Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Back to the shores...

Did you miss me?
Hahaha...I got busy *again*...
And with all the changes in Blogger and losing Google Reader, I'm having a bit of a hard time finding my way. But I love blogging too much to throw up my hands and throw in the towel. I'll find my way and figure this all out soon   :)
Even though I've been struggling with a full schedule, I was trying to stitch through my "busy-ness"....and I finally finished Block 1 of Shores just last evening. And here it is:
 
Block #1 ~ "Shores of Hawk Run Hollow"
By Carriage House Samplings
Stitched on 40 ct. Autumn Gold
Stitched with DMC
 
Shores Block 1
 
 
This close up shows the rocky beach...
with the little rivulet of water there by the seagull's feet.
Can you imagine the rush of the water, the salty spray, the smell of the ocean, the balmy wind blowing against your face?
I can....
Shores Block 1_close
 
And the sun....
well it wasn't supposed to be outlined in black. No, it was to be outlined in a dark orange/rust/brown color. But I have always (for some strange reason) loved the sun in "And It Was All for an Appil" .
So I decided to make my sun outlined in black. I like it!
 
Shores Block 1_sun
 
My shores is a month behind schedule...
I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with my plan, but....maybe I can get caught up in the next couple of months (don't make any bets!)...I should be finishing block two today, rather...I'm just finishing Block one. (My plan was to stitch one block a month...) January and February was the big block in the center (which is blocks #6 and #7). March was block #1 and April was supposed to be block #2....ho hum...
But never~the~less...I've got good looking project going on, here is my Shores to date:
 
Shores as of April 29
 
 
What have we been busy about?...
Well we are getting close to the end of the year, so there has been lots of school programs to attend. I attended Ellie's Musical at school and was able to go back to her classroom where she read me a book and then I got to eat with her in the cafeteria. Here's a picture of us at her desk, that day:
Ellie and Mom
 
We couldn't be more proud of Jacob...
He was awarded "Lunch with the Principal". His English teacher Mrs. Pauley nominated him for the award by writing in her nomination of him:
 
"Jacob is a fine, hard working student in my English class. He is great about getting his work done and turning in thoughtful answers. He doesn't complain if I ask him to redo something to show me better quality work I know he can produce. He is always polite, cooperative, and respectful in class. I appreciate the good role model he projects."
 
Here is in the picture I made him take with his nomination form and winning invitation from the principal:
 
jacob

And Ian has had so many accomplishments of late...
we couldn't be more proud of him either! He won the City of Bloomington's Black History Contest for his age level. Here he is pictured with Mrs. Pauley (who apparently likes the Pfeiffer boys because that is who nominated Jake above!)
This is a photo I swiped from our local newspaper, who reported on the essay contest.

(l - r: Mrs. Pauley, other student, and Ian)
 
Ian


Then unfortunately there has been a lot of injuries, doctor's visits and Emergency Room visits, x-rays and scans in the last 6 weeks. Luckily nothing serious and all were handled...but poor Ellie has been drug from pillar to post (as usual) and she always adapts so well. Here is a photo I snapped of her (with my new iPhone!!)...we were waiting for Katie to get done with her Physical Therapy appointment. We get to go 3 times a week 1.5 hours each visit. Ellie has learned to take lots of activities with her :)

Ellie Office

We took time out...
to save the life of a turtle stuck in the parking lot at Katie's High School. I was waiting for track practice to conclude and I saw something walking along the fence line...stuck...and luckily I had my turtle bucket in the van (I keep one in there for occasions such as these). Katie grabbed it and we took it to the woods by our house. We are sure it will live a full and fruitful life now! :)
The kids and I have saved, I bet 25+ turtles over the past 15 years together! And as much rain as we have had this spring...they are on the move!

Katie Saves Turtle

Ian was a featured youth jazz performer this weekend...
At the "Future of Jazz" concert held this weekend on IU's Campus. Here he is after a long day playing his Sax. He performed on Sunday April 28, and had lots of solo performances. He was fabulous! All of my children are accomplished musicians, but Ian does have a special talent. His picture isn't that attractive as he was so tired (he played from 2 - 7 p.m. -  off and on)....and he had an accident 1 week ago, so there are some scabs on his face....but here he is, anyway, our sweet alto sax player:

Ian
 
Here's his name as it appeared in the concert program:
 
jazz

and here he is in concert during his jazz combo:

Ian Jazz
 
 
And finally...
after three longs months of Sunday driving and classes (starting at 2 p.m. and going until 8 p.m. every Sunday...) Katie passed her written and driving part of Driver's Education this past Sunday, April 28! And she also took the Indiana State Driver's test and passed that too! WHOO HOO! On June 9, 2014 (that's one year and 40 days...she informed me.), all she has to do is go the BMV, take her picture and get her license. Here she is showing her "diploma" from Driver's Education:
 
Katie Driving
 
So, see....
A little busy! But just a little, and one day they will all have flown from the nest and it will be empty and I will be a little devastated ~ but so very proud of the boost that Keith and I have given them to go off and start their own nests. And plus, looking on the bright side, the Granny and Gramps birdies will get to visit, God willing...
 
Until next time my friends...
I'll be keeping my hands to work and heart to God, just like always :)
 
Hugs in stitches,
Vonna  xxx

52 comments:

  1. Wow Vonna you and your kids have been so busy and you have a well rounded family! All achievers!

    Your finished block looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hear ya on being busy right now Vonna. Our oldest, Jacob, is graduating in one month. University in the fall. And we got a new dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vonna,
    I love your color change in the sun. It really brightens up the sun more.

    You must be proud parents. Your children are incredible and each have their own talents.

    The picture of you with Ellie looks great. Have you lost weight?

    Thanks for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I have lost weight, but not in the past two months..... But am back in wagon! Lol!!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on doing the hardest job on earth so very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marly, what a very kind thing to say :) I try hard.... Don't always put best foot forward, but am constantly trying :)

      Delete
  5. So much happening with your kids! You must be so proud! Enjoy all that busyness -- they grow up so fast. Love your Shores!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your update!!! So much news. I have missed you so I'm so glad you've posted. And I LOVE your stitching. That piece is going to look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Shore! Yes, I smell the mist right now. It's not so important when you stitch, it's that you are stitching; right?

    Enjoy the business because you see the fine results everywhere you turn! Congratulations to one and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful stitching and family update! Congrats on all the kid's accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thabnks for the update on your stitching and on your family. I so enjoy reading all the wonderful things you all do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super sweet stitching and very lovely family..
    Congrats to kids x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vonna -- Shores is looking great and I know you will get caught up before you know it. Congratulations to all your kiddos! What great things they have accomplished and wonderful memories for all:)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shores is looking great--the sun change makes it your own.

    Yes, your children are super busy, would you have it any other way? Spent the morning with some children who could use an extra cup of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely would not have it any other way...not at all! :)

      Delete
  13. You must be so proud of your kids. Enjoy this time with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Laurie, I try not to gloat...ha ha :)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful 'Shores' Vonna! You have accomplished so much and are so very gifts on top of which you and your DH have raised some beautiful children. You have been blessed. Thanks for sharing your life. :) Loved reading it all. Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abundantly and mightily blessed :)
      thank you Cathryn!

      Delete
  15. Vonna, what a lovely post! I have not been able to blog in ages as life has caught up with me. Loving your Shores and it has inspired me to get mine started. I am doing same count and colour fabric and same threads as you. Great to see your family all growing up. So lovely to see you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it Hazel...rather stitch intensive but worth it :)

      Delete
  16. Vonna, you are doing a wonderful job and the reward is great. I never regret all the busy-ness of raising my kids. And I'm glad that you have been able to squeeze in the hobby that you obviously love. I regretfully gave mine up and just have not been able to pick it back up again.
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stitching = calgon moment :)

      Delete
  17. Vonna, love your progress on Shores. Love how you outlined the sun. It looks great. I too have to start my shores, I have everything just need to start:) Your family is growing up fast. Congrats to your children on their achievements and well wishes for all. love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  18. So nice your kids are doing so well Vonna. Make the job of parenting appealing when you have good kids like yours. I have friends who are having nothing but terrible times with their teenagers. Your Shores is coming along beautifully. Hope you keep enjoying spring as long as it lasts. Cheers Melody

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've missed your posts. It's so nice hearing all the great accomplishments about your family. You should be soooooo proud. And I understand about not getting as much stitching done as we would like. Your stitching is beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Busy and much to be proud of with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your Shores!! That's in my "I swear I'm doing this next" pile, so it's fun to see your progress!! It's given me the itch to start on mine!! :-)

    Congrats to your kids on their accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So nice to hear about your family and your stitching. We out here in cyberspace are always glad to hear from you whenever you have the time. I echo what everyone else says - the time with your children goes so fast! In the blink of an eye you will look back, and wonder how time passed so quickly. My little baby boy - the blonde toddler who lives in my head - is almost 35 and a teacher, while my little baby girl - a fluffy headed baby in my head - flies all over the world every week. Yikes!!! Enjoy your time with them and hold them close.
    On a stitchy note - I've been working on HHRH, but am struggling a bit with how to put it in a stitching frame. Do you use your Needlework 4 stand for Shores? If so do you use a Q Snap? A large one, or a smaller one with the fabric rolled or such. I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thanks again for writing!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've been super busy! I miss the school activities - my kids are grown. It's clear you're taking the time to enjoy every moment. They really are priceless!

    Block #2 is a quick stitch, you'll be caught up in no time. Shores is looking wonderful (smart to get that big block done first!) and I love the change you made to the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your Shores!!!! Just go at your own pace and I know you will finish it. So happy that all of your kids are doing so well!!!! We miss you up here in Illinois!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always enjoy reading your newsy updates, Vonna! I don't know how you keep up with everything, but you do, and manage to stitch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hiya Vonna,

    I remember yonks ago how you put Ellie in the sink to wash her up after a messy meal ... look at how she's grown to a young lady now! Congratulations on your children's many accomplishments. Says something about their momma! :)

    Lovely stitching ... as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You sure have been busy. You must be so proud of all your children they are all very accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love reading about successful kids, and yours are doing just great! Thanks for raising such fine children; we need more parents like you in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I love your beautiful pictures, your blog it's for me one moment relaxation .... I love your blog
    sorry for my bad english

    bisous from FRANCE

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your Shores piece !Congrats on all your kids accomplishments ! I know you are a very proud mom !

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your children are beautiful, talented, loving, caring kids. Thank you for sharing all of their accomplishments! You certainly have reason to be proud of them!
    You all have certainly been busy! As my grandmother always says to me: "boy, you are so busy. I don't know how you do it all." But we do, don't we? And we don't think twice about it!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great progress on "Shores". Wonderful achievements by each of your children.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Vonna, i am a big fan of your stitches, but i also think your family is great!!
    Congratulations to you all!

    Isabel Maio from Portugal!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, Vonna, you have all been so busy!

    Lovely progress on shores.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So nice to read about your kids again and to see how well they are doing.
    Great progress on Shores. I love the sun in this block, and at the moment even very much because it's the only sun that I can see, lol. The real sun has been playing hide and seek for quite some time and we are hopeful that we can enjoy it one of the next days again.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How nice to see a post from you! I enjoyed seeing your stitching immensely, but the best part was hearing about your kids' doings - what a talented (and downright nice) bunch you are raising. It's a pleasure to read about their lives and to see their lovely faces (scabs or no scabs). I have been working on The Needleworker and thanks to your earlier posted picture I realized that the Khaki Mocha in my chart pack was completely the wrong shade - it blended too well into the linen - and I was lucky and found another skein of it in my stash that was the right color. So thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great to catch up on the kids, Vonna! I love the jazz band--so glad Ian is so involved in it. My youngest played trombone in his jazz band all the way through college! He is now almost 25 and told me he is thinking of taking it up again and finding a small jazz combo to play with :) It is a talent that Ian will have forever... Congratulations to the kids on all of their accomplishements--keep 'em busy and out of trouble, that's what I always say :)

    Your Shores is gorgeous!! What an accomplishment that will be when that is all finished up :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nice to read your newsy post. The kids are certainly growing and changing. Sounds like you have all been very busy.
    Congrats to the kids on their accomplishments!

    Your Shores piece is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Shores is looking gorgeous, great progress

    Congratulations to your kids on all their achievements

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a fabulous post Vonna!! I'm trying to get used to blog lovin...not really digging it, oh well. The Shores is coming along beautifully. It's such an epic stitch! You must be so proud of your kids and all of their achievements! I wish I had kids who were polite to teach. I'm constantly teaching my kids manners...not sure why this seems to be not an important thing to teach kids. I learned at a very young age to be polite and respectful to everyone. At least I can try!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just a little busy? Are you kidding me? Congratulations to all your children on their individual accomplishments this year. They're a great bunch of kids!
    I love the black outlining too! Your square looks awesome and I can picture myself at the shore. I am just in the process of switching over to Bloglovin' so we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you.
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher