Wednesday, March 21, 2007

RAK'd by Donna!!

Hello Everyone and Happy Hump Day!!
First off: Do you know Donna? You really need to go over and check her blog out. She's got a super personality and it shines throughout her posts :) She recently was asking on her blog if anyone knew which designer did the freebie "Groundhog Day" because she really liked it. Well I happened to know it was Waxing Moon Designs and I had it so I snail mailed it to her a week or so ago. No biggie - just wanted to help out a fellow stitcher. Well you can imagine my surprise when I went to the mailbox yesterday and found this:
It was a Random Act of Kindness from Donna because I had taken the time to send her a pattern that she asked about...isn't that sweet? She sent me a cute little kit called "How Does Your Garden Glow?" It has litte fireflies all along the top...CUTE! And then she sent me a piece of linen and the Marchblows Snapper from Bent Creek! WOW! Sure wasn't expecting anything like this and it was so darn nice of Donna to do that for me. Go on over and give her a "Howdy-doo!", she's a sweetie :)
Next Up: Home of a Needleworker ~ Here it is in all it's glory....I'm still kind of up in the air about the looks of my changes...but I think it will be ok once its all finished. *maybe*...

Designer: Little House Needleworks Fabric: 28 ct. evenweave

Threads: DMC as charted

Changes: instead of the alphabet I put "When this you see..." and then Prov. 31:13

The little flower with leaves on either side of the sayings....is from another Diane Williams pattern from long ago....and I stiched 1 over 1 on those flowers and the Prov. verse.

Then I started:

Designer: Hillside Sampling ~ "Be You To Others"
Fabric: 28 ct - Antique Lace linen
Threads: DMC as charted; stitching 1 over 1

I don't know what it is about this sampler....honestly, I really don't but I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it from the Nashville releases. I'm going to be putting a picture up in my sidebar hopefully of it soon...but I just really *really* love it. Some of you may be asking what's up with all the 1 over 1? Well I have found a new stitching friend inSusan. She is a stitching wizard and stitches the majority of her things 1 over 1. Her things are *Beautiful* I mean...wow!!, (as I wipe the slobber off my keyboard). You really need to go on over and give her a "Howdy-doo" too! So anyway, I found Susan's blog, or she found me, and then I went to hers :) ... and I was reading and looking at all her projects and they seemed small and so beautifully delicate...so I just brazenly e-mailed her and asked her if she stitched over 1. She kindly e-mailed me back and then we got to e-mailing and I found out her secrets ;) and off I went...thinking I could do the same thing......See the problem was: I was stitching over 1 with 2 threads...this, I felt, didn't allow the thread to "lay" right...and when I got done I always thought it looked sloppy. Well Susan told me she did it using 1 thread...well....so...
Now some of you may be thinking that "Hey I do over 1 with 1 thread all the time" and probably most do, however I asked at my LNS a couple of times do you do over 1 with 1 or 2 threads, they always told me 2. So I "thought" that was the way to do it....
But let me tell you ~ since I've been using 1 thread, I've found it to be: ECONOMICAL! WOW....you sure do get a lot of "bang" for your buck on overdyes, etc. and EASY!!! WOW!....I've never had so much fun stitching over 1 before!! So my best advice is: "give 'r a try"!

Well I guess that's all the foaming at the keyboard I have today....hopefully soon, I'll get some more stitching done and I'll have more to show! An exchange piece goes out this week...so I'll get to post about that sometime next week. Until the next time, {{{BIG}}} hugs my friends!

28 comments:

  1. Home of a needleworker is coming along nicely. I like the changes that you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great gifts your received! Home of a needleworker looks great, i like your changes. Ive never stitched over 1 but i'll keep your advice in mind should i do it in future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really surprised your LNS suggested 2 threads, unless you were stitching over one on 22ct or 25ct - weird! Lovely progress on Home of a Needleworker - your changes are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching looks great. I love the Easter Parade, I am a big blackbird design fan. That one will go on my to do list. I enjoyed you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty gifts - I will have to go visit Donna's blog :-) Now, I thought Groundhog Day was by Bent Creek, or is that a different freebie? I just saw it in Lelia's blog recently.... Anyhooooo.... love your stunning WIPS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home of the Needleworker looks great...I like a lot the changes you've made :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely progress Vonna :) I love the changes you made-they work so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good :D And what nice gifts, how fun. I am not brave enough to try over one yet, but I am starting to think about trying it, does that count? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet gift!
    I love your changes to Home of a needleworker! It's looking so wonderful. I've fallen a bit further behind due to my week away.
    Looking forward to following your progress with your new start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vonna,
    Thank you for the lovely comment. You didn't have to brag but, I'm glad you did! haha:) I love stitching 1 over 1. So tiny, but petite. Hope you are having a great day!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Needleworker is coming along nicely, you're a brave one with all those lovely changes!

    Try 1 over 1 you say...hmmm...might give it a try, save on loads of fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet to recieve those lovely gifts from Donna. You wip's look great-I really like the changes in your LHN piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Over one with one is also nice because you don't have to railroad to get your stitches to lay flat! LOL! I am SSSOOOO lazy!

    Great projects and wonderful RAK, though the Groundhog Day freebie I am familiar with is from Bent Creek .... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, you are to funny!! I told you that over one was adictive!! I love how your LHN is turning out and your RAK is great!! I owe you an email tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vonna I really like how your LHN piece, with the changes you've made,is coming along.

    You make "over 1" sound fun! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vonna, I just love your personality! You make me laugh with your expressions (foaming at the keyboard) :) and I love your heart for others and your generosity. Home of a Needleworker looks fantastic. Glad you arehaving fun with the over 1 stitching! Lovely gifties from Donna, too, that was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your project is coming along really well. I like it more and more. that was sweet of Donna! Gonna have to check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What lovely and thoughtful gifts from Donna! :-)

    I love your Home of a Needleworker and I just love Hillside Sampling's Be You To Others... It's on my Wish List! :-) I can't wait to see yours stitched over one... My eyes would be crossing for sure if I tried to stitch something that large over one! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. How sweet of Donna to send those to you. Its nice being able to help out a fellow stitcher. Your WIP are coming along nicely too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've done one over one with my Britty Kitty and Puppy Ornies and they turned out very nice! I love your work on the Needleworker!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How sweet! Your Needleworker looks great!!!! Love the over one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your progress on "Home" is looking great. I like your changes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your LHN piece is coming out very nicely. Yes, I think Susan is the queen of one over one for sure. I like the look of one over one, but I feel like I am still a beginner, so I tend to stitch with small charts to keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Vonna, isn't it such a lovely surprise to get RAK'ed... I find the stitching community is so generous!

    Wonderful progress on both projects, I love stitching over one from time to time as well! It just looks so delicate. And well it really impresses non-stitchers! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now you can correct thefolks at your LNS! ;) Very nice of Donna to RAK you like that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Vonna: I had an awesome time catching up with your posts on your blog this a.m. Over 1 stitching with two strands? Not.

    Your LHN is looking GREAT!!! Beautiful box : ) And I think your Easter Parade is coming along nicely. I'm not quite ready for Easter!!

    Enjoy the day

    ReplyDelete
  28. You sure know your stitching. I am sure you were surprised. I mean the RAK must have knocked you out, figuratively spoken. I am happy D made you such a surprise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher