Friday, January 19, 2007

Friday's findings....

Hello Dear Readers! Glad you stopped by...sadly I don't have any progress pictures to show you today :(

I've been stitching my little fingers off, but nothing that I can show you...see all of them are for exchanges or gifts or something. So there you go...one day there will be a windfall of pictures and then you'll understand!

I've been busy though! First off - Su asked on her blog if anyone one interested in a tin exchange and I contacted her. Happily Su agreed to an exchange with me. My little brain has been going over patterns and notions non-stop since Tuesday. I charted a pattern using different elements from different patterns and came up with what I believe is perfectly suited to Su. (or hopefully it will be perfectly suited to Su, we'll have to see what she thinks when she gets it AND after the stitching and finishing is done! LOL!) Today, I just returned from purchasing various elements for the finishing for said project. I think I've got a winner! I hope it turns out as well on fabric and with needle as I have it pictured in my mind!

Next Carol invited me to join a new Neighborhood RR! How exciting is that?! I tell you, I've been slobbering over the pictures that I see of others RR's that are Neighborhoods for close to a year now and I'm thrilled that Carol invited me! I'm in a group that is forming with 9 other ladies and I've been working away preparing my cloth and looking for the design for my square on my RR. Yesterday I dyed my own cloth in coffee and tea. And I baked it at 250 degrees and "basted" it with the coffee/tea solution until I got the right "mottled" look that I was striving for....I know this sounds odd, but I read about this somewhere and thought I'd give it a go...actually I've done it before and the results are just beautiful (in my own opinion). See I want to purchase the Lakeside Linens or R&R reproduction linens that look old and antique with that mottled look...but they are so costly and the way I go through linen the cost would be astronomical...so I found linen on the bolt at a local craft store and went to work. Ok so I lied...here is a picture of my coffee/tea stained and baked linen....


This is in the sun....but can you see the mottled look it has?! I LOVE it! Plus it smells good too! Baking doesn't harm it at all...if you flip and baste it every 15 minutes. It was an intensive process, but the result, I felt was outstanding. Also considering that I only paid $16 for a yard of the material, and the deminsions of the fabric was 36" x 36" quite cheap! If you bake it longer...it gets darker, I have a few peices that I did with the longer bake and they look quite good too! My husband laughs and says I pay more attention to baking and basting my fabric then I do any meal I make...well that is most likely very true :)

Well that's about all I have today to share.....work this weekend and snow is supposedly on it's way. The twins have a cub scouts pack meeting this evening with the yearly derby car race. They are foaming at the mouths hoping to bring home a trophy! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Thank you for visiting! And again thank you for all of your comments!

27 comments:

  1. I've dunked fabric in coffee but never tried baking it! What a concept. I'll have to try it sometime! You sure did get lovely results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vonna...my first visit to your blog. I'm enjoying it. Love the baked linen. I've done coffee staining with muslin in the past and I love the look. Yours looks great. Stop over my blog if you have a chance for a look-see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KarenV1:25 PM

    Your fabric looks great! I've done a bit of coffee and tea-dyeing but I've never tried baking before - I'll have to give it a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fabric is beautiful! I love the look it gave it. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vonna,

    Wow, you've been very busy. What great news about your neighborhood rr. That sounds like fun! Will you stitch the same square for each person? Your material looks good enough to drink! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your abric came out just gorgeous. Have fun with the Neighborhood RR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vonna, your dyed fabric looks fantastic! I had to laugh at the comment your DH made. I can't wait to see the picture of your biscornu-it's looks gorgeous. All in all you are doing some pretty wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dyed, baked fabric looks fantastic--it looks as nice or nicer than the expensive fabric. I will look forward to seeing your upcoming finishes and especially the Neighborhood RR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fabric turned out great! I haven't heard of baking it before. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on your fabric! I agree with others that I've never heard of baking before, but I bet it helps set the color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You taught this old dog a new trick tonight, Vonna! How interesting to actually bake and baste your linen - fabulous. :)

    Good luck to your twins and their car race - hope there's a trophy, or two, on your mantel tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fabric looks wonderful! I have never tried dying my own before, and find it interesting that you can bake it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I love your fabric - I never thought of baking it! I can't wait to see it IRL during the round robin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your fabric looks great! So does the baking make it colourfast?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish you much success and patience and enduring enthousiasm to achieve the lovely projects you have in mind. Friendly greetings from a French cross stitcher.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I get to craving coffee everytime I stitch with my coffee stained fabric! You are a busy girl aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your fabric looks really stunning - I don't know whether I'd attempt it myself, my creativity hasn't stretched that far yet ... but yours looks awesome! Look forward to seeing the NRR results throughout the year too :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cannot wait to watch how your "neighborhood" grows over the upcoming year. I too have been watching Carol and Barbara's group thinking how gorgeous everyone's RRs have been progressing. Keep us updated with lots of pix to drool over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your fabric looks rustic. I've tried tea dyed but never the combo or even baked.

    Oh! how exciting to be doing the neighbourhood RR, am doing one too with my local group, taking off in February. I have been drooling over some pieces that I've seen too. Now, I gotta comeback and follow your progress. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Baking and basting....fabric!?! That's another first for me, although I have tea-dyed fabric. My hat is off to you for trying it and the results look fantastic! The new RR sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You go girl! I'm laughing about the baking. i swear, my 'boys' would never let me live it down if they caught me baking linen. When I did some apricot tea dye once, they gave me such a hard time!!

    yeah, go Colts. We live closer to Chicago tho. i'm not a sports fan. When i watch the South Bend news, I see the Colts stuff. When I watch the Chicago news, I see the Bears stuff. For me, it is all good. The boys will watch + we will root for both teams.

    enjoy your RR's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE the way your fabric turned out!!! And the price was definitely right, wasn't it? You go girl! I'm impressed. I'll be back to see your finishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm new to your blog and enjoyed my visit very much :) I love the idea of baking and basting fabric, especially with coffee! It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The linen came out gorgeous! Have fun with the round robin, I love those neighborhood pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Vonna - I'm thinking I should cut and paste your entry to my blog! I've been stitching too but can't show any pictures!

    Interesting experiment with the fabric; it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The fabric looks divine. Can't wait to see how you use it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher