Monday, July 07, 2008

Penny Rug Ornament...

Here's my ornament for the first round of The Christmas Ornament Swap. This month's recipient of 13 ornaments due by July 31 was Staci and this is what I stitched for her:


A "Penny Rug" Pillow Ornament
Design Name: Build Peace
Designer: Handwork
Taken from: Just Cross Stitch Anniversary Book
Stitched on: 40 ct. Newcastle Silkweaver Solo
Threads: Gentle Arts Sampler Threads

It turned out pretty doggone cute, in my own humble and honest opinion...I don't think I'd do a thing different and I'm going to do it again for myself. I just really love how it turned out all primitive and antiquey looking....

As soon as I saw it I knew that IT was THE ONE for Staci...I hope she loves it as much as I thought she would!

Well after a 7 day stretch working (3 days of which I worked at both hospitals) covering for vacations....I'm ready for a couple days off! My job is very flexible (well for the most part) and I love the work I do and as soon as I finish my work and all my reports are done and Doctors have been informed, I get to leave. So on average I work only 4 hours per day (if it is only at one of the hospitals) and 8 - 10 hours per day (if I'm working both hospitals). During the summer Microbiology (for the most part) takes a nose dive. So it's not been terribly hard work over the past week...but I still have to schedule and make sure the kiddos are ok, calling every hour to make sure everyone is still alive.

I have three days before I have to go back to work again and I'm going to sit my bum in the chair and finish my Halloween RR come hell or high water as my Pap used to say ;) Let's hope neither comes around anytime soon, though, yes?

A big THANK YOU! for all the lovely Birthday wishes ;) You all made me SMILE!

So until next time.....stitch smiles!

32 comments:

  1. That is an awesome ornament for Staci! I know she will treasure it!

    Three days off work? That's great; enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Please no talk of high water, although it is hotter than H#@$ outside. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Vonna!
    This is absolutely pretty!!
    I love the felt squares around the stitched piece!
    That's so cute!!
    I think I should order that issue soon! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ADORE it!!! Thanks again Vonna, and enjoy your 3 days off :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That us a lovely gift :)

    I am glad you are having some time off have fin stitching.
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ornament for Staci! Your finishing is fabulous!

    I just started stitching mine tonight -can't tell you what it is though! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing to work, run a family and house and still fit in some stitching time. What an inspiration!
    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the ornament for Staci and how you've finished it! Enjoy your days off work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow great ornament

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an incredibly beautiful ornament Vonna! I love how you've finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a sweet ornament. I love the way you finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice finishes, and Happy Belated Bday!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did such a fantastic job! It is very different from the one I am stitching for her ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous ornie Vonna, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoy those days off! I've got to finis my rr also, it's jst about done!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dianne12:11 PM

    Love this piece! I left a comment on Flickr too.
    Your hibiscus is a perennial. I have one too, I raised from seed that blooms the dinner plate size flowers. Unfortunately, the deer find it quite tasty and have eaten all the leaves. Dang. : (

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Vonna! Your ornament is great! I'm sure Staci will love it! 13! You like staying busy huh?!? Looking forward to seeing the other 12.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh what a cute ornament! Great idea to do the penny rug finish on it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great ornament and another super finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic and original finish! Vonna, dear . . . happy belated birthday! I was thinking of you on July 5. What lovely lovely pressies you received in the mail! I'm glad your day was so special.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't read your post at all, I just rushed straight to the comments to tell you how amazingly fabulous I think your ornie for Staci is. I can tell you right now I'm going to steal your idea and stitch one for me. Hope you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
  23. really nice stitch up you have done beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  24. really nice stitch up you have done beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic finish and so original. I love the felt squares you have sewn around the pillow.

    Enjoy your three days off and I hope you get lots of stitching done. I eagerly await the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how I love Penny Rugs...never seen anything like this, it is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You made a super choice for Staci! WONDERFUL ornament, Vonna!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  29. If Staci doesn't like it, I'll take it! ;0

    Seriously, it's perfect. GREAT job!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful idea for finishing ornaments, Vonna! It looks so sweet and I bet it will become a favourite of Staci's! I absolutely love all your inventive ideas for finishing - they are truly inspiring :-D

    It sounds like you are putting in a lot of hours at work. Look after yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Christmas Ornament is the best...love the combination of the penny rug and cross stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just finished my 7 day stretch in the lab and that's exactly what I'm doing... sitting on my bum and stitching,lol!
    That pillow ornie is just adorable!! I absolutely love your finish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher