Wednesday, August 15, 2007

School Starts and other good stuff!

Well the dog days of summer are here and the first day of school!!!
First Day of School August 15, 2007
Every one's ready with their lunches, backpacks loaded down with brand-spanking new school supplies and new glasses!
We walked to school, which we do every day, but boy was I glad we did it today! There were cars and people all over the place. While other parents were trying to find parking spaces, we breezed right in without any problems. Then once the kids were introduced to their new teachers and safely ensconced in their new classrooms, Mom had an easy time walking out and walking home while other disgruntled parents were trying to get out of parking spaces that were blocked by other cars. Yes, made me want to smile real big! I'm glad we're walkers! I'm a nerd when it comes to school and I can't wait to get all the papers tonight and fill them out - emergency forms, school schedules - I love doing it! I already made our family "schedule" for the routine after school and during the evenings. We all sat down and went over the schedule and then signed the bottom promising to keep each other accountable and to stay "on schedule"!
Here's what we came up with:
3:15 - 5 p.m.: free time (play inside or out / *no TV or computer*)
5 p.m. - 6 p.m.: Supper and Baths
6 p.m. - 7 p.m.: Homework
7 p.m. - 8 p.m.: TV or Computer time
8 p.m.: Bed time (they may have their bedside lights on to READ or STUDY only*)
9 p.m.: LIGHTS OUT *no exceptions*
I was happy with the schedule and so were the kids, as this year I'm allowing lights on for reading or studying in bed for 1 hour prior to lights out. Last year it was lights out at 8 p.m., but they are getting older, and I want them to be good readers for it is a love of mine and I know that I sleep better if I read awhile before bed. So this is what we agreed too and signed the schedule and it is posted on our refrigerator for the family to follow. I know that some people probably think I'm crazy, but really with a large family routine is for the best. And it makes us all accountable to each other to stay on task. We do have a footnote that this schedule is subject to change if we have a.) school activities b.)extra-curricular activities c.) etc. Then it all changes, but we have an alternative schedule for these days which is also posted and agreed upon. Yes, a little anal, but it all comes out well for us :)
On to stitchy news, yesterday the UPS man brought me my spool cabinet! I was thrilled with it when I got to see it in real life! It's bigger than what I thought! Here it is:


Oooohhhh...I love it! I went through all my threads and I have every single DMC almost twice! LOL! and the bottom drawer...which isn't open, has baggies filled with DMC skeins that I've picked up during 4 for $1.00 sales at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, that I go searching through when I run out of a color. Yes, it is heaven being organized and I love this cabinet! Plus it's very attractive and nicely built. I would highly recommend searching for it on Ebay. I'd be happy to give you the seller's ID, just e-mail me. It's solid wood and a antique reproduction. The cost was $195 with shipping. Excellent bargain really, especially if you search and see what other thread cabinets are selling for....I love it! At this link HERE is one from VanDykes...I'd had my eye on this one for a long time, but it's quite a bit more expensive and you have to put it together yourself. My husband is good at a lot of things...but woodworking...well, let's just say - NOT his forte! When I saw the one we ended up buying, I told DH about it and he went along with the purchase. So HURRAY for me!
On to my stitching....I've been doing A LOT of it...I've sent my last exchange with the Robin's Nest board, it was a Monochromatic Exchange and it should be arriving any time now to the recipient. Can't wait to show it, I really liked how it turned out. I've finished stitching my Redwork Exchange for the USEBB and the What's the Buzz exchange for the SBEBB. I just have to *finish-finish* them and I've got that all planned. Last night I started my Seasonal Exchange for my partner. The season was Summer...and it's coming along. In fact...I may get the stitching done on one of the pieces today if I'm lucky and then I'll just have the second one to start and finish. So I AM stitching, just can't share anything as yet. Well this is quite newsy and if you're still reading you're probably thinking STOP, so stop I will! Have a great day! Until next time....

50 comments:

  1. Ah, back to school time. I love filling out paperwork, too, so we can be weird together! I think making up the schedule is a great idea. That way, everyone knows just what they're doing, and there's no whining ("when can I play on the computer?!"), I know that's what would happen in our house!

    Your house must seem empty with only you and Ellie! Whatever will you do with yourself (haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids look so darling!

    And I love that floss cabinet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the off to school picture. My mom did that for us when we were young too. Spool cabinet is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah the first day of school :)... I think making a schedule is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a schedule is a great idea! Wow school starts early by you! I just love the pictures. Congrats on the new piece of furniture....I'd love to be that organized!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Back to School time for you! Wow, your kids go back early, early, early!! Around here they go from around Labor Day (or a few days before) until about June 15th

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Vonna - I was such a geek growing up, I really loved to read. My parents used to catch me after lights out under the covers with a flashlight reading my latest book. For punishment they'd take the book away from me for a day or 2. That's when I got into the habit of reading more than 1 book at a time!

    I absolutely love your spool cabinet, and was so jealous until you posted there are others available. I'd love to have the seller's information!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 4 year old "reads" for awhile between bedtime and lights out, too. I say "reads", because she can't actually read yet, but she'll tell stories based on the pictures. It seems to help her wind down from the day.

    Love the schedule idea...I'll have to file that one in my mind and bring it out someday when the kids are older. Right now, one is 4, the other is 9 months...I kind of just do what they need, when they need it, especially with the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vonna,

    Your children are so adorable (I'm sure they'd love to hear that!), but they are. They all look so sweet! My oldest starts school next week. We got some supplies - new backpack, shoes, etc. I think I'm more excited than him, in fact I know I am. I didn't volunteer last year because of Matthew being so tiny, but I'm definitely going to this year. Thank you for your very kind comment on my blog. I haven't made it to the store yet, but I will today and hopefully get the tin out to your tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. your floss cabinet is great!! I bet it was fun getting it all organized! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww that picture of your kids is just adorable! I hope their first day back at school went well. Schedules are a good thing. Do you get the TV show supernanny over there? Schedules are always her advice!
    Love the spool cabinet. Must be nice to be organised

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your schedule and the reading idea is wonderful! Glad you had such a good first morning of school. I bet Ellie is missing her brothers and sister.

    The cabinet is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the cutest picture! I can't believe it's back to school time already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vonna they all look so cute! I'm not with ya on the filling out of the forms-I hate that! I usually complain all the way through. High school is the worst-they have forms for everything! Love your schedule-and as the almost-surviver-of-four-kids I say hear hear!!
    My kids are walkers too, and this year I only have one left in elementary school, so instead of them walking home together, I will be picking her up everyday. I'm actually looking forward to it! A little exercise everyday will be good!
    LOVE your spool cabinet!After trying to store DMC several ways I am back to winding them on those little bobbin cards. I think I will start scouting ebay for a cabinet too-it is TOO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely LOVE the cabinet! What a lovely way to keep your threads organized!

    What a perfect schedule for the school year! Your children all look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the after school schedule that you have, it's giving me some ideas. That cabinet is just gorgeous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute! school picture. I love the spool cabinet. You didnt waste anytime filling it up, did you? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy first day of school! I do miss that .. but wow, your kids go back early! Our kids don't go back until after Labor Day. I love schedules! There are 6 years between my boys, but we always had schedules .. and reading time .. and play time! When my kids were in school, they had soo many friends that had to come right home from school and do homework .. I always believed in some down time before the homework :) Enjoy your paperwork tonight!

    Love the spool cabinet! great find!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bright, eager to learn! Ahh, the youth today! I hated going to school, until my senior year! haha
    How close do you guys live to school? My boys take the bus. Ellie looks alittle sad, give her a hug for me!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE Katie's new glasses! I noticed them before I read that they were new.
    The first day of school! How exciting! I hope they're home, telling you about their day and you're busy filling out papers!
    I think the schedule is a great idea.
    I look forward to seeing all the exchange pieces you've stitched.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oops! So much news I forgot some of it! I love the thread cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The kids look so cute and ready to go back to school! I like the schedule-it is great. You want to come fill out my kids school papers-LOL. They go back on Monday. The floss cabinet looks wonderful-great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wowie, what a lovely picture of your brood, Vonna. I hope they're all as rule-crazy as you are. Made me itchy all over just reading about it, but I suppose you do need a routine such as this to keep some form of peace and quiet in your busy household :o) And you like filling out forms too!~Can you by any chance come over and do some of mine?

    I LOVE your floss cabinet. Much better than an assembly of Ikea drawers :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Vonna, I just want to hug and kiss all of those adorable kids of yours!! Back to school!!! Oh...it's so sweet to see them that way. They are darling.
    Love what you did with your spool drawers. I just hate missing that one DMC color and having to get up and search around through my stash for it!! Organization helps so much.
    You're the best!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, I remember back to school time, the smell of new school supplies. . . well, it's back to school time in my house now, but my daughter is now 20 and my stepdaughter is 19, just not the same. I love, love, love that cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the fact that you walk your kids to school, what an awesome time to bond! And the schedule sounds great. You are alot like how I want to be as a Mom : )

    Your thread cabinet is absolutely gorgeous!!! *drool drool*

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. The picture is great! I always love taking that 'first day of school' picture...

    So... that's how you get so much done! You are organized!!! I think it's to late for me now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It was back to school day here, too. It seems so early, though, doesn't it? It looks like you have come up with a great schedule for all to agree upon :) And, I would be right there with you on looking forward to the paperwork thing!

    I love your floss cabinet!! It is much bigger than I expected, too, based upon your previous pic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The kids looks already to face the challenges up ahead!

    The spool cabinet is wonderful and looks real sturdy :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful picture! Happy first day of school to you all :)

    Super floss cabinet, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Back to school, wow your kids go back a lot earlier than ours. Most go back the day after Labour Day although some of the french schools start a week earlier.
    I love that spool cabinet! You've got me checking out ebay now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely spool cabinet. Your kids look ready to go back to school.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a lovely picture of your children :)) A woman after my own heart...I have always had a (flexible) routine for my 2 as I think it gives them more security to know what to expect and it teaches them self disipline and about time. We have a similar routine for after school hours but we HAVE to do the homework as they come in otherwise they will not do it and we have tears and tantrums!! Bedtime in our home is earlier on school nights too 7.30pm for sleep by 8pm where possible but mine are younger than yours. It took my DS so long to actually sleep through if we'd had no sort of routine I am sure I would still be battling with that. Now...lol...my own routine and self disipline are another story since I got this laptop ;-))

    I love your floss cabinet, very good buy :))
    Enjoy the rest of your week!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely picture of your brood heading off to school. Ellie will probably be lonesome for a few days without her big brothers and sister. But, more stitching time for you. I am green with jealousy over your beautiful cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the first day of school - because I love routines so much, and new school supplies, and always loved going back to school myself! Nothing better than a freshly sharpened pencil! I sound very freaky! I think your routine is great and your new floss cabinet is to die for...again that order and routine...awesome! Of course there is nothing better than an occasional random spur of the moment occurence just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ohh, I love first day of school pix, and yours are adorable!!! We have a school routine also, I think it's so important and makes everything go smoothly. I have to stay organized, and I only have 3!!! Love, Love, Love your cabinet! (I love it even more with all the floss in it!) Congrats to you :) Can't wait to see what you've been busy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The kids looks ready to go! My kids are looking forward to starting school again too.

    Love the floss cabinet

    ReplyDelete
  38. Vonna your children are darling! Sounds like routine works for you, and that's what's most important. I LOVE your chest, it's so unbelievably gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a lovely floss cabinet, and I know you must be enjoying it very much.

    Your kids are just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congratulations on getting everyone ready and back to school in such an organized fashion. :) They all look so cute! And I love your new cabinet. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm back to work, too (I'm the pres of our local teachers' union after being in the classroom for 22 years), and I think I'm just sad summer's over. Vonna, I wanted to let you know I used your flatfold tutorial, and it was great. Good pics, clear directions. I posted about it on my blog and linked back to you. Thanks for putting it on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a cute photo! My kids went back to school almost on the same day, 14th :)

    The floss cabinet is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Cool floss/spool cabinet, that is SO cute! I have never seen one of those before. My daughter is just like me, she likes to read books before bed too :) It helps us wind down.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Vonna,

    What a nice picture of your children. Thanks them with us. I think your hashing out a schedule and having their input and then having them agree by signing is a wonderful idea. It makes for a smoother transition from summer vacation to school.

    Your floss cabinet is great. It really holds a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great picture!!! I like your schedule - I'm a lover of planning too and have been racking my brain at Ben's school week schedule and you helped me greatly. I might just adopt yours - I like the computer/TV time pushed later rather than in the afternoon. Thanks for the tips. Hope the kids like their teachers this year!
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  46. The kids look adorable ;) Does the little one wish she was going to school too?

    I adore your little cabinet! My dad bless hiom built me a lovely one to put all my thread and fabric in :) I love it - it IS good to have everythign close on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I can't believe your kids are back in school already. I'm taking this week off work to spend with my DS, before he goes back to school (2nd grade) next week.

    I *LOVE* the spool cabinet. I blogged about wanting one a couple of weeks ago, after I saw one at an antiques fair. When I win the lottery, I'm going to buy one - of course, I need the house for it to go in first :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love the cabinet, what a beautiful piece of furniture to house all your threads.

    It's always a great idea to have spare thread. I buy my most used ones when they are on sale too.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Ohhhh, I love that "off to school" picture. :-)
    OMG...I want that spool cabinet (so bad)! It is absolutely beautiful, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher