Friday, May 22, 2009

Prairie Schooler Angel Ornament for Amy...

TGIF FRIENDS!!! And it's a loooooong holiday weekend to boot, eh?! That makes today all the sweeter, doesn't it? Like a big bowl of strawberries with a cup or two of sugar on them and a package of Splenda to sweeten the deal ;) I work this weekend, but I'm off on Monday, so I thank God for little pleasures. On Monday I will begin in earnest my stripping of the Pie Safe. Thanks for all the nice comments everyone made about the pie safe, I was honestly shocked that a few people said they liked it painted. So I went back and looked at the pictures and to be honest it doesn't look as good in real life as the pictures show it to look. It will be MUCH better stripped. If the wood doesn't turn out to be in good shape, I'm knocking the idea around of milkpaints. We'll see....

On to STITCHING XXX...... there are two more rounds left to our year long ornament swap and this round's recipient is AmySC. Amy is a really dear, good buddy of mine and I wanted to stitch something special for her. So I started something and it wasn't any good. So I went nosing around through my charts and I came up with the Prairie Schooler Angels....Amy likes angels, Amy likes Prairie Schooler....so how could I go wrong? Especially when they turn out like this:

Prairie Schooler - Booklet #42 - "Angels"
Stitched on: 32 ct. Black Lugana
Stitched using: DMC
Finished as: Flat Ornament with Twisted Cording
Stitched for: my friend AmySC

This chart was published in 1993..... and I sort of laugh when I think back on that year and when I got the chart. It came out in the "fall" release batch so that would have been August or September, I had just finished Medical Technology School which was the 5th year in college (I had graduated with a B.S. in Microbiology in 1992 - to work in a Clinical Laboratory (during that time in the US) - you had to go through Medical Technology School) So I had finished my year doing that as graduate studies. So in short, I hadn't stitched for at least 5 years - I just had passed my licensure exam - and decided I was going to pick stitching back up. I was on a spending spree - I was done with school, I had a job paying more money then I'd ever made in my lifetime. I was 23...life was GOOD! So I went in search of a kit...that's all I had ever stitched was Dimension Kits....and found out that you could buy charts! WOW and get your own floss...WHOA! So this was basically my first chart ever purchased...ah memories.....

But the clinker...... is that I never stitched a one of these beauties - Yes, I had the floss. Had the fabric. But a couple of days later - I saw "Amid Amish Life" and that was it. SUNK...I started stitching that and it took me like 2 years to finish. I wasn't a very prolific stitcher in those days.

So all that hot air to say one thing......As I was stitching this I watched it literally come to life before my eyes. I thought they were "ok" on the chart picture...but as I stitched it, it kept on getting more beautiful and more beautiful. By the time I was done....I was in love *again* - my heart is fickle :) I will DEFINITELY be stitching these again....pictures do not do justice. ENJOY Amy! I know you will give her a good home and the perfect spot on your Christmas tree!

Monday serves..... as a day of remembrance to all the lost commrades of war. All those that loved and have loyally and faithfully served and defended our country. My grandfather, Ben Weber, served our country during World War II, he returned home and led a long and happy life. My brother Jeremy Epperson served our country as a Marine for eight years. He still is with us, thank God...but yet I saw him faithfully serve. My hats off to all those that have served and are serving our country. Thank you! I would not know the freedom nor the happiness in this great country had it not been for those loyal servants through the years.

Monday also .... is a day where all lost loved ones are honored, it is especially hard because just three short months ago we lost another Ben Weber. He and all our loved ones shall be remembered on Monday....May his soul and all the souls of the faithfully departed, by the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Until next time my loyal and faithful readers, Love and Best Wishes, as you count your blessings and your stitches, from our house to yours! XXxxxx


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

— Lt.-Col. John McCrae (1872 - 1918)

30 comments:

  1. That is a stunning angel Vonna! And what a fun little tale to go along with the chart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stitching with a back story. Very nice finish.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely ornament--it looks at first glance like a beautiful old religious icon! I love your story of re-discovering stitching--and isn't it funny how much more prolific we are now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful ornament. The charts for Prairie Schooler just do justice to how they will really look stitched up. Loved your story about buying that chart. I'm going through my stash right now and can remember when I bought some of those things. It's like a trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Vonna!

    Such beautiful beautiful things you made..


    Keep on stitching ^_^

    Two crazy stitchers from Bali, Indonesia, love reading your blog!!!

    Oom Santi Santi Santi Oom ... (=this is a traditional greeting from Bali!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely ornament and such a cute story to go with it! :)

    Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful angel! Love the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have wanted to stitch this ornament for a while. I love how PS puts designs together. And I loved your story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! She is beauitful. I will have to find the chart. I have a friend who just loves angels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that ornament! Have a great long weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning ornament Vonna...it's like it glows to life. Hope you have a happy Monday off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely ornament for Amy. I love your new cupboard too. I hope you can get it back to it's original wood. It will look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ornament is just gorgeous! What a beautiful job you done! I love to take a piece that looks ok charted but when stitched it is just alive and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this on Amy's blog and was blown away. It is so beautiful and you did a wonderful job, as you always do, on the finishing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This angel is gorgeous!!!!! I love the story that comes with it, too~~ Have a wonderful holiday~~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Angel is beautiful, and I'm sure Amy will love it. I agree with you, it looks much better in your picture than on the chart; thanks for sharing your story about acquiring the chart.

    Thanks also for the reminder of the reason for Memorial Day. I come from a military family, myself. My father was career Air Force; my brother is also career Air Force, having recently returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan. He's also served in Iraq. My FIL served in WWII. My husband was in the Navy, as was his only nephew. I would be a proud mother if my son decided to join the Navy when he is older.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Angel is lovely and beautifully stitched and finished... how lovely it is to read that you consider yourself a Mum first.. I loved being a Mum to my four and now I love being a Grandma to three, all who are growing up fast... the time whizzes by so enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    Blessings

    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the ornament, PS does have great designs and uses great colors.

    Just love the pie safe and most definitely strip it. If the wood is not that good - milk paint would be very nice. Enjoy your Monday

    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  20. beuaitufl stitching,and the stories (memories) too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Vonna, you do such beautiful work! Enjoy working on your pie safe! Have a great weekend!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful angel ornament! PS charts always stitch up beautifully, don't they? I love your story about it being your first chart. Have a nice Monday off work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for reprinting the Flanders Field poem. It's been too long since I last read it.

    Love your story about your first chart purchase - I bet a lot of us can relate to it! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you are having a good weekend, Vonna. Your stitching story is great. I remember those days. How therapeutic it is to stitch! Have a good Memorial Day weekend.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  25. An adorable ornament and a nice story. My first ever chart was also a Prairie Schooler, it was also back in the nineties when there was no internet and just one distributor in my country who offered charts from the US. And that was the start of my PS collection. Memories ...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful ornament, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The PS Angel looks wonderful. I've not seen their angels before, what a beautiful one. Looking forward to seeing how the cabinet turns out. I kind of liked it in the blue, but as you say so many times pictures don't really show us how things look in person.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amid Amish Life is the project that caught my eye and my first counted cross stitch project. Before that I had done only stamped cross stitch and crewel embroidery. Your angel ornament is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The angel ornament is indeed lovely, as is reading your story behind the pattern. :) Hope you enjoyed your day off work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really do love this angel. Sublime!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher