Wednesday, January 21, 2009

American Moment....

Yesterday was a day that I was proud to be an American....and since there was many references, reflections, and inferences to Abraham Lincoln ~ one of my favorite Presidents that I have read many books about, live not far from his boyhood home and have visited many times as a young girl and later as a mother of my own children ~ I felt it only fitting to use his words to sum up what I hope that our new President takes to heart during his Presidency:

"These communities, by their representatives in old Independence Hall, said to the whole world of men: "We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." This was their majestic interpretation of the economy of the Universe. This was their lofty, and wise, and noble understanding of the justice of the Creator to His creatures. Yes, gentlemen, to all His creatures, to the whole great family of man.

In their enlightened belief, nothing stamped with the Divine image and likeness was sent into the world to be trodden on, and degraded, and imbruted by its fellows. They grasped not only the whole race of man then living, but they reached forward and seized upon the farthest posterity. They erected a beacon to guide their children and their children's children, and the countless myriads who should inhabit the earth in other ages. Wise statesmen as they were, they knew the tendency of prosperity to breed tyrants, and so they established these great self-evident truths, that when in the distant future some man, some faction, some interest, should set up the doctrine that none but rich men, or none but white men, were entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, their posterity might look up again to the Declaration of Independence and take courage to renew the battle which their fathers began—so that truth, and justice, and mercy, and all the humane and Christian virtues might not be extinguished from the land; so that no man would hereafter dare to limit and circumscribe the great principles on which the temple of liberty was being built."

~Abraham Lincoln
August 17, 1858

Hold these values close to your heart Mr. President, that is all I ask....

14 comments:

  1. Amazing words!!
    The first and certaily one of the wisest man in world history!
    Well choosen to celebrate such an important moment for your country, and for all the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice, Vonna. It is good for us to read these important statements from our history. Thanks for highlighting this for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed up till 2.00am here in Malaysia to watch history being made. And his words were so powerful, more so because they're in essence from Lincoln, MLK and JFK. Men destined for greatness!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never before has a President had the hopes and dreams of so many people, of all ethnicities, of all religions, on his shoulders.
    I watched from Ireland yesterday and found the comments the Uk and Irish broadcasters were getting from people on the streets so interesting.

    Blacks, whites, purples greens and oranges lol...all together..all happy. I really really hope this president delivers as he is not just carrying equal rights for America to the front...everyone everwhere is hoping he is successful as it will set a trend for the whole of Europe, the whole of the world.

    He is a role model for the whole world...no pressure then ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vonna,
    Thanks for sharing - wonderful values that we can all take to heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing that. I have great hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, crap...just when I stopped my bawling..here I go again! Thank you for this. Utterly profound, yet so damn simple, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vonna,

    Yesterday was a great day ~ thanks for sharing these wise words.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful - thank you for sharing these inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Claudia W.9:30 PM

    I catch my breath every time I think about what is before us, what this man has taken on. I am excited for our future again, Obama has brought aboutthat excitement. I pray that he has the strength and courage to do this. I will be praying for him every day for the next four years! ZI want him to be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let us hope for the best. I know my husband has already been out of work for two weeks now. Hope for jobs Mr. President, not layoffs or cut backs.
    I'm gonna try your baking in the oven!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an exciting time for Americans..Thanks for sharing those brilliant words!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher