Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My Partner has received her "From the Heart" USEBB Exchange

I posted my USEBB "From the Heart" exchange on Monday and today Tobie (the recipient) notified me that she received her package! I made her a painted and antiqued paper mache box. Here's what I did: I painted the box Americana Mustard. Then once dry I used an antiquing medium and distressed it to make it appear old and worn. I had looked at Tobie's blog and saw that she subscribed to Country Living ...I decorate in primitive country as well and figured if it didn't work out...I'd keep it for myself! LOL! (no such luck!) :) After that was all dry I sealed it with a matte polyurethane. I was just tickled with the color of the box and the look it had!
Then I lined the box with a complimenting material to the design.

Here's the inside of the box....I also glued some twisted cording around the bottom of the box to make the bottom "pop".


Here's a pretty good picture of the color of the box...see it looks old and antique!

Here's the top of the box. I stitched Glory Bee's "BEE MINE" design on 28 ct. mottled linen using DMC. I used the same white cording to go around the outside of the design then I used a wee little gold cording to go around the design on top of the white cording...I thought that it added some "umpf" to the design top and made it "pop".

I sent along some "extras" too, but I didn't take a picture of them....

SO here's just ONE of 4 projects that I've been really working on and couldn't show! What do you think?! This was my first box finish ever and I think it turned out really nice. It sure was hard to wrap it up in bubble wrap and send it away from home....but it made me so glad because I think Tobie *really, really* liked it! That's why I enjoy exchanging so much, because it brings others joy! Until next time! :)

Today I'm thankful for having stitching friends, inspiration and creativity!

30 comments:

  1. I think it's gorgeous! Absolutely wonderful job, I am sure Tobie must be beyond thrilled :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! How lovely - Tobie is VERY lucky to receive your box it certainly looks like youv'e been doing these boxes for a longtime and not your first - CONGRATULATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great job! I would be hard for me to sent that away. I'm sure the recipient loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The box is beautiful!! I would love to learn how to make a box like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!! Nice work Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job Vonna - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vonna, it looks absolutely wonderful! I am sure Tobie is thrilled :) Can't wait to add it to the Gallery :)
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how CUTE is that? I love the box, and the design you did is adorable :D Wow, it’s big too, that’s nice though, more stitching stuff to put into it! Great job!!! Did you make that box, or buy it like that and paint it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is super nice - you are an awesome lady Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an incredible job you did. Your box is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, that's pretty cool! The coloration turned out fabulous. Great job, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that turned out awesome! I bet she did love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vonna, your box is wonderful! It turned out really gorgeous, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's inspired, Vonna! Where DO you find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, the box is fabulous--wonderful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Excellent box. Lucky Tobie : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful and original idea! I just love how it came out. I haven't tried a box yet, though I love how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're so creative, Vonna!! Excellent exchange idea. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - it looks fantastic, Vonna! What a great job you did with the painting and antiquing of the box. That's just a great idea for these paper mache boxes...I may have to swipe your idea and give it a try.

    I'm sure Tobie was super-thrilled to receive such a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy cow, that is a beautiful box!!! Tobie is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Vonna girl, I've missed you! Congratulations on a LOVELY stitching and finishing job. I can tell that you are very proud of yourself and well you should be! Wish I could come apprentice myself to you, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Vonna!

    Firstly, I wanna say thanks for dropping by my blog! I meant to stop by and say thank you ages ago, but I got caught up, hee hee. And I'm glad my security lady story gave you a laugh, we laughed about it ourselves but it was just so incredulous to me on the day itself. Oh, just an update, the security lady left that week, not because of that incident, but it turned out that she had been posted to another company and she was finishing up the week at my company. The colleague in question whom I helped, told the regular security guy the story, and even he couldn't believe it! Hee hee...

    And the box you have done is GORGEOUS. Everyone has such great finishing talents, I'm jealous! LOL. I'm sure Tobie loves it, it's a great box and would fit lots of stitchy stuff. And the biscornu looks great, but a question from me - what exacty is it?! Does "biscornu" mean anything? I've seen it pop up on a few blogs and I have no idea what it is, hahahaha.

    Anyways, thanks for dropping by, I hope you continue to visit! :)

    eileen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vonna, what a beautiful box! How did you do the cording around the edge?

    Thanks for the comments about Fraggs on my blog, it means alot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Vonna, I *heart* it very much! I'm so glad you shared how you painted the box as I'd love to give this a try on some other pieces and attempt this finishing in the future. Again, it's lovely and I think you did a fantastic job for your first box finish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooh your box turned out fantastic...what a brilliant job you made of it :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is my first time posting on your blog & have enjoyed reading it :) You box is wonderful & what a nice gift for your friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lucky Tobie! You did an outstanding job, Vonna.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Vonna - this is just so lovely. I can't believe this is the first one you have done. Now, my address is;..... LOL!!!!

    It sure would have been hard to part with this one but I am sure you will whip up another one for yourself in your spare time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. You can be proud of yourself, V. I am sure T is thrilled. That box is beautiful. I could never make anything that pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher