Monday, December 17, 2007

Quick gift for MIL....

Hello friends....hope everyone is doing fine and fit as a fiddle :) We've dug ourselves out of the snow/ice/rain/snow/ice....frozen mess and everything is in order for the week!

Saturday evening at 11:30 p.m. I had just put the finishing touches of wrapping presents when I said to my DH, "Have you got anything for your mother for her birthday?" He promptly replied, "No, when is it?" Which I promptly replied, "Dec. 19." This gave him a completely terror stricken look...wish he'd look like that when it was my birthday......

So anyway, so ensued the beginning of the following pictures, he asked me nicely and I agreed to make his mother something....I treated myself today some lovely tin shelves from Hobby Lobby for my effort to produce this:


"Home of a Quilter"
Design: a collaboration of many charts from Little House Needleworks
Designer: Dianne Williams
Threads: DMC
Fabric: 28 ct. Buttermilk Jobelan
Finished as: Flatfold
Can anyone guess which charts I used to come up with this? Well.....I'll just tell you straight away...it was the from the freebie chart...Small House and Quilt Time Sampler. I did the arrangement of the motifs myself. I think it couldn't have turned out any better, I really do like just about everything about it. It had been awhile since I've made a flatfold, so I had to think about the finishing and used my own tutorial! LOL!
The backing fabric was from the remnant bin at JoAnn's that I had dug out this summer...just saving for something.....and today was the day!
I'm finishing the final touches of a Crazy Exchange return exchange today and then hopefully I'll get to the exchange stitching I need to finish up/get started on...I have 2 fair and square partners this round and I also have 2 SBEBB exchanges all due the first couple of weeks in January....so I need to get my needles flying, huh?!
Until the next time....may your day be BRILLIANT and your needles FLASHING through your fabric!

33 comments:

  1. Wow, Vonna, you are a WHIZ! That looks terrific!!! Your MIL is going to treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful! I think you did a great job arranging the motifs. I would have never known this was not a purchased pattern. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your exchanges. I still hold out hope that when Becky can get back online that I'll be allowed to join the SBEBB for 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea for a last minute gift! I just can't believe you stitched it all & put it together so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very very nice and special for your MIL .. hope your DH did something special for you *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was a lot of work at the last minute, but it looks fabulous and just perfect for your MIL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous gift for your MIL, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I can't believe you did all that in between Saturday night and now! You must have magic needles or something...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your needles must be flying Vonna! This is great. LOL that you had to use your own tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Vonna, I love how you have re-jigged those charts and made this and the backing fabric couldn't have been any more -perfect. Your MIL is one lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great flatfold! Your MIL should love it!

    (Dontcha just love the remnant bin at Joann's? =D)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautful Vonna! I had a good laugh imagining that look of terror on your DH's face. Men what would they do without us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love what you did for your m-i-l. The fabric is absolutely perfect. I laughed about you needing to use your own tutorial. It's such fun to read your blog and see what you will come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful gift for your MIL. Do you think she'll know your DH didn't stitch it..LOL
    You did a great job on the finish, it's a great tutorial you use..heehee.
    Stay warm and stitch with happy fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a perfect gift for a quilter, Vonna. I'm amazed at how quickly you stitched and finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Vonna hon that is just perfect for her!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Impressive, and did you ever deserve those shelves. Love how you combined motifs to make it unique and personal. Happy exchange stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL! I cracked up when I read your husband’s reaction to “do you know it’s your mom’s birthday” statement, that is so like my husband, and my dad, and my brother… and all the boys I know :D I love what you came up with, it’s awesome, and the fabric you used for the back is perfect. You are a quick stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vonna, I hope your hubby knows he owes you big time! You did a brilliant job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your flat fold is fabulous. Hopefully your MIL really likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I am so impressed and your MIL is sure to be delighted! I can't believe how quickly you put it together! Yes, that look of terror in Hubby's eyes when he forgets his mother's birthday is a classic! Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful gift for your MIL, and all done on the fly like that! I'm totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! You are a speedy stitcher! Your MIL will love it! I know I do! I'll SAL with you on VOHHR! I can't wait to get started! Gonna start pulling threads this weekend. Wish I had the silks but DMC will do nicely!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did a fabulous job melding all of those different charts. I bet she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now that's a quick stitch! It's really beautiful and I am sure that she will really love it too. You did a great job bringing all the designs together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful, you've done great job with this! The backing fabric is perfect of course, it's a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow what a fantastic piece for your MIL. I bet she will be thrilled with it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful gift Vonna! You are such nice daughter-in-law! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a cute piece! Lucky for your husband you were able to whip this beauty up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic piece for your MIL. You did a beautiful job Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a thoughtful and special gift for your MIL, Vonna. She will cherish it always, I bet.
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm amazed at how quickly you put together that lovely gift for your MIL. You are an incredible woman and your hubby owes you big time!! I just love the fabric on it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful stitching! Love the combination of the designs :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher