Monday, February 26, 2007

Update and Farewell

Here is my update for the week on Home of a Needleworker. As many of you have stitched this or are in the process of stitching this...you can see I changed the pattern a little ...I centered the verse, "When this you see remember me" where the capital ABC's were supposed to go...I think I'm going to add some flowers/vine to both ends of the verse either using the Stitcher's prayer motifs or Joy in the Journey motifs..haven't decided yet... but I am pleased with how the verse turned out and its look.
That's all the stitchy news I have today and won't be posting for awhile.

Finally, I have a farewell to say. My Uncle Stan passed away this weekend from a long battle with Lymphoma. He was my grandmother's fourth child ~ all four boys. The baby of the family, he is was more reserved than my father and my other two uncles. He was a Veterinarian and was well loved in my hometown and surrounding community. He was the head Veterinarian at Mesker Park Zoo in Evansville, Indiana for many years. He loved all animals and many times stayed up all night to help ease the pain and fears of his many patients. A kind-hearted man he nursed animals of all varieties. I can remember as a little girl, he had a pet deer that had been injured by a car that someone brought to him. My Uncle lived in small woods and he nursed this animal back to health at home. He released the deer once recovered but the deer would come back every time my Uncle called out from the porch of his home. He had a little miniature donkey named Corey that had been kicked out of the stall by his mother at birth. The farm that raised these miniature donkeys brought the tiny injured donkey to my Uncle. He nursed Corey back to health, but the farm didn't want Corey, so my Uncle put him up a little yard barn and fenced in area at his Vet Clinic. You'd pull into the driveway and yell "Corey" and he'd come "Hee Hawing" out of the yard barn. What a wonderful, wonderful man my Uncle Stan was. He touched many lives both human and animal. He will be sadly missed by many people, but most of all my family.
Goodbye Uncle Stan, we all love you! Rest in peace.


Dr. Stanley Epperson
1954 ~ 2007

36 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss Vonna. You wrote a lovely tribute to your Uncle - he sounds like he was a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((vonna)) Take care. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, Vonna.
    Hopefully the happy memories you have of him will be a comfort to you.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your uncle sounds like such a wonderful, giving man. He'll leave a large gap in the lives of many. Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big hugs, Vonna. I am sorry to hear about your Uncle. I love the changes you've made to Home of a Needleworker, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a touching tribute you wrote to your uncle. It sounds like he had a full life though he was still young. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:04 PM

    So sorry about your uncle - I lost my 35-year old S-I-L to lymphoma 18 months ago - she was a wildlife biologist - another animal lover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your uncle sounds like he was Dr. Dolittle in the flesh. What wonderful memories you have of him. My condolences to you and your family on his departure from this earth. He will live on forever in your hearts and in your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sympathies to you and your entire family as you mourn the loss of this wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((hugs))) I am sorry for the loss of your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about your uncle. Lots of good thoughts and prayers!

    I really like your changes to Home of a Needleworker, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like he was a very caring man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vonna- I am sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, I'm sorry for your loss Vonna. It sounds like your uncle was a neat guy and will certainly be missed.

    Your LHN project is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry for your loss, Vonna. Your uncle was quite a caring man. My sympathies are with you and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry Vonna {{{hugs}}} - he looks like he was a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry about your uncle. I didn't know him personally, but I recognize his name from having worked in a veterinary office in the Evansville area back in late high school and early college. My mother still works part time for a vet in Evansville...I'll have to pass this along to her, if she doesn't already know.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry to hear about your Uncle. It sounds like he lived a rich and wonderful life, I hope you and your family find peace. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vonna, I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The WIP is looking great & sorry for your loss. Uncle Stan seams to have left a lasting imprestion on you and may he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry for your loss Vonna {{{hugs}}}} What a lovely tribute to your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a very special Uncle! Very sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  24. {{{{{{Vonna}}}}}}

    Such beautiful words you have for your uncle, he must have been a good man.

    Your Home of a Needleworker is looking terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ((((hugs))) What a beautiful way to say good-bye to Him...

    ReplyDelete
  26. God bless and hugs to you Vonna on the passing of your uncle. My goodness he was a year younger than my hubby!
    Love your stitching progress

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vonna, my heart goes out to you and your family on the passing of your Uncle. Treasure your memories...

    HOAN is looking good!

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Vonna,
    What a lovey beloved member of your family. Now that my prayers are with you and your family.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Vonna,

    I'm very sorry to read about the loss of your uncle. Your tribute to him was lovely and after reading it I can tell what a wonderful man he was.

    Veterinarians are wonderful people. My Dad who passed away in November was a Veterinarian for over 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Vonna, my deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your uncle! I too just lost someone very dear to me, my dearest friend Elizabeth passed away on Feb. 28 of breast cancer. She was a much older lady than I but she was my best friend and like a mom to me. We talked on the phone most every day. It is so hard. I wish they could find a cure for cancer. Your uncle and my good friend will be surely missed by all who knew them.

    Debby :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. So sorry to read about your Uncle's passing :(

    ReplyDelete
  32. So sorry Vonna to hear about your loss of your uncle. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just found your blog through another blogger. I read your article about your uncle and I just wanted to say what a wonderful man he must have been. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So sorry for your loss but what a lovely tribute. You obviously have wonderful memories of your uncle and that is how those who leave this world too soon live on for us.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your Uncle sounds like such a wonderful man, hugs to you and your family for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am sad for your loss. He must have had a golden heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher