Friday, May 08, 2009

A Shout Out...

....to all the Mother's on this Mother's Day Weekend in the USA. May your Mother's day be filled with sunshine and smiles and may you be surrounded by those that love and care for you!

Lots of wise people have had wonderful quotes about Mothers and Motherhood in general and I'd like to share with you, a couple of my favorite like:

Ralph Waldo Emmerson when he said:

"Men are what their mothers made them."


Erich Fromm summed up my feelings magnificently when he wrote:
"The Mother-child relationship is paradoxical and, in a sense, tragic. It requires the most intense love on the mother's side, yet this very love must help the child grow away from the mother and to become fully independent."


Or Lin Yutang summing it up perfectly by saying:
"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother."

And George Washington's thoughts and memory of his mother may bring tears to your eyes:
"My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her."

Anne Marro Lindbergh hit the nail on the head when she said:
"By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacationless class."
To which I stand up and shout! AMEN ANNE!

But my most favored quotes of all come from a man I've studied about, read about and have admired my entire life. Here are a few quotes from Abraham Lincoln on his mother

Nancy Hanks Lincoln:

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life."


"All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel Mother."



My only hope is that my own children, someday, will view me as Abe viewed his own Mother.

So for Mother's Day, I will be working, but I am hopeful that people are well and healthy and it will be an easy weekend because the Discovery Channel has given me a gift of the most gigantic of proportions! I was thrilled, literally over the moon to find out that the Discovery Channel is hosting a Mother's Day Marathon of the "Deadliest Catch"!!! Oh yeah....what is better than to spend the day with:

Capt'n Phil of the Corneila Marie


Edgar of the Northwestern

and Edgar's brother - Capt'n Sig of the Northwestern
(who has his own line of fish stitcks which you can purchase at YOUR local grocery store! Very nicely done Sig....lightly battered, crunchy goodness!)

Capt'n Keith of the Wizard

The Captains and Brothers - Jonathon and Andy of the Time Bandit

I tell you what....*ALL* these guys float my boat! I've been a loyal viewer of the Deadliest Catch from the first season! And who can resist the blue eyes of Capt'n Phil, or Sig and his Macho-ness, or Edgar that lovable guy, Keith...well I love him just because he reminds me of my own Keith, and finally Jonathon and Andy...well let's just say - Jonathon can captain my ship any day (I picked this up from a comment someone left him on Discovery! believe me I'm not that original.) Anyway.....I love them all and that's a pretty doggone good day to have a Mother's Day Deadliest Catch Marathon....all I can say is Ship Ahoy Buckaroos! Yank out that gangplank and bring on the chips and dip ~ Mama's watchin' Deadliest Catch ;) That was my best interpretation of modern pirate talk....

So In closing....to all the Mother's that may visit my humble blog - may you have the best Mother's Day ever!

>And as always, until next time....love and best wishes, as you count your blessings and your stitches, from our house to yours! XXxxxx

34 comments:

  1. Hope you have a lovely Mother's Day with all your little sweethearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a great Mother's Day. I would have never guessed that you were a fan of the deadliest catch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope that you have a wonderful Mother's Day. I've never watched the Deadliest Catch - hmmmm, maybe I should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the good wishes for all for this weekend! LOL..Isn't that show "Deadliest Catch" the craziest show? We watch it as much as possible as well! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, I'm a Deadliest Catch freak too Vonna! Enjoy your day! Thx for all the great quotes. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy mother's day to you ;-) Enjoy your show !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you and Happy Mother's day to you, also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the quotes - enjoy the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mothers Day Vonna! What a wonderful collection of quotes! And I say another amen to having no vacation time!

    PS - My sister is also a Lincoln buff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahem. :::trying not to bawl from the quotes that you shared::: Ahem.
    Wonderful!!

    I'm going to have to look at Deadliest Catch! I have seen it advertised on Discovery but (gasp) hadn't paid much attention. Ice Truckers is just about all I can manage--the driving over ice totally freaks me out.

    Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great collection of Mother's Day quotes!! :D I hope your Mother's Day will be filled with love, and that your kids will indeed view you as Abe Lincoln did his own 'angel mother'. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Mothers Day to you and all the mothers out there... I hope that when/if I do have child/childern that I take after my mom in parenting. She was the best!

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vonna,

    Here's a shout back at ya! Happy Mother's Day to you dear lady. I know 4 pretty lucky kids living in Indiana who are blessed to have you as their mom.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad to know someone that loves Deadliest Catch as much as I do! It is one of my Tivo'd shows for sure. Very nice pictures of the Captains! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Mother's Day!

    Thank you for sharing the beautiful quotes and for those photos . . . especially the crabboat captains!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Mother's Day! I love the Deadliest Catch too!
    TAmmy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Mothers Day! Don't you just LOVE that show! Like you've 've watched since season 1 and can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Mother's Day Vonna! I love Deadliest Catch too - thanks for the heads up on the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope that you have a wonderful and Blessed mothers day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. claudia w7:48 PM

    I wish you the best Mother's Day. I know it will be good, because, well, you are a wonderful mother and your lovely little ones will mimic all they have learned from you. They will show you all the love and caring that you have shown them.
    I will be watching Deadliest Catch right along with you, as soon as I get off of work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Mother's Day Vonna! We also get Deadliest Catch here in Oz and me and my DH have watched each season, we love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy mother's day, Vonna! And thank you for the birthday wishes for my sweetie pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Mother's Day Vonna! Just took a peak at your tutorial and its great
    Jennifer D.
    http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I caught the ad for the Deadliest Catch marathon on Mothers' Day and about peed my pants laughing. :D Here's another fan who's hoping to spend a couple of hours tomorrow with my needles and the crab boat captains!

    Thank you for your service to your community, Vonna! Our medical personnel don't get enough credit for the sacrifices you make for your job. Happy Mothers' Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great quotes and I loved the pictures too.
    DLS

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Vonna, I hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful quotes Von!
    I hope you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Mother's Day to you as well! I love your collection of sayings and especially like: "Men are what their mothers made them" ~ I'll gladly take credit for both of mine. :D

    Deadliest Catch...makes me miss Drew (even more) one of his favorite shows. Hope you enjoyed every second of it~

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Vonna,
    I hope you had a great Mother's Day with your kiddies.. I did manage to watch a few episodes of Deadliest too!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Vonna,
    Hope you had a lovely Mothers Day. I'm still laughing over mine. I gave my youngest some money to buy me a present as he was going down to Westfield Plaza for his friends birthday. He came back with a CD for himself. His excuse was that the only went to the record store and I had told him tha I didn't want a CD. I noticed though that he never gave me the money back lol. Kids what will we do with them.
    I am another huge fan of the Deadiest Catch. I think we had the marathon the week before and I enjoyed watching it while I stitched away. - Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I hope you had a Happy Mothers Day Vonna, you are a wonderful mommy. And the quotes you have here are so sweet.

    Um, I love the Deadliest Catch as much as you! It's the only show I make sure to watch every week if I can LOL! Luckily the rest of my family likes it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher