Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Garage Sale Find...

Howdy Do Friends! I had to share with you my Garage Sale "find"...now let me set up the story...

Our friends (and neighbors) are moving. . . . they were having a garage sale, I saw this big ceramic Santa Claus and finally broke down and walked across the yard to see if I could just take it off their hands :) While I was there - in a dark corner of their garage - I saw this big blue hulking thing....I looked closer and saw it was a pie safe. I kiddingly said, "You're not going to sell that are you?" And my friend said, "yes..." I said, (at the top of my lungs) "DON'T SELL IT! UNLESS IT IS TO ME!" She made a sold sign and told me she had to talk to her husband to ask what they wanted for it.

That evening they brought it over to my house and told me it was mine (FREE!) because I was such a good friend to them. Wasn't that NICE!? There are truly special people in this world!

Now here's the pictures - now I realize that it is BUTT FUGLEY because of that blue paint (what was she thinking to paint even the tins?) but here it is (excuse the messy garage pictures):





Ok, so here's the deal...I figure from the grain of the wood on the inside - it is Yellow Poplar because it was from her great-grandmother's farm in Milan, Indiana - she found it in a barn years ago. Yellow Poplar is indigenous in Indiana and would be locally available and plentiful. There were mice nests all through it apparently - put it is in really, really good condition. It is about 5 1/2 feet tall!!! (I'm 5' 9" and it comes up to my nose...) It is the original punched tin - although that's gonna take some real work to get the paint out of all those holes :o( My friend figures it is over 150 years old. I figure it is too, to be honest, from the workmanship and the nail heads. It is gorgeous. If I can return it to it's original wood finish...OH MY! Now there's some rusting damage to one of the tins on the side, but to be honest, that just makes it more dear to me. I have visions my pretties...visions of penny rugs, quilts and my Uhl crock (another Indiana treasure!!) all adorning my lovely pie safe in my entry way. THIS shall be my big summer adventure! To return this gorgeous piece to the beauty it once was.....
The saga shall begin in earnest soon....I don't want to strip it because that will bring up the grain...since it is yellow poplar that is a soft wood. So it will have to be stripped using heat....like I said...FUN...shall ensue! But what a treasure!!!! An heirloom to be proud of!
Thank YOU for your visits and friendships ;) Until next time: Love and Best Wishes, as your count your blessings and your stitches, from our house to yours! XXxxxx
Friendship is sharing openly,
laughing often,
trusting always, caring deeply.
~~Author Unknown~~

54 comments:

  1. Cool Vonna! My mom has been in the "Antiques business" for 20 years and has been refinishing longer than that. I'll send you an email with some info on stripping it if you're interested? Have fun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You are so lucky lucky lucky! I can't wait to see the pie safe after you restore it!

    How about sending some of that Vonna luck down my way! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's beautiful Vonna! Good luck with the refinishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky! I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that will be beautiful when it is returned to it's former glory. Now enough about penny rugs and quilts, what about some pies!
    :-)
    Gotta have something to eat with all that coffee.
    DH drinks enough tea for the two of us so i'll stick with my Java.
    Hope you have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to seeing how it will turn out. Good luck!!

    ps I kinda like it in blue...I'm a big fan of painted wood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY cool! I'll be anxious to see how you bring this piece of heritage back to life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Vonna you are trully a lucky girl. I have been searching for a pie safe for years but they are always so pricey....

    I can't wait to see what it looks like when its all cleaned up. What a perfect place for storing ALL your stash :)
    Natahsa

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an ugly little beauty! It's going to be amazing when you return it to its splendor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a super piece you lucky gal!!!! I am green to the gills with envy!! It will be simply beautiful when you strip off the blue paint and let the wood glow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vonna, judging by all of your stitchy work, you will make this look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really have your hands in a million different projects. I love it! I look forward to seeing how this beauty turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh lucky lucky you! Congratulations on such a wonderful gift! I will look forward to seeing how you will refinish it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! What an awesome find! I can bet it will be gorgeous once you get finished with its make-over.

    My Granma has an old pie safe in her house...not sure of its story, though. But it looks very similar...minus the blue paint (on the tins! *cringe*)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a great find. What an adventure you will have refinishing it. Can't wait to read those blog posts.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful piece! Good luck with your restoration project. It will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an absolutely fantastic find! Hopefully all it will take is a little elbow grease to get the paint off the tin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uhl!!!

    Great find! I can't wait to see your restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome find Vonna! I kind of think it looks neat as blue but will be beautiful when refurbished to it's natural wood color and copper tins. Can't wait to see the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great find - can't wait to see the 'after' pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!! What a find! Treasure every moment of the restoration process, because you'll have a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a special treat for you, Vonna, and so much deserved. I can only imagine your kindness to your neighbors. So glad that they gifted you!! And I can't wait to see you unearth the true beauty of this piece! WooHoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, the pie safe is in great shape (except for the blue paint of course). It will be so beautiful after refinishing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a treasure! I can't wait to see your restoration process! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a nice thing for your neighbors to do! That is a great piece and I can not wait to see it refinished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, your so lucky and you deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  28. Vonna,

    Best wishes in your restoration project. I'm sure your love for the piece will enable you to put in the hard work that it will require.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How wonderful that this VERY special piece of furniture (and history) wound up with you, someone who cares enough to restore it to its original beauty. Yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. A wonderful find, can't wait to see it restored!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, that really is a treasure, that's deserving of the effort it will take to restore.

    I look forward to seeing it restored one day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW!!! What a great find! And how generous of them to give it to you for free! I can't wait to see photos of your progress with it. Woo hoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. So, a pie safe huh? That is what they are called? It will be really cool when you get it refinished. I cringe when I see people paint on old beautiful furniture. You can get it restored I am sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! What a great find! And what a great friend! Can't wait to see your transformation of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a fantastic find! I can't wait to see it's progress through the summer! It is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great find ! Can't wait to see your transformation of this treasure ! I'm sure it's going to be beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  37. SCORE!!! That's awesome!! Can't wait to see the progress pics and the finsh pic on that. It is going to be stunning when you're done with it. Wow wow wow...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my goodness! I can't believe you fell on this wonderful find! My mother has a pie safe from a zillion years ago that my brother used for his chemistry sets (who knew?) and she had it refinished later. It's one of the prettiest antiques she has. You have a real treasure, my friend. Can't wait to see it unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I can just imagine how lovely that pie safe will end up being!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just up your alley! Wow-what a nice piece! The blue is a color I like, but I think you are correct, the poplar will be much better showing. Good luck! The price was good too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great find!!!! Love your template too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love antiques that is such a great find. You collect UHL pottery, me too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. look like a great proyect, i love the wood fourniture.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations on your GREAT find! I'm sure you'll get it looking like it should.

    ReplyDelete
  45. That is really really beautiful! What a lovely find! I have always wanted to have a pie safe to use instead of a dresser.

    Even if you don't get ALL the paint off, it is still gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a great find!!! Can't wait to see what you do with it and how you display it.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow! That is a gorgeous cabinet!
    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. How thrilling, have fun with your new treasure. CJ ok;-)

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a great find! I can't wait to see your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Looking forward to future updates on your refinishing project! What a find, you lucky kid! :D

    ReplyDelete
  51. What a great cabinet! I can't wait to see it refinished. It will be a lot of work, but sooooo worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Lucky girl! It will be great when redone.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Stripped off its colour it will be a real beauty, I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher