Friday, May 30, 2008

Home....

HOME: (definition): 1. one's place of residence 2. familiar surroundings.

All I can say is: It's good to be HOME....we went on a 4 day mini vacation with the kids from Tuesday until this evening and I never wished nor longed for a place more than HOME! ;)

We went to Holiday World and Splashing Safari two days in a row, we stayed 4 days and 3 nights at Lake Rudolph in a King Size RV...sound luxurious...not really....we went to Blue Springs Caverns and we rounded out the vacaton at Abe Lincoln's Boyhood National Memorial.

Holiday World and Splashing Safari (formerly called "Santa Claus Land" when I was a youngster) is the best amusement park around in my honest opinion. It's clean, it's fun and the owners focus on family - what more could you ask for? Lake Rudolph is owned by the same family as Holiday World and the RV's were fun for the kids, we ate hot dogs and made smores around the campfire each evening. What a hoot we had! Blue Springs Caverns, is just a hop skip and jump from our home, but we'd never been there and it was relaxing and informational, and brought out the adventurer in all of us and Lincoln Boyhood Memorial made me proud not only to be an American but a Hoosier (Indiana Resident). Although Keith and I have been many times to Lincoln's boyhood home, (every Southern Indiana child has a field trip to this site during 4th grade Indiana History), our children had never been and I must say - I've not been for probably 10 years and they've made some super upgrades to the homesite itself and had a knowledgeable, period dressed "Thomas Lincoln" at the homesite and he gave lots of great information to the visitors. They also added lots of farm animals and the kids got a hoot out of the cows, sheep and chickens. Ellie chased this poor hen around the perimeter of the fence about 10 times before the hen finally found an escape route! Exhausting, but a lovely time with the family...no phones, no t.v. just good together time, well spent!

Now on to the secret stitching I've done of late.....

First up: I stitched up this monochromatic design for the Make a Wish Board and specifically for my wisher - Andrea. She asked for a Quaker design stitched monochromatically in any color and finished as a pinkeep - this is what I stitched for her:

Designer: A Mon Ami Pierre
Design: Octagonal Quaker Heart
Thread: DMC 115
Fabric: Sassy's Creamy Cocoa 32 ct.
Finished as: a Heart Shaped Pinkeep

Next Up: I had an exchanger on the Fair and Square board that didn't receive a set of squares, so I stitched up these for her:


Designer: Lizzie Kate
Design: Freebie from website entitled "Count Your Blessings"
Stitched on 32 Ct. Sassy's French Vanilla Lugana
Fibers: DMC
Stitched for Darla of Fair and Square

Next Up: I participated in the Fourth of July Fair and Square Special Holiday Exchange and stitched this for my partner, Kim S.:

Designer: Lizzie Kate

Design: Liberty for All

Stitched on: 32 ct. Tan Marble Sassy's Fabbys

Stitched for Kim S. of Fair and Square

Ok folks...well that's all for me for today....I was behind on reading blogs prior to my vacation and I'm disheartened at the reader's numbers today (993!)....thank you for your continued visits, well wishes, kind comments and everything...rest assured I WILL (I think I can, I think I can...) catch up and visit you back....thank you too for all my new readers...I've had a couple of you leave comments and I've added you to my list to read....I appreciate you all so much and you don't know what your kind thoughts and words mean to me!

Until next time my dear friends, stitch and live with joy!

33 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had an adventurous "vacation!" Your stitching looks beautiful! I love that pinkeep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a glorious time and need to rest up from your vacation!!!

    Fabulous stitching as always Vonna~~love the heart-shaped pinkeep, must copy that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Great job on the squares and the pin keep. Have a great weekend Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it home okay. Mini vacations are so fun. Your stitching is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stitching is wonderful! I especially like that first one, the monochromatic Quaker. How on earth did you get your heart finishing to turn out so perfectly?? Heart-shaped finishes give me fits...

    Welcome home from your mini-holiday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your squares you finished look great! Sounds like you had a nice mini vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Quaert heart is stunning!!
    The squares a re beautiful as always...!!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mini vacation looked like fun, but I hear you on being glad to be home. Thanks for the recommendation on the park - I'm always looking for new idea!

    The pinkeep you stitched for Andrea is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really sound like you had a lot of family fun on yur mini vacation.

    Love the finishes too. The pinkeep is to die for I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had fun! We can't decide if we should go somewhere this summer or not. We may just visit somewhere in Ga. I added you! You'd think I'd be crazy after my other rr has problems, but I'm confidant in all my stitchers that I have currently!
    Wheeeee!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty stitching, and the Quaker heart is gorgeous! Enjoy your home sweet home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely stitching for your exchanges! Glad you made it home safely from your vacation and everyone had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All your stitched pieces are lovely! Glad that you had a good holiday too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That does sound like an exhausting vacation. I love the pinkeep you made for Andrea, you are so talented ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad your vacation was short and sweet and you are back where you enjoy the most!! Your stitching is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Quaker Heart pinkeep is beautiful! I love the finish and the scalloped edging; just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun and interesting vacation-but it's always good to get away-but you definitely get a fine appreciation of how wonderful home is! Love your finishes-the Quaker heart pinkeep is gorgeous and my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. :) :) Thank you so much for my pinkeep. It is so unique and unusual.

    I like to go away but I LOVE coming home again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you had a lovely vacation! Your squares look super! ....is that Neil Diamond I hear why am I hearing "Forever in blue jeans" Vonna is your blog singing to me... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dianne2:56 PM

    Gotta love those family vacations! Sounds like your trip to Lincoln's home is equivalent to visiting Gettysburg or Independence Hall for us Pennsylvanians.
    Cute stitching pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a wonderful family trip. :)

    I love you stitching especially the heart shaped pynkeep. It's gorgeous!

    I've missed you. Lots going on here.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your stitching looks great Vonna. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome HOME : )

    Love your squares!!! and the pinkeep is awesome. What talent GF.

    Enjoy the day : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely stitching as always

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your mini vacation sounds fun-filled!

    Your stitching is magnificent, as always!!

    Michelle

    P.S. I'm hooked on the felt with my Q snaps!! Thank you, you've converted me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great mini vacation.
    Your squares and finishes are Marvelous. Have a good week ,take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vacation! Woo Hoo! Sounds like a lovely time. I was hoping for a picture of Ellie and the hen! I hope you didn't have to work the weekend before and after your trip and that you're not working yourself too hard.
    The make a wish pinkeep and your F&S blocks are great! I've been needing to figure out how to stitch 2008 over 7 blocks, so I'll cheat and use your 2008! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. PS - Mom is going to comment on your blog and ask whether I can claim a piece as being finished if I'm only finished stitching it. She doesn't like that I have a list of 2008 finishes on my blog when none of them (or only a few) have ever been finished finished. Sigh. Feel free to ask her about my afghan if/when she does. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like you had a great holiday, but I do know what you mean about it being nice to be back home.

    I love all your stitching, especially the pinkeep. I love how you have finished the trim on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the sound of sitting round the camp fire at the end of each day. I love to go away but love to come home again even more!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great mini-vacation for you all and very well deserved. Lovely stitching too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful, beautiful stitching as always Vonna:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your stitching looks wonderful as always!! I just LOVE the AMAP heart, I've been admiring it already and it's gorgeous. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher