially Katie on her special day was so beautifully expressed. You made me think of my children when they were young. I thank you for my emotional tears for all our children!

    ReplyDelete
  88. Vonna, you are truly a blessed lady!!! All of your children are just beautiful but I understand how proud you must be of your Katie. I only have 1 child and when she was in 7th grade, she received the "best attitude" award for the whole school. We were so very proud. but I'll tell you, when they graduate from high school, it's very emotional also. Ali (my dd) graduated on may 27 and left for college on june 1...it's been an very big adjustment for this ole mom for sure!! I miss her like crazy but I know she's growing into a very smart, independent woman.
    Thanks for reminding us all that we need to let our kids know how proud we are of them and how much they mean to us!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher