Monday, June 15, 2009

Home Sweet Home....

Howdy doo my friends! So how's it been round here? Seems like you all have been busy as my google reader reads 863...WOW! I was caught up right before we left, now I have a whole lot more catchin' up to do ;) We had a wonderful vacation. My kids are now travelers and I can say that they have been outside the state of Indiana. This may bore you, but I thought I'd give a recap to you all to show where we've been and what we've done these last 9 days or so.



We started out in Nashville, Tenneessee.

We arrived on Sunday, June 7th and just checked into our hotel and then went out to eat for supper and then swimming / hot tubbing.



Monday morning we were up bright and early, ate a good breakfast at our hotel and on it was to Andrew Jackson's home - The Hermitage:





The Hermitage




The family in front of The Hermitage




The burial place of Andrew and Rachel Jackson located in The Hermitage's Formal Garden





Andrew Jackson died June 8th (the day we visited) they placed a wreath upon his grave





Jacob at the Jackson's graves ~ he is our resident Andrew Jackson buff, Andrew is Jacob's hero


I must say, I've been to The Hermitage about 5 times and this time it was fabulous! They have done a lot to make the tour of the grounds better. It is enhanced with a talking tour (you listen in headphones as you walk the grounds). It was wonderful! We had a great time learning more about "The General" and past President of our country. I wanted to read American Lion before we went, now I absolutely want to read it after our visit!



After the Hermitage visit we went on to Opry Mills, we ate and did a spot of shopping. Then we went on back to the hotel and swam and hot tubbed the evening away.



Tuesday we got up bright and early again ate breakfast and went to the Parthenon. This was *totally* cool and awe inspiring. Very nicely done and very nicely preserved. It was a quick stop, we stayed only an hour but it was well worth the visit.




The Nashville's Parthenon ~ the only EXACT replica of the Parthenon in the world



The Goddess Athena (whom the Parthenon was built for)


Next it was on to The Adventure Science Center. This was fun, but being that we are members of one of the top Children's Museum in the country it was a little lame - but still good and we had fun! Here's Ellie in the working ambulance they had on site:



Ambulance Driver Ellie

After the museum stop, we were headed out of town for our next destination, but we got to see the "Batman Building" one last time (as the twins called it - it was an AT & T building - but it was sort of "batman looking", huh?)


Batman Building in Nashville or is it Gotham City?


We made a couple of wrong turns....how did we know? Well we had a pretty good idea when we were in a neighborhood were the church had to park their van in a fenced in area with razor wire at the top! We locked our doors and turned on the over drive! We eventually found our way to the interstate ;)




Got Razor Wire?


We got on I-24 and cruised south :) Katie snapped a picture of the Nickajack Lake for me, this is one of my most absolute favorite spots to view when we travel down I-24:




Nickajack Lake

Late afternoon, we pulled into our Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We unloaded, checked in, went out to eat and then went back to the hotel for some swimming and hot tubbing.



Wednesday, we headed out *early again* and went to Rock City where we:


Saw a petrified mushroom



Saw Lover's Leap and a cool waterfall



Saw 7 states all at one time



Found some cave dwelling bears....oh my!



Saw some talented Gnomes


Then it was back in the van and on to Ruby Falls. We saw some magnificent things in there like:


The Falls



Cool Cave Formations

Then it was back in the van and on to Incline Railway which took us UP and back DOWN Lookout Mountain:


Incline Railway

Then it was back in the van, back to the hotel for some swimming and hot tubbing, then we went out to eat (at the same place as the previous night) and then back to the hotel for - yep you guessed it swimming and tubbing!


Thursday, dawned bright and early again we were out on the town this time going to Tennessee Aquarium. FABULOUS! We:


Petted some Sting Rays




Got to know some butterflies



Met some baby penguins



Met some Mama penguins



Marvelled at the wonders of sea life



Saw some really BIG, hungry fish



Saw some beautiful jelly fish

Then it was back in the van, back to the hotel for some more swimming, some more hot tubbing and then out to eat one last time to the Favorite Pfeiffer Tennessee Restaurant Summer 2009. We came back stuffed, tired and ready for sleep.


Friday had us awake with the sun, ate our last breakfast out, packed our bags, checked out and in our van heading back toward Indiana. Late afternoon, we were in good 'ol Haubstadt, Indiana birthplace and childhood home of Vonna Epperson Pfeiffer and current home of the Epperson-Pfeiffer parental units. We stayed the weekend there and headed home last evening. Whew....does one's own bed ever feel *so good*? Heavenly.....


So, if you're still hanging with me, thank you for sharing our vacation - we had an excellent adventure! I'm glad to be back home so I can rest! :) I have done absolutely no stitching for about 14 days now...I will definitely need to rectify that situation!


Until next time....love and best wishes, while you count your blessings and your stitches, from our house to yours! XXxxxx



"There's no place like home for the holidays or *any* day, as far as I'm concerned!"

~~Vonna Pfeiffer~~



62 comments:

  1. Vonna, thanks for all of the details and the great pics. One question: were those real penguins that you and your daughter posed with? Can you go right up to them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you made me tired with all that you did! lol I'm so glad you all had a good time. Great pics & even better memories....

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vonna, thank you for sharing your family vacation. It warms my heart that there are families out there that love to "jump" in the car and explore the USA. Due to hockey, we haven't made the effort to do that in 7 years - but remember the best trips we use to take were when we drove across the Dakotas and Colorado stopping along the way at different cities and sites. These are precious/priceless moments.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect vacation and now you have such a great photo-summary to add to your memories of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vonna,
    It sounds like you all had a great time. I loved reading about your adventures. I even read parts of it to my husband. We are about 2 hours from Nashville and are visiting there on business this weekend. You have given us a lot of ideas that we want to check into for a future trip. :) thanks!!
    Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Followed you all the way to Sticky Fingers and back... LOL!! Sounds like you all had a great vacation! Ruby Falls and Rock City look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic vacation! Thanks for sharing it. The photos are amazing! Welcome home to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you all had a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you had a great time together. Lots of nice new memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great vacation, I hung in there till the very end. Thanks for sharing all the pictures, but the van shot was the best LOL, pulled my son in to see it. Glad you had fun and made it home safely. CJ ok;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved hearing about your vacation. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No I wasn't bored. I wish I had been there.

    It sounds like you all had a full, fill full vacation. Those are the best kinds. You know the ones that you write about in September when you go back to school. :)

    Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome home! Wow, just reading about your vacation exhausted me but it sounds like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!! Sounds like a fabulous vacation!!!!! Thanks for sharing the photos~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh Vonna your pictures were wonderful thanks for sharing :) I especially LOVE the photos of the falls with the swiming hold at the bottom.

    Glad you and the family had a nice Vacation

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a wonderful vacation and the memories your kids have will always be with them. thanks for sharing your vacation. arlyce

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, your vacation wore me out! LOL Looks like you had a wonderful time and I'm going to show my DH your pictures. All the great things you saw looks like something that we'd like to do! Worth being worn out for!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so enjoyed reading all about your holidays! Sounds like a great, if exhausting, time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome home! It looks like you had a great trip! Hope you can get some stitching in again:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG...did you use "parental units"??? I thought my DH was the only one who used that....weird...must be a sci fi thing.

    Your trip looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome pictures Vonna! I love Rock City...isn't it a blast! Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  22. my mom used to say, if you don't come home from vacation exhausted, you didn't have a good vacation .. sounds like you had a wonderful one! loved the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing your holiday with us all. I'll have to see if I can find a photo of our local 'batman' building - my kids think the same as yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fabulous holiday. Everyone looks "on holiday" and that is great. : )
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vonna, What a great vacation! Thanks for the recap and pictures - sounds and looks like wonderful memories were made!!! Missed your stitching updates while you were gone (probably as much as you missed stitching!) Hope you get some time to unwind from your vacation this week and enjoy the start of summer with the kids! Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now you need a vacation after your vacation! Looked like you had a wonderful time - enjoy getting back into your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Vonna,
    I live about 45 min. south of Chattanooga, so you were in my
    backyard, so to speak! I'm glad
    your family chose to visit some of
    our interesting Southern sights and
    also glad you loved that bbq!!!
    Next time, come a bit farther down
    and visit Georgia!
    Glad you had a grea time....

    ReplyDelete
  29. I visited the TN Aquarium a couple of years ago and just loved it! And Country Inns & Suites have great breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like you all had a wonderful vacation ! Your pictures are awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an awesome vacation with so many great pics. Those cave-dwelling bears are mighty frightful! LOL! :) Looks like you had an amazing time. Makes me want to start a tradition of our little family of 6 going on our own annual vacation. You inspire me as usual! Miss ya', friend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ahhhh, I feel rested and refreshed after taking a mini-vacation with this blog post. The Batman Building comment cracked me up. Good call!

    Looks like a good time was had by all. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Woo Hoo! Considering the fact that I never leave my house...I am now perfectly satisfied that I have had a marvelous summer vacation!

    Thank you for allowing me to tag along and get all pruny in the hot tub with y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, looks and sounds like you all had a wonderful holiday.

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds (and looks) like an awesome vacation - thanks so much for sharing :D Excuse me signing with my Blogger ID but silly blogger won't let me comment with my Wordpress one today :(

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great family vacation, Vonna! Thanks for sharing the fun, and the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh what beautiful pictures, of your family and your vacation. Thanks so much for sharing them. I would love to go to that aquarium. Was that a real Mama Penguin? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Welcome back Vonna, sounds like you all had a lovely time

    ReplyDelete
  39. Vonna, welcome home!! Such a lovely scenic trip you had!! Thanks for sharing with all of us. Oh boy do I remember going to Rock City as a child with my family, lots of memories and fun times. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  40. That was a great vacation! I want to be art of your family. Of course my favorite part would have been the swimming and tubbing! OH! And eating out!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, I feel like I've gone on vacation too! Thanks for the great pictures and tour. Looks like a great family vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Aww, Vonna, thanks for taking us on a mini-vacation! I *so* enjoyed your post and all the beautiful pictures. I even recognised Nashville! (I've been there once. Loved it). Hey, it's good to have you back in Blogland, though!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looks like you all had such a nice time! We used to go to Chattanooga a lot when I lived in Georgia, but I've never been to Nashville. I would definitely like to visit one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wowie, Vonna! You must be in need of some serious rest after all that! :D Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Looks as if a good time was had by all. There is nothing like a vacation to make you appreciate coming home to your own space.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  46. It looks like you all had such a great time! I loved the pictures... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Welcome back Vonna - sounds like a great time was had by all. I have always wondered what Ruby Falls was like after seeing signs it seems for hundreds of miles as you drive through Tennesee! Someday I'll get there I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Vonna,

    Your vacation sounds like a lot of fun and your favorite restaurant sounds like one that would be mine too! The pictures are great too..

    Welcome home and happy stitching!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  49. Gorgeous pictures!! What a wonderful vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a fabulous vacation for you and the family!!! Looks like a great deal of fun!
    I think the Hermitage is one of my favorite places. I was so awed that I was actually standing in front of Andrew Jackson's home after reading about it and him.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm so glad that you had a wonderful vacation, and so glad that you're back in blog land, too! ;) Wonderful family photos! I miss taking off & visiting new places. One of the drawbacks of marrying somebody from another country is that we are always saving to go home--whether that is the US or Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful vacation Vonna!! So glad you had fun and I enjoyed following right along on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation, I'll have to write down some of those places to visit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow I'm tired just reading it ;) sounds like you had a great time! Hope you get some stitching in soon, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  55. WOW, Vonna! Love the pictures! Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Check out my blog today if you can.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Looks like you guys had a fantastic vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  58. The photo's of your vacation are absolutely beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them :)
    I came across your blog while blog hopping and have enjoyed my visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. It was a lot of fun to do the trip through your pictures. Love them, particularly the scenery pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks a lot for sharing your pictures with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. Vonna, your vacation was wonderful. I've been on Nickajack lake in our boat. we went from Scottsboro, AL to Knoxville, TN in our cruiser boat in 2006. We docked in chattanooga right in front of the aquarium for about 3 days. It was so much fun.....I just love chattanooga!

    ReplyDelete
  62. A wonderful cronicle of what looks like a great family vacation. Fun! Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher