Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Old RR, New RR and a surprise!

Hello Friends :)
Hope all of you are ship shape! It's 9:33 a.m. in the good 'ol morning in Indiana and we've got a perfectly clean house, supper's in the crockpot, breakfast is done and the kids have had their 45 minutes of "Mama's Summer School" so we're in for "free time" the rest of the morning until Lunch....then it's lunch, clean up the dishes and 30 minutes of quiet reading time with quiz after lunch....then it's back to some "free time"...don't ya love summer?

I mailed Rowyn's RR out yesterday for Group 2 of Hello Neighbor RR's. Here's my contribution:

Here's Rowyn's RR as it stands prior to my stitching it.....just two spots left and they will be flying their way home! Yippee!



I was beginning to think of starting another RR on my own....and then I ran across my friend Donna starting up Witching for Stitching and thought hmmm...why not? So Donna graciously let me join!




Then it came to...."oh no...fabric..." So last night I went through my stash and pulled out a large cut of white 32 ct. linen and then pulled out my RIT and a squirt bottle and went to town dyeing....Here's the results of my efforts:





Not too shabby, I'm thinking....the squirt bottle worked great...I first dyed it all over with tan. And then I rinsed and rinsed in cold water, laid it all out in the bottom of the sink....and commenced squirting the Cocoa Brown on it, stopping to rinse and rinse in cold water - re-laying the fabric out and squirting...over and over until I got this mottled, layered look.




This one looks like unmentionable things happened on it.....just the way I like it ;) LOL! Ideas for the Halloween RR is whirling thorugh my head....hmmm.....but I've always admired this booklet and especially the crow holding the treat bag with a witch's hat on...so I believe that he shall be in the center of the fabric and will scatter blocks around him for the participants to stitch....we'll see what I come up with ;)






Finally friends, I was surprised by the ever sweet Kendra...Kendra and I met through blogging but we shared growing up in the same area of southern Indiana...we also share going to college "in state" I attended Indiana University - right here in good 'ol Bloomington, IN. Kendra on the other hand went more north to a black and gold college....and it hurts me even to say it, but Purdue University home of the Boilermakers.....ahem...


Anyway, friendship and good 'ol rib poking good fun ensued after our "meeting" and so became a friendship. . . Yesterday I received in the mail this:


My very own Indiana - Hurryin' Hoosiers floss tag and ring! The back shows our names and Kendra said that although it hurt her to chart her own IU design and stitch all that Crimson on Cream linen (IU colors) she added her own name in the Purdue Black and Gold colors....apparently she showed her better half the result of her stitching and he told her to - "get it out of the house NOW!" LOL!


Thank you Kendra....you made my day!

Until next time my dear sweet readers, have a great day and lots of stitching! As always stitch and live with joy!

34 comments:

  1. That linen is just beautiful. i have not tried to dye anything yet but with you and Jennifer doing all that dying I may just have to try!! The booklet link was broken - what was the title?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was unable to access your link Vonna but your description sounds very familiar. What pattern is it from? Definitely sounds like it will be a fun RR. Your dye job for it turned out really great!
    Love what you did on Rowyn's RR. I would love to participate on one of these some day. I just need more time. Either that or retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your linen turned out beautifully! You are so adventurous with that home-dying :)

    What a great gift from Kendra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to mention... Have you seen the new releases by LHN? I'm partial to The Rain Fell. No more stash until next pay though! I have to pace myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fabric Vonna, I wish I was that talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rowyn's RR looks wonderful - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fabric came out great! I love to dye fabrics too! That was so nice of Kendra!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I have this book and it keeps surfacing to the top of my I want to stitch collection of charts. Maybe some day!
    Beautiful RR! I know your Halloween RR will be too and I'm looking forward to following it!
    Love the structure you offer your kids, they're very blessed.
    Beautiful floss tag/ring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my heavens, you are so organized! Our kids don't have summer break yet, but I've been making a mental list of the things I'd like to do with them ...

    That linen is stunning. You're gifted!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric turned out beautifully! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your fabric looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your day sounds wonderful with the kids. Summer time. I hope your weather is better then ours. Cold wet and rainy. It's like early spring. yucky.
    The fabric you dyed is amazing. I might give it a try some time but I will use evenweave,..not to fond of linen. We'll see.
    Oh-oh I'm starting to think about Halloween as well. Maybe another start..yippee!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the hand-dyed linen - great color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rowyn's RR is so fantastic! And I love the idea of a Halloween RR, I'm a Halloween nut! :D I have always loved that booklet too, but it's not one that I have.

    And your fabric turned out fantastic! Isn't it fun to dye your own. :D I just love getting in there and going all creative. I get a bit more messy as I use giant garbage bags taped to my kitchen counters and then lay out my fabric. Your way sounds cleaner. LOL I love the color combos you got on that piece, just lovely! :D Have fun with that RR.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The RR and your fabric dying looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, love what you stitched on my RR. Thanks Vonna. I'm very happy with how it's coming along. Not long until they all head home now.

    Have fun with your Halloween RR. Will look forward to seeing all your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful job you have done on Rowyn's RR. How gorgeous it is turning out to be. Your Hoosier tag is quite the thing. I am sure it keeps you smiling. and that fabric ---- just too gorgeous for words. Nice going girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That book looks perfect for a Halloween RR Vonna and I LOVE your fabric. I must try doing something like this. We have Dylon dyes over here so I'm guessing they might work the same way.

    Love Rowyn's RR.

    Lovely tag from Kendra:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful RR, and a lovely floss ring for you! Stitching friends are so special!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful Neighbourhood RR. The more I see of them the more I'd like to restart doing RRs - the only question is when? Lol.
    Your dyed fabric looks gorgeous.
    And don't we all like the kind of surprise your friend sent you?

    ReplyDelete
  21. There sure is a lot of cooking and cleaning up when all the kiddos are home for the summer!

    Love your fabric...I'm waiting on my Hobby Lobby to get in some more yd cuts of linen (I may have cleaned them out, lol!)

    And isn't that ring tag the cutest? You must be very special friends for her to risk traitor status by stitching it, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your fabric - and what a sweet gift from Kendra!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to see pics of your neww rr...sounds like fun :) The fabric you dyedfor it is lovely..perfect for halloween designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I LOVE your linen. Some day I'm going to get brave enough to dye my own ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rowyn's RR is lovely.

    Love your dyed fabrics - must try dying!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh Vonna, I´m happy to see you´re still your busy little self. No more baking fabrics in the oven, then? Still, this seems like a very effective way to get some spooky fabric. I love this Halloween design too! It's going to look fab.
    Love Kendra's gift for you. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  27. After Tuesday and Wednesday's violent rain storms (I'm sure you had your fill of them there too) you have inspired me to break out the RIT dyes again and go out to the picnic table with the buckets and get to work. The sun is blazing at nearly 90 degrees so the fabrics and floss should dry quickly. What a great job on that linen!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your summer days seem well and truely organised! Linen is fab and what a sweet giftie you got too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are doing awesome with your fabric dying!!!

    GREAT RR :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rowyn's RR looks really great! I bet she is looking forward to getting it back.

    One of these days I'm going to have to try fabric dyeing - I see so many of you doing it with fabulous results!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Vonna: Hope you & your family are doing ok in B-town. My daughter tells me they have a lot of flooding on campus, etc. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! Your talents are never-ending - I never ceased to be amazed when I "visit" with you! What a lovely job on dying the fabric. Have fun using it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice dye job. Interesting technique.

    Love the flags you have added to the sidebar of your blog. I can never get enough flags.

    That floss tag is very special. I know how difficult it must have been for Kendra to stitch something relating to the enemy. We have a big rivalry here in my state and I would NEVER stitch anything that had the logo of the other school. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love that fabric.

    I enjoy reading your blog. You have lovely finishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher