Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Harmien's Birthday

Hello Everyone! Last week I mentioned some Tra-la-la-la-la-ing had been done around my house because I had finished something very special. Well today I get to share it with you all :)
First I want to set up the gift. Last year around this time, I became a member of Cyberstitchers. I was so excited because I'd always looked at everyone's lovlies posted over there and thinking what a good time I could have if I were a member and one day my wish was granted :) The next couple of days I got random comments from people commenting on my projects I had listed. Then on about the third day, or so I got this comment from a lady named Harmien. I replied to her comment saying "thank you" or some such thing and lo and behold I immediately received another e-mail from her. This one was "chatty" so we started firing e-mails back and forth the whole morning. And so we became internet buddies and a start of a lovely friendship. Harmien introduced me to blogging because she had a best friend Annemarie that blogged. I learned about the Stitching bloggers webring and about two weeks after I found out about blogs, I started my own, "The Twisted Stitcher". So Harmien had opened a world unbeknownst to me :) Who would have thought that so many talented ladies did the same craft that I craved doing....nobody around me liked doing cross stitch! And the things I have learned......So when it came time to think about choosing a gift for Harmien's birthday, I tried to make it magnificent. Because Harmien in my book....YOU are magnificent. And although dear friend, I will probably never meet you face to face, you are always in my heart. You, I am proud to call friend :)

Ok, as An says...enough with the emotiona "dribble" .... now, on to Harmien's present....I looked and looked through my patterns and nothing seemed "magnificent" enough until I remebered a pattern by Ellen Chesser (*I think*) of "Cherished Stitches" entitled Muscat Blue Sewing set. It had been featured in a late fall Just Cross Stitch Magazine last year. Now I couldn't find a Nantucket basket like they had for the set, but I came up with my own thing. Here's my final outcome:

Inside of "basket" padded bottom
The Muscat Blue "Basket" (outside) - I lined a paper mache round box with navy material and lined it with an antique styled cherub material, I made a round tube and put a draw string in the top with lovely cording and big tassles so that Harmien can close it off to keep her project on the inside. I glued my tube around the inside of the box and made a padded bottom (see 1st picture) and then put pretty white cording with gold beads glued around the padded bottom.

Fob Front

Fob Back

Scissors case Front w/ Fob


Scissors case back w/ fob



Here's the whole Muscat Blue Sewing Set


Harmien received this yesterday actually a couple of days after her birthday, but believe me that was good enough for me :) I sewed my little fingers to the bone to get it mailed by last Wednesday, so the good 'ol postal service came through for me, I think its wonderful that she received it just 6 days from when I posted it!


Happy, Happy Birthday Harmien...I'm so glad that you liked what I picked out for you, I was more than a little worried that it wouldn't turn out perfect for you, and although it's not perfect, I did my best and I think its passable. Thank you for being my friend!

Many hugs to all my readers :) Thank you for visiting and come back again. Until next time....

51 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gift to give your friend. I'll bet she is thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous set! I'm sure Harmien is thrilled - you did a beautiful job! You're so creative with your finishing, it's all wonderful :)

    (BTW, Cherished Stitches is Louise Henderson :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous set! If she ever gets bored with it, it sounds like she can rent it out to any of us. Excellent finishing job!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told you before, Vonna, it's fabulous, and I know Harmien was just speechless when she received your wonderful present. I hadn't seen the pics of the inside yet, and they took my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder you were tra la la la-ing, it is a magnificent gift you have made for Harmien. I love how you came up with your version of finishing it as it looks fab. Good on you and I bet Harmien has had the best birthday this year with all her gorgeous treasures she has got from her friends. I'm really pleased for her as she sounds great :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sentiment, stitching and finishing are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Vonna, that is a fabulous set!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is beautiful! I am sure she was overjoyed to receive your wonderful gift.

    Also THANK YOU for commenting on my house! You made me feel alot better. I was starting to panic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's absolutely stunning! What a special gift :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vonna, that is a stunning set. I know Harmien loved it. You do beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One word, GF!!!! AMAZING!!!
    Congratulatons :)
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vonna:

    Oh you have some magnificent finihses here!! How pretty! You seem to get so much done! Thank you so much for your nice comments in my blog! I am trying hard to get my house done and on to my round robin Yikes!! Time is going quickly. You have really touched your stitcher friend's heart it looks like!! Debby :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful gifts for your friend! You make such gorgoeus things Vonna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vonna, this is a beautiful well thought out gift for Harmien. You are incredibly talented!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning doesn't even begin to describe it, Vonna!! As you can tell from all the other comments, your talent and generosity come shining through in abundance!! Thank you, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello Vonna dear, I do agree with everyone that you have absolutely outdone yourself again!! What a GORGEOUS set!! I have this issue of JCS and really admired this when it came out. You have finished it so beautifully and I know that Harmien just loves it! What a nice treat and special tribute to a friend who has blessed you.

    Thank you for your comments on my blog yesterday and today! I have not been a very good commenter on your blog lately but have been reading every post. :)
    love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous finishing & stitching. Isn't the internet wonderful?!?!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely thing you did for your friend. The stitching is just beautiful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are amazing Vonna!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Such a beautiful, gorgeous gift that I know Harmien loved!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is just beautiful! What an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vonna that is so wonderful! What a lucky friend Harmeine is!! Your finishing is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did a great job Vonna, what a great friend you are to make such an awesome gift for Harmien. I just love this set, how unique. TFS and I love seeing all the different things you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vonna, you are getting way too clever!! What an excellent set you put together for Harmien! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful story. I think the gift you stitched for her is a treasure - as is your friendship with each other! Congrats on a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just gorgeous, Vonna! You really outdid yourself with Harmien's gift. Its a wonderful present for a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just stunning, and you should be so psyched!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Vonna this is outstanding work - just gorgeous!! I'm sure Harmien was absolutely thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful gift! You did an amazing job on everything. Harmien is one lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Vonna,
    It's just wonderful! What a sweet story too. :-) I'm sure Harmien is thrilled to bits with such a wonderful gift, who wouldn't be! :-) You are so creative!!
    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Okay, Vonna, it's official. I'm going to start sending my pieces to your for finishing! :D Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ohhhhh ~ I want that! I would settle for a tutorial on that AMAZING round box (hint, hint :D).
    Vonna that has to be one of the most beautiful Sewing Sets that I have seen. Harmien is truly a lucky woman to have such a wonderful friend (and awesome gift)!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a wonderful present...it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow!! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a special gift! Your work is truly magnificent! Thank you for sharing such an inspirational project.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful gift you made for your friend. The colors are so nice and each piece you made more perfect than the next!

    Thank you for you comments about the new kitty in my life. I liked your story about your grandma's kitty Diddle Red! So cute. I have decided to call my new baby Purrcy. As soon as I pick him up and cuddle with him, he purrs so loud. He is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, it's no wonder Harmien was speechless - that is one exquisite set!! I have to admit I bought that JCS magazine just for that one, so it's lovely to see your finishing of it :D It's wonderful to share the story of your start in blogging too :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awwww wow that is sooo wonderful and gorgeous. You look liked you worked so hard on all that!! A treasure to keep forever I'd say. What a special person you are!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. What an amazing gift to an amazing friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. SOOOO beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. All I can say is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely gifts you've sent to Hamien!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a beautiful finish and what a lucky friend! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I was hesitant to enter the blogging world and you have helped me feel welcome.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow awesome work! Your did a beautiful job! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What beautiful gifts! Harmien is a very lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is stunning! Wonderful job. Thanks for keeping up with my blog. I've been a little long winded lately but I will post photos this weekend. Thanks for your warm thoughts they mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Gorgeous sewing set you made for Harmien. I am sure she is thrilled. She is very lucky to have a friend like you Vonna.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow it is gorgeous, you did a wonderful job on the finishing of it. What a great present to give, I"m sure she was thrilled when she opened it.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  49. What an amazing gift to give!!! Truly a labour of love.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh what a wonderful gift!! Your stitching and finishing are gorgeous as always, Vonna! Your blog is so wonderful, full of beautiful stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am sure Harmien will treasure that beautiful gift forever. It is just so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher