Saturday, June 29, 2013

St. Augustine...

Well our annual vacation to St. Augustine 2013...
has come and gone. And we had a fabulous, great, good time my dear friends and readers!
To commemorate our annual trips, I like to do a "vacation sampler" and I rely heavily on Nikki of Country Cottage Needleworks for our beach vacation memory samplers. It seems that every year just a week or two before our annual vacation, Nikki releases another darling, beach themed design and it speaks to my heart. This year was no exception. May I introduce:
 
"Surfside Cottage"
by Nikki Leeman ~ Country Cottage Needleworks
copyright 2013
stitched on 28 count Country French Blue Linen
stitched with DMC
 
**instead of stitching "Surfside Cottage" as Nikki designed,
I modified the pattern to commemorate
 our St. Augustine vacation**
 
SSC_4
 
SSC_3
Cute as a button....don't you agree? I'm going to do some searching for a frame....
when stitching on the called for fabric, it stitches up into a 5 x 7 size and I'm thinking I could purchase a frame locally, but if nothing turns up, I'm going to purchase and frame in the one Nikki chose from Crescent Colours, as it is simply cute as can be! And will go perfectly in our beach themed bedroom. (which we painted in colors to resemble our St. Augustine vacation memories...we're ga-ga over St. Augustine! ha ha!)
 
And a FYI (and OK maybe a little enabling) for my fellow stitchers out there...
Just Cross Stitch has released a "preview" of the cover of their 2013 Ornament Issue:
 
2013ornamentissue
 
...and I figure since its released I can point out something to you all...
Do you see that white and blue ornament up there with the birds on it? Well that is the one Nikki has designed this year, and it is the sweetest ornament (although this picture doesn't truly show it off) that I stitched and finished for her. It uses the same fabric as "Surfside Cottages" and I'm going to make an ornament with "St. Augustine Vacation 2013" on the back to remember our annual vacation this year on our Christmas Tree...pretty nifty idea, if I do say so myself! Heck to be honest, we have some family friends that took a cruise this year, and I'm going to stitch one up for them and gift it to them at Christmas so they can remember their "Family Cruise 2013". The little sweet birds look like seagulls to me...it will make the perfect little memory ornament for our tree! So if  you took a beach vacation this year...you need to RUN, don't walk! and get yourself the "Surfside Cottage" pattern, a hank of the beautiful Country French Blue Linen and then get yourself the Ornament Issue and stitch up some memories! :)

And while we are on the topic of memories....
please allow me to share a few candid moments of our perfect vacation!

Nombre de Dios...
we start our vacation each year here at the mission. Every year, we kneel and pray a rosary inside. This year we started praying it alone and during the first decade people started coming in and praying with us. Afterward, Katie counted 12 people that came, joined in and prayed with us! We had the whole place filled! A lady even thanked me for leading the rosary afterward. I know that Jesus smiled at all of us gathered praying in his name together!  It made my heart happy knowing that together we prayed and all the little prayers that went to heaven that day! Beautiful! 
Untitled


El Galeon...
 was docked at St.Augustine while we were there! Keith, my boys and Ellie toured this beautiful ship!
Untitled


Early Morning walks on the beach...
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


The girls saved their money all year....
so they could swim with the dolphins at Marineland of Florida! Look at their little faces! Ellie was so happy!! They got to swim with Roxy for 30 minutes of unadulterated FUN!
Untitled

Untitled


Evening walks on the beach....
Untitled

Untitled


Trips to Old Town...
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


Significant finds on the beach walk adventures....
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

My very, very, very favorite beach front home...
we walk to this house each year and it is exactly 5 miles from our condo to this gorgeous house and back... ahhhh! to live in this house! That'd be near heaven, I'm thinking...
Untitled

Eating out on the water in Tiki Huts....
Untitled

Untitled

And sadly our last evening on the beach...
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

A beautiful vacation...
with my beautiful family. What more could a girl want?!
Pretty much nothing on earth fills me up as much as my family and the beautiful creations God has made. It all comes rushing to my mind when I'm on the beach and you feel the wind blowing your hair, the power of the surf pounding the beach and I just can't help being awe inspired and filled with happiness, knowing how truly and utterly blessed I am.
Thank you God for all your many, many blessings you have bestowed on us!
(and particularly on me!) 
Untitled
 
Until next time my dear friends...
I'll be keeping my hands to work and heart to God, just like always.
(And dreaming about St. Augustine 2014!)
 
Love and hugs,
Vonna  xxx

54 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful times with us. Your stitching is so lovely Vonna. You have great ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fabulous vacation! I haven't been to Fla for many years and your pics make me a little homesick. Lovely stitching and congrats on being 'published'!!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stitching to commemorate your vacation Vonna! So enjoyed seeing your family vacation pics! It looks like you all had a spectacular time! Great memories....

    Have a Happy Birthday and a great 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like much fun and yes, the little cross stitch piece is oh so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great family photos from St. Augustine, Vonna! I've so enjoyed watching your kids grow up through the years :) And your newest finish is a perfect reminder of your favorite vacation spot...Love the little ornament on the front of the JCS Ornament Issue, too. You must be so proud to see your beautiful work on the cover--well deserved, I'd say :)

    Enjoy your holiday weekend with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation with us. You are truly blessed. And I loved the stitching to commemorate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "vacation" piece is just beautiful. Love the linen colour.

    Thanks for the JCS pic, looks like another good one this year.

    I enjoyed looking through your holiday snaps, looks like a very lovely place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous vacation! Love the romantic sentiment your husband made in the sand! I want to go to St. Augustine now!!! Love your stitching commemorations of the trip!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't get over how much the kids have grown. Looks like you all had a great time.
    The cottage is nice too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beautiful place to visit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your beautiful vacation pictures. It looks so peaceful there. Glad you had a great time. I Love how you added the name to your stitching piece. Lovely !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the vacation pictures! Love your finish as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful pictures. It looks like you all had a fabulous time. I live in Miami, but I haven't been to St. Augustine in years. I've been bugging my honey to agree to a weekend away there soon.

    Love your stitched finish. It came out perfect as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your finish and looks like a wonderful vacation!!!!!!! Great family photos :-).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love the colour blue of the fabric so nice. I will definitely have to get the Christmas ornament copy this year, always love their ornaments. Thanks for sharing your holiday snaps, looks like a lot of family fun was had by all

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recognize a lot of those places. LOL

    Your stitching is beautiful and I think that little ornament will be perfect for your tree and one for your family. TOO cute.

    That blue house in the picture ... is it over by Vilano Beach? It's VERY pretty.

    Glad you had a good time in St. Augustine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pattern and your personalization. How cool to have your cute finish on the mag cover. Great vacation photos. My brother got married in St. Augustine and those photos bring back memories. Great little town to spend some leisure time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always you write such wonderful & inspiring posts. Thank you Vonna for always sharing your faith & family with us.

    Glad to hear that once again your had a great time in St. Augustine. What a lovely stitched piece to celebrate your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely vacation photos, and funny, I bought Surfside Cottage also and am itching to stitch it. Such a cutie (as are your darling kids),.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your summer piece is wonderful. Thanks for sharing part of your vacation with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all the vacation pictures! Thanks for sharing!
    Your stitching is beautiful and I really like your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your stitched piece. What a wonderful memorial to your time away. Your vacation looks great, I especially love that you attracted others to your saying of the rosary.
    Looking forward to the JCS Ornament issue. I'm working on a few ornaments for my sister and her family right now and have appreciated your finishing tutorial.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your finish is gorgeous and your holiday photos look fab. Congrats on making the cover of JCS, I will be buying it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how your item is beautiful! Great holiday! and your love for family and God you're right, nothing more in life than to be loved by his family, and love God .... Your girls are gorgeous with this dolphin, and I imagine you with the sea breeze in your hair .... I am happy to see you happy, it warms our hearts! I hope for you the same holiday in 2014, and I hope to be there to see yet all your smiles ... Sorry for bad english, a little French following your adventures and accomplishments of the end of the world
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved to see all these pictures from your family vacation. It seems you had a wonderful and happy time together enjoying all the pleasures of summer and sun and the beach and the sea. CCN's little ornament will be a great memory of this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful vacation. Beautiful St. Augustine.
    I am always excited about the ornament issue!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A beautiful finish Vonna. Love how you have personalised it. Great photos from your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love seeing your wonderful family vacation shots! Looks like you had a good week to head East.... And, your adaptation of the cute ornament is just perfect.... I like how you commemorate the family events with stitching... Stay cool, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fantastic holiday you have all had, fantastic photos to treasure. Your CCN ornament is gorgeous. Can't wait for the Christmas Ornament mag.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love, love ,love your little beachy sampler ! Looks like you had such a wonderful time on vacation . The photos with the dolphins are great ! Such great family memories your children will have . Beautiful ornament on the cover of JCS .. You deserve to have the whole cover with your pretty stitching and fabulous finishing !! Have a happy 4th !

    ReplyDelete
  31. So fun to see your vacation pics, Vonna! Thanks so much for sharing them. Your sampler is so sweet - what a great remembrance. I love the idea of commemorating your yearly vacations like that! Sure looks like you all had a wonderful time - exactly what vacation should be!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I put the first new comment did not work. I said you were lucky and I was happy for you to see your smiles!
    very soon
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like a super family vacation. Am looking forward to receiving the ornament issue.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks and sounds like another wonderful vacation and you chose a fabulous chart to commemorate it! Such a talented lady you are!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful family vacation and so cool to have a stitch to commemorate it. Looking forward to receiving the ornament issue.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks like a wonderful Family Vacation was had by all! Surfside Cottage is pretty cute! And I agree, the birds on the Christmas ornament look like seagulls, and that 's what I would stitch them as! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday snaps and family times Vonna, very treasured memories for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a fabulous vacation, and to swim with the dolphins - wow! I really enjoyed the pictures and I love your little cottage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. My niece went to college in St Augustine at Flagler College, graduating this year with honors. I was lucky enough to get up about twice a year to see her and the town itself. I'll still have to go up when I can, just seems that you can''t get enough of St Augustine!

    ReplyDelete
  40. love the photos of your vacation and how thrilling to be able to swim with the dolphin :) gorgeous finish of your adapted piece and i hope you find the perfect frame for it :)
    and ooooo love the sneak peep of the mag too :) take care and happy stitching :) love mouse xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Vonna, it sounds like a truly fabulous family vacation with many great memories to treasure. I love the ornament you stitched to commenorate your trip. I can't wait for the ornament issue so thanks for the sneak peak! The ornament you stitched is beautiful - CCN and LHN are so amazing! take care, Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great vacation pic's - St Augustine is such a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Dear Vonna,

    I am reading your block for several years and now I have to notice that we are at the same place at the same time. I am here in Palm Coast, Florida, and I know your dreamhouse very well.It's my dreamhouse, too. I have photos from the other side (taken from the A1A). Can you contact me.
    Regards Renate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renate,
      I'd love to contact you, however there is no way I can because you haven't left me a contact e-mail address associated with your name.
      Please e-mail me privately: thetwistedstitcher@comcast.net
      ~Vonna

      Delete
  44. What a great adaptation! And your ideas for the remembrance ornies are terrific! I know your heart was filled by the mission event. How great it must be for the girls to swim with the dolphins. "They" say it is such a calming and soothing pleasure. Always such a pleasure to read your posts. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I just love St. Augustine! I've been there twice for day trips when I was visiting my bestie when she lived in Jacksonville, such a beautiful place to visit! It looks like you had an amazing holiday!

    Congrats on your holiday sampler finish and congrats on making it onto the cover of JCS as a model stitcher! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your vacation sampler is lovely, Vonna. I LOVE the colors.
    Such a beautiful family, vacation and wonderful memories you have!
    Thanks for sharing your special time.
    My rosary is always a part of my day, too.

    Congrats on your finish for JCS cover. I'm looking forward to my copy and seeing your finish!


    ReplyDelete
  47. Sounds like you all had a perfect holiday

    Your seaside finish is gorgeous, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  48. Lovely photos and nice finish and a way to recap your vacation.
    Glad you mentioned the JCS Magazine and made me think. I did not get my preview issue, I will look forward to seeing the ornament issue too.
    TFS.
    Jackie :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wonderful post Vonna, you really have such a beautiful family. Loved seeing all the photos, looks like paradise!

    Adorable finishes as well, you always do such nice work!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love your finish Vonna!! Wow! What a fun vacation for you and your family. Thanks for sharing your photos. I love the little message drawn in sand by your hubby! TRUE LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Vonna, I think I will have to copy your idea as we are heading down to Palm Coast later this month. What a nice keepsake it will be to remember our trip. Thanks for the idea! What a fun vacation you had - will check into those dolphins, too......the kids would love it, just like your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Looks like you had a wonderful time, and the piece you stitched was perfect for a remembrance of it. I can't wait for the ornament issue to come out, I love all their special ornament issues, just got the Halloween one and am making a list of the must does from it.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  53. sister its august. what you working on these days. we miss you out here in cyber space!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you.
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher