Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Makin' Plans....

Hello Friends....I'm jumping in for a quick "drive" by post....I'm still chasing my tail like a - well I don't know what...but like something! LOL! Yesterday as I was trying to knock down my Google reader numbers....YIKES - you people are prolific!....I stopped for a visit at dear BeckySC's and I saw that she was starting something from the recent Cross Stitch and Needlework Mag that I had set aside for doing myself! She asked about anyone wanting to SAL and although I've not been a very good stitcher at all of late, I decided to jump in the fray with her! :) I believe my other dear buddy AmySC is going to play with us too! I'm seeing a trend here, or maybe a "pattern" as my kids say...maybe I should be called VonnaIN or Vonna TTS (the twisted stitcher) but I think that "Vonna" is unique...not many of those running around, huh?

So to start a SAL you have to have the perfect fabric right? Well I didn't have any - and didn't want the boring antique white that it called for. I'm an aged/used looking lover and just like sweet Edgar says...."splotchy does it for me"...well it does it for me too.. and I didn't have anything really around that I wanted so...I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and picked up some linen and some RIT. Prior to my blogging days and when I was on a Lizzie Kate kick I used to RIT all my own fabric into those wild colors (orange, purple, blue....) well I've not done it for years....I got on the coffee/tea dying bandwagon and added my own basting and baking procedure to the linen...but I didn't want to have to do that last night (that takes a long time and you have to stand with the linen so it doesn't burn)...so RIT it was - Here's the outcome:

#1 attempt
25 ct. I used RIT tan and RIT Cocoa Brown
I twisted it and dipped in Cocoa Brown, and then dipped in Tan...rinsed; twisted it a different way and repeated; rinsed; repeat above steps a few times.
It's a little splochy, but more even than what I was going for. Nice attempt...will use it for something....not what I was wanting....but good try! Grade: B-


Attempt #2
Used RIT tan and RIT Cocoa Brown again. This time I:
put whole shebang into Tan pot soaked for 1 minute - got it out - wrung it out twisted it - and dipped into Cocoa Brown - wrung it out - repeated the twisting in a different area - dipped - wrung - twist - dip -wrung - twist - dip....then rinsed, rinsed, rinsed....hung to dry...today the above is what I got! Darn near PERFECTION! It's splotchy...looks like it's been through the wringer, a mud puddle, had some coffee spit on it, PERFECT! AND if I may say so myself it's pretty darn close to the R&R Linens Creek Bed Brown that everyone raves about. (psst...and it's a heck of a lot cheaper!)

Here's the floss toss with pattern, fibers and my fabric - pretty darn good isn't it?! I'm excited!!!

And while I was at Hobby Lobby I decided to stock up on my good 'ol monochromatic favorite DMC 115....hmm....I've got lots of ideas my pretties :)

So there ya go....go out and buy some linen and RIT and go to town....heck have a party! I'm DEFINITELY going to do it again the next time I'm going to try a yellowish (golden)/Cocoa brown combo and see what rules the day! I'll let you know ;)

Until next time my dear friends....stitch with joy!

38 comments:

  1. Oh Vonna, what a beautiful fabric!! Congratulations, you did great job with this, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Vonna! You should sell your own hand-dyed fabric :) It's so pretty! I will have to give this a try some day down the line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fabric looks great Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love splotchy too! So we agree there! Kool aid is great for dying too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to start this sampler!! My mag should be here tomorrow if UPS doesn't mess up. :-) Now to make sure I get all the floss... no idea on fabric yet... will wait until it arrives. And no offense to anyone, but I'm not a "splotchy" fabric kinda gal. I prefer even tones for *most* things. I know, I'm kinda the odd gal out in today's stitching world. That's what makes the world go round though! :-) HAPPY stitching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful results look forward to seeing the stitching on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fabrics, Vonna! The sampler will look fantastic on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just GORGEOUS linen!!!!!! I really need to try and dye my own... you are such an inspiration!!

    edgar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great fabric Vonna! I love the affect you achieved. I've always just dunked. I will have to try the twisting and wringing! :) I agree that sampler is really pretty! I'm on the lookout for the magazine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to dye your own fabric!! Great success! Love the colours in your floss toss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Have you ever tried to dye fabrics with Kool-aid? I've been wanting to try that and rit at some point. I have a lot of 14 ct white aida to play around with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous! I'll have to show my latest beet-dye attempt. I'm quite pleased with it ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vonna, you fabric is stunning and you dod a great job with the dying! You go girl....!
    Looks like I will be using the boring Antique white linen as I didn't find anything in my stash I wanted to use. I think though that the sampler will look really great on it as I did a floss toss and the colors look nice against my fabric!
    I am looking so forward to getting started on Thursday :)

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vonna,

    Wow! Love your dying projects. You've done really well with both pieces, and the one that you've chosen to stitch the sampler on is especially pretty. Nice and blotchy.

    I've seen a few stitchers are enamored of that design from Cross Stitch and Needlework magazine and have it on their list of "do it soon" projects. It's funny how some designs seem to catch everyone's eye and appeal to so many. From what I've seen of it, it does look pretty. Do you know who the designer is?

    You're such a busy person, what with family, work, activities for the kids and your finishing and stitching. I'm exhausted just reading all about it.

    Take care and thanks for visiting my blog. It's always great hearing from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are one busy and ambitious woman. Some day I am going to have to try my hand at dyeing fabric. Yours looks awesome. I guess I am not that ambitious. Just keep stitching away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 78748!!
    Vonna,
    The fabric turned out great both look fabulous. I can't wait to try my hand at dying my own fabrics. I have some boring white that would love to have a pretty face lift :)

    Have fun in the SAL. That design looks like a great one.
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful fabric Vonna...dyeing sure is addictive (I've curbed myself enough to still have some white in my stash lol!) And DMC 115 is one of my faves too, can't get too much of it!!!

    3 days of school left here and my brain is frazzled and I'm exhausted! And I didn't realize till after I'd mailed my F&S that I didn't include a note! You hang in there too, I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks lovely, Vonna! Great job.

    BTW - I have the sound on on the computer at the moment (I usually have it muted), and I have to say I love the song!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great your fabrics!Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dang, you're a great fabric dyer! Congrats on what will doubtlessly be a beautiful project. Hmmmmmm do I need another SAL????

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fab fabrics Vonna! You make it sound so easy. Do they sell rit over here I wonder???

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gee--you should come to my house and dye me up some fabric. I should try it, and maybe I will this long weekend. I'll probably have dye on the walls!

    It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You surely are an inspiration! Great looking fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Vonna! I've never even considered trying to dye my own fabric! After seeing your results, I may have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I should try dyeing my linen sometime. I could do it! Schools out for summer!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow love your fabrics Vonna!! I wonder if we have something like Rit over here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your fabric is seriously gorgeous, Vonna! The floss toss photo has me drooling! I am sooo wanting to join this SAL now!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow your fabric just turned out beautiful!! I would probably have more on me than the fabric but I may try some of that sometime. I know Nicole has dyed some and it has turned out to be quite pretty!! Good job!!

    Lololol, I just had to laugh at what you said "I'm an aged/used looking lover" as that sounds like me really and has nothing to do with fabric hehehehehehe Debby :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm going to join you in the SAL too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love what you did with that fabric Vonna. I have sometimes gone the coffee/tea route and I love the effects I get. I'm wondering what Rit is and if we have it here in the uk. I'm off to google it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That fabric is absolutely scrummy!! I've always wanted to try dying my own linen but never knew how. Thanks for the tips ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now I know I have to try this dying thing you make it look so easy. I'm so impressed with it, it's gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the fabric colour you have come up with. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good choice to have DMC 115 as your favourite, i guess many of us have,-))

    Well Vonna just want to tell you that you made me laughing this morning already because I read your post about Becky stitching Flower Power for her mom....I am thinking nearly the same, Becky is such a fast stitcher...I have FP in my basket too so perhaps I can join the train to finish it before her???? No...never...I know....

    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  35. Both pieces look brilliant - I really must try this dyeing for myself, I'm not sure though if we can get RIT here in the UK, I'll have to go looking.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, looks fabulous! I really like the second piece. I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic fabric! I must give this a try sometime too.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great dye job! I'd love to join this SAL but I can't seem to keep up with what I'm doing already. Retirement just can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher