Sunday, December 03, 2006

Visions of Sugarplums and Carmel Corn....

Some people may have visions of sugarplums, but I've been having visions of carmel corn. My dear Grandmother Epperson used to make the BEST caramel corn ever and we always had it on Christmas Day! So this year I decided that I would make caramel corn for our neighbors as a "Neighborly" Christmas present from the Pfeiffer's. I made MOUNDS of it as seen here:



Then I packaged it as seen here:

Then I had my kids put their Santa hats on and take them and our yearly Christmas Cards to all of our neighbors with instructions of saying "Merry Christmas" when the neighbors opened their doors. I think it all went well...I was peeking out the window as they were passing out our gifts and most people looked well pleased to be getting a large bag of homemade carmel corn :D

My family made this Advent Wreath last evening at our church's Family Focus dinner. We had a good time and the live tree boughs make our dinning room smell wonderful! I haven't put one single X in a cross stitched item this weekend. I was so determined that I wanted to get lots of stitching done, but I got this bee in my bonnet about making the neighbor treats early this year, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it and so my entire Sunday was spent doing that. Oh, well, I love spreading good cheer and giving to others so, it was time well spent!

Thanks for the positive comments on my Jedi Robes! You are all a special bunch of people! :o)

EDITED FOR RECIPE: Sorry I should of thought of posting this...but thanks to Glenna's suggestion here's the ingredients:

2 sticks of butter, 2 cups of packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup of corn syrup, 1 tsp. of salt. Melt together and bring to boil on Medium Heat. Boil for 5 mins. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp. of Baking Soda and I added some Vanilla a squirt or two of it. Mix. The mixture will turn a lighter color tan and get very "fluffy". Pour over 8 quarts of popped popcorn in a large roasting pan. mix well. Put the roasting pan full of carmel corn (minus the lid) into a a 200 degree oven for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes. When 1 hour is up, lay out carmel corn on wax paper to cool. Break up large chunks of corn. Enjoy!

MMMmmmm good :o)

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Yummy! Would you please share the recipe for us? It's one of my favorite things to eat, and I've never made it. The counter underneath it is pretty cool also, by the way... What a beautiful Advent wreath--it made me homesick for my childhood church, where the wreath would hang from its (purple?) ribbons, and one candle would be lit each week. You are obviously multi-talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had caramel corn since I was a kiddo - forgot how much I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm--thanks for the recipe. I'll be making that. Sorry for being the enabler of the Christmas sampler--LOL--I've just bought the chart and fabric so far, and figured I'd buy the fibers down the road so it wouldn't seem as expensive as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Vonna,it looks delicious, I might even get brave enough to do this one with the kids, thanks for the recipe.

    Now just think, when you ....finally.... get to sit down and stitch you will have a clear conscience and no guilty thoughts in sight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vonna,

    The carmel corn looks so good! I make it several times when it gets closer to Christmas.

    I haven't been around for a bit because my dad passed away back on the 20th. I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten you.

    Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that is just an awsume idea to do that for your neighboors. Love the Jedi kids too..Cute little guy's
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice idea...I'll bet that your neighbors really enjoyed the surprise treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vonna, that looks totally yummy-I may have to try that! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I can't believe you made all that caramel corn. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off you are truly the Jedi Sewing Master! Those robes are awesome! Great job, if you would've used wool they would be just like in the movies and hotter than Hades. LOL Great job!

    I'm impressed that you made caramel corn for your neighbors. I don't even *know* my neighbors. LOL I love hearing nice things like that. I would never have associated caramel corn with Xmas, but hey it sounds yummy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how yummy~I wish I was one of your lucky neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I'm glad to see someone else celebrates advent too! We light our candle(s) each night at dinner and say a simple blessing as we light them and then read a small advent devotional; such a wonderful family tradition! Do you place a white candle in the center of the wreath(the "Christ candle") to be lit on Christmas day?

    Thanks for the caramel corn recipe--it sounds yummy! And like Wendy said, "I wish I was your neighbor!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:20 PM

    Mmmmmmm, caramel corn. What a great gift for your neighbors!

    My carpets are being cleaned tomorrow and then I'll pull out more of my decorations, including the advent wreath. Can't wait to get it all out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, lovely exchanges you received - and what a sweetheart handing out caramel corn to your neighbours! I have to admit that always reminds me of my childhood ... I might just have to try making some myself - thanks for sharing the recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome - ok, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make some this weekend. Terrific gifts.

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you. Or you may contact me personally at: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher