Monday, October 22, 2012

Where in the world is Vonna?....

Hello my dear blog readers and stitchy friends!...
Did you think I fell off the face of the earth?! Nah....I just have found that all those wise people in my life who told me 15 years ago that I would be busier when my kids became teenagers were 100% correct. :)

My whirlwind summer of travelling to and fro with the kids, became a hurricane of horrendous activities about 2 weeks prior to the first school bell ringing. We settled in and held on tight as the roller coaster of practices, clubs, activities, games and competitions whipped us around for a good three month ride. We're settled now a bit, and more is sure to be on the way....but that sure is OK, because the good Lord gave me my health and a stout character and we will "git r' done" and be thankful that we can do it together.

Here's a pictorial review of our fall sports activities:

Ian FB

Ian (#72) was lineman this season for the Batchelor "Bulldogs"



Jake

Jake ran Cross Country as a Batchelor "Bulldog"


Katie CC

Katie ran Cross Country for Bloomington South High School "Panthers"


All three big kids...
did great in their selected sport. Ian decided that he will not be playing football again next year. As our "gentle giant" (he's very tall for his age standing about 5' 9" already and yes a 1/2 inch taller than Mom), football sort of trounced on his genteel sensibilities. He is just not an aggressive, mean, "get in there and knock the stuffing outta that jerk", kinda guy. He has decided that he will begin running and train himself for next Cross Country season.

Jake did awesome in his first Cross Country season and he has desire to train with Ian so that he can knock the coaches socks off by next season.

Katie ran her first ever season in Cross Country and just in Katie fashion, totally surprised everyone with her mental tenacity.

All of the kids athletic seasons are over, and today marks the last day of there "two week" rest. Today marks the first day of their training and Katie has it all planned out what they are going to do: she told me this morning that she can't wait to get home from school and run her 40 minute "recovery run" - to which I snorted (delicately, of course). Her brothers will be joining her to train, as well, and I am firming my loins to referee a huge argument once they return from that "recovery run". As typically Katie, always very serious, will get tired of the boys goofing off during the run, so she will begin to lecture and the boys will get miffed and then it will all fall into my lap to sort and soothe. :) Teenagers! and yes....you may have noticed....I am a bit psychic. Not medium potential however...


What has Vonna been up to?...
Well my dear friends, I have been stitching a huge model for Little House Needleworks. I started in June and ended in September. I believe, Diane said, it is the largest pattern she's released yet it is definitely in the large category! Mum's the word, of course, but it will be released sometime next year (2013) and its a beauty! If you are a fan of sweet, simple and Little House....you. will. love. it!!!

What else has been going on? Well, basically 2012 has been a time of reflection and renewal in many ways throughout my life and my family's lives. After living in this home for 6 years, we decided it was time to repaint, redo and reorganize. We started in March finishing the main level, had the summer off and then at the beginning of October we started the upstairs and finished it. After 16 years of marriage I finally feel we have our home *perfect*! I couldn't be happier with how it turned out, how it looks, the purpose of every room. We have cleaned house top to bottom, gotten rid of a lot of stuff we were hoarding. It just feels good!

I also have continued to reflect on my personal self. . . my prayer life, my diet, my health routine. Happily I can announce I've lost 30 lbs and have started jogging/walking (I jog, then walk, then jog, then walk, sometimes I have a heart attack in there somewhere). I don't make it look effortless, like my kids do when they run. No, I look exactly like what I am a 42 year old overweight woman - but I'm trying and I'm doing and that is what counts! I have more to lose, more to focus on but its a constant process and progress - and however small its still progress and that is what it is all about.

So I didn't have much personal stitching to show you this year and well, life got harried. So no blogging... for months and weeks on end....

BUT....
I'm gearing up for another go round of blissful stitching and sharing with all of you! My house is in order, our schedules (though busy are slowing - a bit)  and lets be frank: I've missed blogging frequently, I've missed reading your blogs, I've missed your ideas, I've missed visiting with you...well I've just missed a  lot! I feel like I'm out of the loop. I have ideas, lots of ideas....because when I can't stitch....well I still think about it. I go to my charts and play with them, drowsing and dreaming....what to stitch, how I'd like to finish it. There's lots of stuff going on in my head at all hours of the day and night.

So to kick it off....
let me introduce my latest finish and creation:

Raggedy Ornie

"Happy Hearts"
a complimentary design by: Diane Williams of Little House Needleworks
for the Norden Crafts Spotlight.
The design can be found: HERE - at the link at the bottom of the page
I stitched this one on my own dyed 32 ct. linen with DMC threads as charted

*this ornament will be an exchange piece for a retreat that I am attending this weekend in the Amish Country of Shipshewana, Indiana with the Inspired Needle*

so...this is how I finished it on the back so that the recipient can always remember that she received it at the Inspired Needle Retreat in 2012 and that some person with the initials  VP stitched :)


Raggedy Ornie_back



I must admit....
that I *really* love how I finished this. I didn't really intend for it to turn out this way when I went looking for fabric. I thought it would be a small pillow style, simple ornament with a bow. But I went to Joann's looking for inspiration in the fabric aisles and when I saw this red ticking....well that was it! Because Raggedy Ann's legs are red ticking, right? At least my old Ragged Ann had red ticking legs. So perfection was born! And then I found that great piece of green cotton....and when I laid it next to the stitching....perfect color. And when I was finishing and had it all in mind how I wanted it to look....well it just came together didn't it?! I'll be making myself one of these. :) FOR SURE!

So....
my friends, you will definitely be seeing me again soon. (NO! I hear many of you gasp....not her again so soon...) But I know I'll have stories to share after my four days of utter BLISS stitching with my Illinois stitching buds (whom I have never met, but share a friendship over e-mail). We are gonna party like it is 1999 and we gotta stitch up our stash before the Apocalypse! :) And I bet we will be buying some more stash and pretties just to say we owned them prior to the Apocalypse! Ha....ha....

In the meantime....
I'd like to share a little something that brings happiness to my heart:


Phil, Si, Jase and Willie Robertson
of A&E's Duck Dynasty on Wednesday evenings

People....seriously tune in and have a great time belly laughing for a half hour! Laughter is good for the soul and this show has definitely been good for mine!

Until next time...
I'll be keeping"my hands to work and my heart to God" just like always! Join me....
Vonna xxx


59 comments:

  1. Hooray! It is neat when you are thinking of someone and the next day up they pop on the blog. I know just what you are going through, we have 3 teens ourselves. Our oldest will turn 18 in a few days!! Great stitching and finishing as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to see a post from you ! Yes those teen years are busy ones ! Enjoy them because all too soon its over ! Love your raggedy ann , adorable and finished perfectly ! Can't wait to see the Little House Needleworks piece ! Congrats on your weight loss and fixing up your house ! Hope to see more of your stitching soon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see a post from you Vonna. Looks like your kids are doing really well - great photos. Your finish is absolutely gorgeous, as always. Can't wait to see what you have been stitching for LHN as it is sure to go on my wish list. Congrats on your weight loss and sorting your house out always a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to see a post with you - and I'm right there with you on life getting busier when the kids get older. Didn't ever think that would happen, but it certainly does! Wonderful pictures of your children and of course, your stitching!!

    Congratulations on the weight loss too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now just how have those kiddos grown up so fast? Huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vonna, glad to see you post again as I missed you. You are enjoying your kids events, being engaged with them and time goes fast so keep up the great parenting. I love the ornament finishing...so sweet and just "you". I know you will have a great time at Cathy's retreat!!! I want to get to that one some day too! Tell us all about it when you return. I just got back from PALS and that was a fun time at the beach! pj

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to read your post! Congratulations on the weight loss/exercise program!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I envy your being all done with your house. And in short order! Good for you. More importantly, great to see healthy happy kids in a loving home. Congratulations on the weight loss. Not easy. Been there, haven't done that! Wonderful stitching and finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vonna - it's so good to hear from you! Sounds like you've been keeping very busy. Congrats on the weight loss, that is such an accomplishment. Can't wait to see the Little House piece. Enjoy these teen years, Vonna, they pass by in the blink of an eye!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vonna -- So good to see a post from you and that your kids are keeping you busy! Life is good:)))

    CAN NOT WAIT for the retreat in just a few days now. I spent the weekend getting my stitching bag ready and can't wait to stitch with you!! WOO HOO!! We are all going to have such a great time! BTW -- LOVE your exchange piece. So so cute:))!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to see your post. I actually went to your blog last night to see if I had missed a post

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just thinking the other day about how you were and where you were: I was using your tutorials (again) and thought it had been very quiet over here. Glad you are back with us and very excited to see what you have been stitching. Oh the suspense! Love the finish, perfect. And just what I was looking for to finish off an exchange. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear life is good! Those kids do sure keep you busy and happy lol.
    Soon enough they are gone, the house is always clean and it is way too quiet. Eventually, the grandkids come to make noise lol.
    Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to meet you, Vonna! See you this weekend at the retreat.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to see that your kids are so active! You go girl with the loosing weight! I don't run and couldn't so the job/walk thing must be working for you! Lovely little finish you made! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you're back blogging. I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back Vonna - I've missed your upbeat blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  18. contente de vous lire !

    bisous de france

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the updates on your kids and totally love your exchange piece!!!! That red ticking was inspired!!!

    Today is Monday. 3 more sleeps until Thursday dawns and then we can meet up in Shipshewana!!!!!!I am beyond excited! Can't wait to be immersed in the world of stitching craziness for 4 days!!!! Can't wait to meet you and geek out about stitching!!!!! So much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vonna - you are SO lucky to be going to Cathy's retreat! I order from Cathy and she is just the sweetest person and most efficient shopowner. Congrats on the exercise and weight loss - I am trying hard and have lost a little but need to incorporate the walking - just so hard with my work schedule. Glad your kids are well and your house is in order. LOVE your LHN exchange piece - it is so precious - I know the recipient will be tickled pink. Keep on your prayer track and all will be good. I'm going to a rug guild retreat this weekend myself so I know what you mean about being excited to be away with liked minded friends Enjoy! Melody

    ReplyDelete
  21. p.s. I need to talk to you about the jog/run thing. I have to get serious about weight loss/exercise upon return from the retreat. Maybe we can take a walk/run over to the very great store called Yoder's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA HA HA HA HA!!! Count me in :)

      Delete
  22. aww me so happy to see your post..
    big hugs cucki xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great ornament; love the finishing! Enjoy your retreat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good to hear from you - your ornament is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Vonna, lovely to see you back. I know what you mean. My three are now 24, 21 and 19 but they still take up a lot of our time, which we love. As three grown up children (two of them still at home) they still want to spend time with their Mum and Dad, which we also love. Enjoy!

    Love your ornament - gorgeous finish, you are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad to see you posting, I learned so much recently about finishing ornaments from your tutorials. Now I can continue to get beautiful tips and see your new work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is so nice to see you back! I think many of us understand and remember the busy teen years....most of the time with fondness!! lol Congrats on your weight loss!! It is definitely not easy. LOVE the new ornament.

    Debbie in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad to see you back! I went to your sight the other day and got the 404 a groan was heard! Can't wait to see all you have to hold for us in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's so good to see a post from you!!! Sounds like you've been busy with those kids of yours -- I love seeing their pics on the sidebar of your blog. So fun! Yes, those teens keep you busy, don't they? And model stitching! Wow! Well, I've started a huge model myself now so I am going to have nothing to blog about. lol! I can't wait to see what you stitched for LHN! Love your finish for the retreat. I hope you have a wonderful time! Sounds to me like you deserve a nice getaway for a few days! And wow, congrats on the weight loss! I am so impressed! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can sure relate with how busy kids get as they age! Phew, sounds like you have really been running around. I'm glad to see a post from you. Your ornie is so cute, and I can't wait to see the sampler you are stitching for LHN.
    Take Care, and enjoy your retreat time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your finishing....I wish I could imagine the finish as I stitch the piece like some people can do. I only live about 30 minutes from Shipshewana....any I don't work Thurs, Friday, Sat or Sun....maybe I should make a drive down there and meet everyone! What retreat is going on there?

    ReplyDelete
  32. So great to hear from you! I can only imagine how busy you are but it sounds like you had an amazing summer. Love your Happy Hearts ornament - incredible finishing as always! Congrats on your weight loss and have a great time at the retreat. Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  33. Welcome back. Yes I always think that we end up busier when our kids get older as well. Congratulations on the weight loss. That's wonderful.

    I must tell you I'm a huge fan of Duck Dynasty as well. We get it downunder. My favorites are Phil and Jase lol. They give me a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm exhausted after reading about everything you and your family have done and are doing! I'm already looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Finally, I was begining to think you and your family were put into witness protection *LOL* I have so missed seeing your stitching and great finishes. Can't wait to see the big LHN you stitched. The Happy Hearts one is so cute. Your kids seem to be keeping you busy, but that's good, isn't it ? How's Ellie doing ? Look forward to your next post and what you have stitched.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful stitching, as always. I love anything with ticking.

    So true...busy kids = busy parents. We are down to our last teen at home. Our last teen, in general. The college students have passed into their 20's. I think we're busier with the last than when the other kids were home. Partly because we don't have an older sibling to help drive and partly because now BOTH parents can attend everything. No longer can I escape an away meet because a sibling needs a parent home.

    My friends with grown children keep telling me to enjoy it because once they're done, they're done. (Although, I'd dispute that because we're trying to catch all the college events we can because we never see the kids otherwise.) I can only go on faith that this is true.

    Happy stitching and keep us posted about the newest and largest LHN release....

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's great to see you posting Vonna. You have definitely been missed! I know what you mean - as the kids get older. My calender is FULL! The little freebie is so sweet and you finished it beautifully as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's so good to hear from you Vonna! I remember all too well how busy those teenage years can be. In fact, I think I'm still recovering, lol!
    I can't wait to see the LHN you stitched for Diane. I just know it will be a winner.
    Love, love, love your latest finish!! It's just adorable Vonna and the red ticking is perfecto! God I wish I was going to Shipshewana with you. I've been trying to get my sister to meet me there for several years now. Sooner or later I'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lynn...I wish you were too :) I'd love to meet you!

      Delete
  39. My goodness, long time no read. ;) You are a very blessed busy mother. Wonderful reading this. Go Pfeiffer children! Wonderful goals and progress! My DH is a big fan of Duck Dynasty. Sorry Vonna, I usually head for stitching or computer when this is on. LOL. Good to hear from you and God Bless you and yours. Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great to catch up on you and your family news, Vonna. And, yes, the teenage years will be your busiest ever!! I actually gave up cross stitching for most of my sons' teenage years (horrors!!)--we were THAT busy :) Glad the kids and you have all been enjoying running--congratulations on your 30 pound weight loss! That is fantastic and something you should be very proud of. The older you are, the harder it is to get and keep off so it's great that you're working so hard at it now.

    I LOVE your little ornament--will have to look for some of that red and white ticking the next time I'm at JoAnn's--it really looks perfect with that ornament. Can't wait to see the giant model you've stitched for LHN, too--I'm sure it's a beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great to hear what you have been doing! I remember those days with my kids. I had a calendar with different colored ink for each of them AND my husband's activities!! I sort of just followed along and washed uniforms meanwhile! I look forward to your stitching projects. This ornament is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh Vonna, it is so nice to see a post from you! I think I only recently "discovered" your site and then you kind of 'went off the air' for a bit. So it is really wonderful to read about all of your accomplishments and your children's accomplishments - you do have a beautiful family.

    Congratulations on getting your home just the way you want it and especially a big Congratulations for your weight loss/excercise triumphs!! I think many of us know how hard that fight is and what a great feeling of success you so deserve.

    I'm looking forward to seeing what amazing things you have stitched and learning so much from you!

    Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sooo Glad to here from you my friend! yes life is busy with teens and oh what fun! Your piece is beautiful as always and I am in awe that you can say my house is finished. I think I will be 99 before I can say that (lol). we have one little bird left to leave this nest and he is 22 so that is when the upstairs gets its lift.Have fun at your retreat. cant wait to see all the goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, I hear you and understand the crazy schedule!! Love your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Vonna, I don't know how many times I clicked on your blog to see if you had any new updates....Glad you are doing well and the fam too! We already knew that secret about 'Duck Dynasty'. They are soooo funny but real. My hubby loves this show...heck, he loves all those dang reality shows that show real living. He finds a new one all the time. Then hooks up with them on FB. He talks as if they are best buds. *rolling eyes*.... Maybe they are! LOL Any who, look forward to a new post and congrats on the weight loss and exercise.... send me some of that get up and go...mine is gone! LOL Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  46. Vonna, this is totally cool! I am also working on the "Happy Hearts" right now!! Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Vonna, it is so good to see a post from you - good to see you and the family are doing well! Congrats on your weight loss - you can be so proud! Beautiful stitching and finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  48. You have been missed everywhere I 'normally see you'.
    I hope to attend the Inspired Needle retreat next year....didn't plan well enough in advance this year.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Glad to see you back.Great pic's,nice finish and congrats on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I was beginning to worry about you. I hear you....life does get more hectic as the kids get older. Wow, so many runners in your family. Congrats on the 30# loss, that's awesome.
    Thank you for the link to Happy Hearts. Love your finish on this one.

    Will we be seeing updated pics of your home???

    Have a wonderful time at the stitching retreat. :D

    ReplyDelete
  51. Vonna, it was great to see another blog entry. I can't tell you how many times I looked to see if you had an update. I knew you had to be busy :) I enjoyed reading about the kids activities. I look forward to the new LHN design that you stitched. Congrats on the weight loss. I'm thinking you will lose more just keeping up with the household and all the activities. Being a taxi mom has to account for something, ha !! I think we would all enjoy seeing pictures of your home, your decorating ideas are always so refreshing. Happy Hearts finish is adorable and another perfect finish by you; you are so talented and creative. Have fun at the stitching retreat. I look forward to your next blog entry !!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hey, girlfriend! You have certainly been missed. I enjoy reading about the life and times of the P... family. Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle. When the tough gets going, just know you're doing something wonderful for your family AND yourself. Looking forward to seeing more of your stitching and lovely finishes. Have fun at your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great goings Vonna. Seems we are sailing the same boat. Good to see you out.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  54. good to see a post from you as I was catching up tonight. And hope your time at Yoder's was fun and fabric filled. I love that town!

    Congrats on the weight loss - it sure is a hard thing to do and definately a good thing for your health - Lord knows I need to get on the stick and then stay with it!

    Love your stitching finishes - you are so talented. And looking forward to seeing your model stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I'm tired just reading about all your activities!!! I don't know how you keep up with four active kids - I have a hard enough time with one (who just participates in one activity - Boy Scouts).

    Before you know it, they will be out of the house and with their own families, and you will have all the time in the world, but I bet you will miss running around after them!

    Have a wonderful week, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Glad to hear that you & yours are well. Congratulations to everyone on their achievements

    Your ornament is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  57. Vonna, the kids look great! Where is sweet Ellie and what is she up to? Nothing makes a mom's heart happier than to see her kids doing well! Congrats on the weight loss! I would love to see pictures of the your decorating-don't hold out on us! Thanks for visiting me and my blog too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following me on my blog. If you have any questions, please ensure that your e-mail is left or associated with your profile so that I may contact you.
My sincere thanks for taking the time to comment!
~Vonna
The Twisted Stitcher