Thursday, February 01, 2007

Stitching Bloggers Birthday Club Present Received!

**EDITED**
Please see HERE for my Basket Lid Tutorial. Thanks! ~ all the tutorials are accessible in my sidebar located to the left on this blog ~


Mary Kathyrn e-mailed me last evening to tell me that she received her Birthday present from me. She was my "partner" from the Stitching Bloggers Birthday and Christmas Club, that BeckySC sat up at the end of last year. I made for her a basket lid covered with Prairie Schooler's "Fox and Grapes" design. I stitched this on 28 ct. hand-dyed linen...the fabric dye is my secret recipe that I've blogged about before, you remember ~ the coffee/tea and basting/baking fabric ~ well here is a sample of it in all it's glory! See the rustic "staining" it has??? Well its all in the basting and the baking!! LOL! People I do think believe I'm nuts...but it honestly works well!

Anyway...I stitched this using DMC and I changed a little of the pattern...in that the windows and door frame were not to be outlined...it was supposed to be left bare...I didn't think this looked so good so I used a dark brown to outline them ...I think it looks much better (personally).

Here's a side view of the basket, this was a natural reed basket that I stained myself. I found a really great matching fabric with grapes and leaves on it and made the liner. Then the lid I made out of cardboard and made a sort of "modified" flatfold,with straps that attach to the basket and allows it to be opened and closed. Here's a picture of it opened:

It was a honor to stitch for Mary Kathryn and I hope that she likes her basket as well as I liked stitching for her :) Happy Birthday, Mary Kathryn!!!
I know that I've had a lot of updates lately....well that's all going to end because I've run out of finished products to show! LOL! I probably won't be around very much for awhile until I get some things stitched....but of course I will visiting all of you and seeing the lovely things your doing! I'll make a tutorial of this soon (if people are interested), so that inquisitive minds who want to know can see the how to.
Until next time....thank you for visiting and come again soon!
:)

31 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so pretty! You are amazing! I love all of these fun exchanges you have been doing. I am in the Birthday/Christmas club too.

    I like the fabric you chose, and you stained the basket too? How cool! Yay another tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oopsie!! I meant to say: Vonna, you're my new hero! You make amazing projects. The basket for MK and the tin box are stunning! I just have to add your blog to my reading list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. another master piece of finishing. Wow, you are so talented and your finishing looks great. Thank you so much for doing a tutorial on the tin can. I love it.

    thank for stopping by my blog too, compared to your finishing, the biscornu is a piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Vonna ... Now, I'll have to swing by your new blog with the "techniques"

    Sweet of you to share your talents with the rest of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful basket finishing, Vonna :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:02 PM

    Vonna~Your basket lid is beautiful. You did an wonderful job on the finishing! You actually stained the basket as well~you are amazing.
    Great job!

    Marie ~ timetosew

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vonna! I am just gobsmacked at all these wonderful amazing things flying out of your door. They are all so beautiful! Very lucky recipients! Thanks so much for the tutorials and the welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What an awesome gift for Mary Kathryn - I know that she loves Praire Schooler designs. Your basket turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That basket is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you rock! That basket is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great gift for your exchange person. I am doing this too. So nice to see one of the first gifts which is so pretty (and by my favorite designer-The Prairie Schooler).

    ReplyDelete
  13. That basket is SO lovely!! What a wonderful gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, are you talented. What an awesome box.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the gift you made!!!!! It is absolutely gorgeous!!!! Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning! The visit was very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vonna,

    Beautiful work! The fabric goes perfectly with the PS piece that you stitched.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you do a really great job coming up with these neat finishes! And I thought I was doing good when I learned how to do my own framing... Frames are so boring compared to your pretty little tins and baskets and all the other things you've done!

    I'll have to check out your finishing blog to get some good ideas and instructions so I can start making some pretty pieces.

    Not too bad for a HOOSIER... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness, where you do find the time to get all these pretties done? It's very beautiful Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vonna, the basket is stunning!! What a wonderful birthday gift, it's absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How pretty! I love the fabric! My whole kitchen is done in purple grapes. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a pretty piece! You do such a great job finishing them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out fantastic! I love the way you "dyed" the fabric and would love a tutorial of how you accomplish this. Especially the baking part which I am most curious about. Great job, lovely choice and a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I am so impressed with your creativity! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us and creating the tutorials. I love the PS design you chose to stitch - it is a stand-alone design, or is it part of a set...I couldn't seem to find it. Beautiful piece you made...just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy cow! I would be incredibly excited to receive something this beautiful. You are so creative. Thanks for sharing the tutorial! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your finishing methods are an inspiration - and I hope you don't mind, but I've added your tutorials to my finishing links pages on my blog :) Way to go, your basket is gorgeous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. So what else do you have up your sleeve, Vonna?! Can't wait to see what's next, it's bound to be amazing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vonna, it is simply perfect! You are one talented lady, and I can imagine Mary Kathryn is beyond thrilled with your gift! What an inspiration you are, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just been reading your blog and you have made such beautiful pieces. Wow! Its well impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have made a great job of the basket and I love the linen colour. The PS design you chose is lovely, looking forward to what you may do next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Vonna:

    I just love your basket so much that I went out and surfed the web to find Prairie Schoole Fox and Grapes! Gosh one lady in ebay wanted at least 10.00 for it but I found it for 2.00 plus shipping of about 2.50. Yours is just really beautiful and really took my eye!! That is just so pretty and also thank you for the blog about tea dying. I am going to do that for the Round Robin as I too found the linen that I wanted to be very expensive. Thanks so much and also for your really nice comments on my blog today!! Hugs Debby

    ReplyDelete
  31. Vonna, you are AMAZING! Your finishing skills absolutely floor me, especially when I have no finishing talent whatsoever! LOL. No wonder everyone flocks to your blog, I'm lucky if I get that many visitors! Hee hee... Great stuff, I think I need to start filing those tutorials for me to refer to them when I feel brave enough to attempt something! Brilliant stuff :)

    eileen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher